SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Still uncertain (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/443599-still-uncertain.html)

faith823 11-22-2019 03:08 PM

Still uncertain

Hi,

I am still uncertain about my immediate future. I mean in terms of employment. Daily schedule putting my life together.
I did not go to the 1pm meeting today. I am going to a meeting tonight at 730P. I have been reading the internet and looking at job boards. All week. I have not done anything productive but my meeting and reading.
I have no motivation. So weird. I am going to make a to do list
and tackle some things I have been meaning to do.
paperwork/followup DR/phone calls/job assessments
oh and organize my living space.

anyhow this week flew by and I hope to get my 30 day chip this weekend.
Thanks for all the support. I hope everyone is doing well and has a great
Sober friday evening

HeadEast 11-22-2019 03:20 PM

Congratulations on 30 days. I had that lack of motivation for a while. The to do list is a great idea.

Dee74 11-22-2019 04:08 PM

No pun intended but I have faith you'll find another job :)
Keep putting yourself out there :)
congrats on 30 days too!

D

faith823 11-22-2019 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 7315962)
No pun intended but I have faith you'll find another job :)
Keep putting yourself out there :)
congrats on 30 days too!

D

Ha ha- thanks DEE

every time I see your Avatar it puts me in a good mood

It just screams Happy to be alive

Anna 11-22-2019 04:27 PM

Faith, I think a To Do list is a really good idea. I was quite lost in early recovery, and having a To Do list every day helped me to feel like I was moving forward and accomplishing something.

Good luck with the job search.

least 11-22-2019 04:46 PM

Some tasks seem insurmountable. But just do a little bit at a time and before you know it, the task will be done. :hug:

RecklessDrunk 11-22-2019 05:45 PM

Looking at job boards sounds like something productive, a good start.

I hate sales but I considered myself a self employed salesperson after I got fired. One sale to make, myself. To put it mildly I suck at sales, my skill set is totally different.

It was tough. It was summer time and I live sort of near the ocean so I treated myself to half a day per week just relaxing on the beach. On a weekday so it's not too crowded. Other than that I set a strict schedule to try an accomplish my quota of one sale to some employer.

I got up early every morning. Got showered and dressed, even if its shorts and a tank top. Searched job boards. Tweaked my resume. Brushed up on my skills, for me excel tricks vba stuff and what not, dabbled in a new programming language. I read and looked up you tube vids on how to interview better. There is so much free crap out there you can learn, even just on you tube. Kept a list of where I sent resumes, call backs from my resume. It took quite a few calls about my resume to lead to one real interview and I struggled with those bad, but I never gave up.

I now make considerably more than before I got fired. It was not easy for me, it went on for months and months. I went to several meetings per week, ate healthy, exercised, stuck close to God, prayer, meditation, persistence. I was really discouraged at times but I never quit.

faith823 11-22-2019 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by RecklessDrunk (Post 7316012)
Looking at job boards sounds like something productive, a good start.

I hate sales but I considered myself a self employed salesperson after I got fired. One sale to make, myself. To put it mildly I suck at sales, my skill set is totally different.

It was tough. It was summer time and I live sort of near the ocean so I treated myself to half a day per week just relaxing on the beach. On a weekday so it's not too crowded. Other than that I set a strict schedule to try an accomplish my quota of one sale to some employer.

I got up early every morning. Got showered and dressed, even if its shorts and a tank top. Searched job boards. Tweaked my resume. Brushed up on my skills, for me excel tricks vba stuff and what not, dabbled in a new programming language. I read and looked up you tube vids on how to interview better. There is so much free crap out there you can learn, even just on you tube. Kept a list of where I sent resumes, call backs from my resume. It took quite a few calls about my resume to lead to one real interview and I struggled with those bad, but I never gave up.

I now make considerably more than before I got fired. It was not easy for me, it went on for months and months. I went to several meetings per week, ate healthy, exercised, stuck close to God, prayer, meditation, persistence. I was really discouraged at times but I never quit.

Thank you so much! I lost a very high paying gig - (for my field) but it was working from home until midnight and all day Sunday from home.
I lost it fast-
I hope to find something with more structure and less Isolating

Thank you so much. I will never give up.
I just attended a great meeting. Someone received their 33 year chip.
And this particular meeting started in 1962. It was so nice to get out and listen to all the inspiration.

fini 11-22-2019 07:34 PM

i still use to-do lists, faith.
sometimes just because, oddly, i tend to forget the big things.
and in times of low motivation, it helps me to make one that includes things broken down into smaller parts. that way, i get to mark several as done at the end of the day instead of still seeing mostly “big” undone ones.

Callas 11-22-2019 10:05 PM

Routine worked for me early on. It still does to an extent. I stuck to my plan and filled all those empty( previously drinking) hours. I need a new plan now, not yet sure what it will be. Working on different permutations. Best wishes to you.

faith823 11-23-2019 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by fini (Post 7316057)
i still use to-do lists, faith.
sometimes just because, oddly, i tend to forget the big things.
and in times of low motivation, it helps me to make one that includes things broken down into smaller parts. that way, i get to mark several as done at the end of the day instead of still seeing mostly “big” undone ones.

it helps me to make one that includes things broken down into smaller parts

YES - Thank you-

brighterday1234 11-23-2019 08:18 AM

Stay sober and there is hope. Drink and there is no hope. That is certainly the case for this alcoholic.