Notices

Trying not to just hate everything

Old 11-23-2019, 02:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying not to just hate everything

I have over 4 months sober now with some help from the legal system and the program they put me on as well. That part I'm actually ok with because it has kept me from making even worse decisions. Been beyond frustrated with landing a job as I submit my resume every chance I get. Waking up everyday feeling completely useless. Sure being sober is great, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm beyond stressed about a lot of things I wont go into.

Sigh...whatever.

Just feel freaking hopeless.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your efforts bear fruit soon, man - keep the faith and stay with it

D
Old 11-23-2019, 02:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

4 months is great. Don't throw that achievement away. Things will work out.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hiya getright, I hear you. I am feeling that way too today.
Congrats on 4months!
Hope things pick up for you, I am sure they will but it takes time right?
All the best
Old 11-23-2019, 02:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One thing is for sure and that drinking alcohol will make you much less likely to gain and keep employment. Stay sober, keep the faith, and all will turn out 🙏
Old 11-23-2019, 03:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah I'm with ya man. Life's getting harder for me too. Need some respite soon.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by getright15 View Post
I have over 4 months sober now with some help from the legal system and the program they put me on as well. That part I'm actually ok with because it has kept me from making even worse decisions. Been beyond frustrated with landing a job as I submit my resume every chance I get. Waking up everyday feeling completely useless. Sure being sober is great, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm beyond stressed about a lot of things I wont go into.

Sigh...whatever.

Just feel freaking hopeless.
Adversity, frustration, helplessness can be the price of admission to a meaningful life, if you let it.

Albert Einstein posits, "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." My favorite, "Out of the Box," thinker, Jesus Christ made it simple, yet profound, when he said, "Come to me all those who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest." Mathew 11:28. "Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Mathew 11:29-30. Christ uses three key verbs when speaking of stress management: come, learn, and take. Christ wants us to come to Him, collaborate with Him, learn from Him, take on a lighter load. God does not give us overcoming life— He gives us grace, as we overcome. Discomfort is the price of admission if you want to have a meaningful life. The strain of life is what builds our strength. If there is no strain, there will be no strength. The number-one contributor to growth is difficult circumstances.​ All addictions are a by-product of how we decide to manage difficult circumstances.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

if anyone knows me by now...i am not a big advice giver...i just tell my story.

i wake up sometimes feeling like a train hit me for what ever reason.

as i make my way, feeling rough, i thank my God that I am no longer dealing with an active addiction to boot.

life sometimes has been relatively hard for me, but i look i the mirror and see my sober eyes and am just glad i don't have a hang over.

i remember 5 years ago....seeing a nice lady at the grocery store. here i am with my rock star lifestyle blah blah...in my mind doing great...except i am a drunk currently hung over.

here she is...her eyes as white as virgin snow, natural endorphins doing their thing, sleeping good.

yay for all of us here living life naturally (or working towards that end) sober. as we were intended.

that is what i am thinking.

Love ya'll!

thanks.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope you stay strong and push forward. If you've managed to beat alcohol for four months, I have faith that you will find the strength to beat any obstacle that is front of you. John
Old 11-23-2019, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I appreciate the kind words from everyone. Encouragement is really needed as I have some really dark days today included. I get why people decide to check out I really do.

I just never had the guts to do it. It is what it is.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're feeling so down, I really am. Job-hunting is a daunting experience, but it will pay off. Try to do something nice for yourself this evening.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You need some puppy therapy! Do you like Goldens?

Old 11-23-2019, 01:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

This one is hilarious. Love Tucker.

Old 11-23-2019, 01:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by getright15 View Post
I appreciate the kind words from everyone. Encouragement is really needed as I have some really dark days today included. I get why people decide to check out I really do.

I just never had the guts to do it. It is what it is.
If you need help or a little support I hope you'll check out these links getitright.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ease-read.html

D
Old 11-23-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've felt that despair myself, many times. The one thing that keeps me going is practicing gratitude every day.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 11-26-2019, 09:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just more bad news each day. Been doing everything I possibly can to stay in a decent mood. I just feel like freaking snapping. No end in sight with this *******
Old 11-26-2019, 09:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're not giving much on specifics but one thing I had to learn when I got sober is that getting sober won't fix everything.

I'll still be tested - sorely sometimes. Often Life is not fair.

But what recovery gives me is a level playing field to work from. At any moment, I'm free to take whatever opportunity comes my way.

Sometimes those opportunities take a while and I'll have to deli with a lot of disappointments, but as long as you're doing all the right things it will work out somehow man

Keep looking & working for what it is you want,

D
Old 11-26-2019, 10:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can relate. I am practically unemployable because I can't pass a background check. Criminal (DUI), credit (bankruptcy), and no professional references because I have been fired so many times indirectly and directly because of drinking. I can only get sales jobs that don't care about doing background checks because you can be fired any time if you don't sell. I hate sales with a passion. Also, I am 43, which in the corporate world is ancient, so too old for entry-level positions. Can't start over from scratch in a new industry. I worked in finance 7 years but no way any financial company will hire me with all the red flags I raise.

I am not depressed or suicidal, but I do understand why some people take their own life. I feel there is no place anymore for me here. Already lost everything and spend 99 percent of my time alone. I fear homelessness is not too far off in my future at which point I fear I will become suicidal. Sobriety has done nothing to really change things.

Things are bleak for me. However, deep down I know that this is not the end for me. There is something out there that I haven't tried yet. I can't be this unhappy forever. I won't give up. Neither should you.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best of luck to you both. Its been my experience that everythign does work oit, maybe not the way I expected or wanted, but it works out.

We just have to keep doing the next right thing...and keep the faith

D
Old 11-26-2019, 11:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Didn't get the job I was offered cause of the background. Turned out the place I needed to send my paperwork to court showing I was completed with the program didn't do it. Job wasn't going to wait until my next continued court date. Good luck they said....yeah right. Got more bad news about possibly going to jail, but its based off lies! Is it me or everything is about money? So I get put on this other program the state does, but you're supposed to pay for it weekly. Umm if I'm not working its pretty hard to do so as it is really expensive, and I'm not on it by choice. So I pay what I can when I can. Not good enough I'm told. It gets deeper than that, but just going to leave it there.

Yea I know I put myself in this mess. As I try to get myself out I have other bs trying to keep me in it.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You're not giving much on specifics but one thing I had to learn when I got sober is that getting sober won't fix everything.

D