Notices

Hi everyone 😁

Old 11-21-2019, 03:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone 😁

Hi there! I just stumbled across this page and am so glad I did! Thought I’d throw out a question to you all- so I’m 75 days sober, but unfortunately don’t feel that much better physically. I eat relatively well, my job is an all day every day workout so I get plenty of exercise but I still feel hungover and groggy most days. Is this a normal thing?

Also, does anyone know of a good way to meet other sober people? Turns out my friends I drank with were just that, merely people to drink with, they virtually all stopped calling once I got off the booze.

thank you for any feedback! ❤️
Old 11-21-2019, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 75 days. That is wonderful. I do not have much advice about how you should physically feel, I know my hangovers were very severe. I could barely stand. So any relief from that at this point for me is welcomed (27 days).

I just googled Sober activities and a wealth of information came up.
Local areas even have Sober communities you can join and post on.
I noticed in Boston getting Sober has become "hip" another form of self care, self intuition and education about yourself. There is now a fancy alcohol free and mocktail bar on Boylston St.
Also life long friendships, gatherings and 12 step work at AA opens up a whole new world of connection to Sober people.

I wish you the best of luck. I hope you physically feel better. Everyone is different but keep going in the right direction and it can only be better.
Also maybe try reading some inspirational books. Meditation might also do wonders for the mind and body.

keep posting. Lots of great support and sober companionship here as well.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sober people who have lots in common can be found at AA which is great as it’s always somewhere you can go and connect with likeminded individuals (mostly). For me I dedicated my life to recovery and so social activities came to me in my new mindset. It takes time though.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boredguy85 View Post
I’m 75 days sober, but unfortunately don’t feel that much better physically. Is this a normal thing?
If you are already physically engaged on you job and in good condition, I think it's doubtful you will feel much better physically, apart from the absence of hangovers. If you are already pushing your body, what more can you do? Sure you could go into serious training for the Olympics, but NORMALLY people don't do that. You can of course, but don't expect big gains if all you do is stop drinking.

When I let myself get out of shape, usually over the winter, I'm more or less kind of miserable and weak and noticeably slow when I start hiking the trails. I notice improvement in about three weeks and plateau at about two months. If you're already in shape, you're already there, unless you want to run marathons. But this "no pain, no gain" thing is hardly the norm. I would never discourage anyone if they wanted to take it further. But I wouldn't expect to feel better physically without additional exercise.

If you want to meet sober people, sobriety meetings are a good way to do that. Grocery stores and laundromats work also, but of course there's no guarantee about the sobriety part. As a general rule of thumb, I'd stay out of the bars. Your place of employment is also a good place to make friends.

Good job on the 75.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there! I just stumbled across this page and am so glad I did! Thought I’d throw out a question to you all- so I’m 75 days sober, but unfortunately don’t feel that much better physically. I eat relatively well, my job is an all day every day workout so I get plenty of exercise but I still feel hungover and groggy most days. Is this a normal thing?

Also, does anyone know of a good way to meet other sober people? Turns out my friends I drank with were just that, merely people to drink with, they virtually all stopped calling once I got off the booze.

About how much sleep a night do you get?
Old 11-21-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Congrats to 75 days, that is fantastic!

I was not feeling "normal" again until about 3 months it started to lift, 6 months was much better and by a year I felt like a functioning human!

I also got rid of all my so-called friends. When I started this journey I also found out there were just drinking friends.
The world has so many people to offer, I prefer to be around people who were not drinking like myself.

Best wishes,
DC
Old 11-21-2019, 08:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faith823 View Post
Congrats on 75 days. That is wonderful. I do not have much advice about how you should physically feel, I know my hangovers were very severe. I could barely stand. So any relief from that at this point for me is welcomed (27 days).

I noticed in Boston getting Sober has become "hip" another form of self care, self intuition and education about yourself. There is now a fancy alcohol free and mocktail bar on Boylston St.
Also life long friendships, gatherings and 12 step work at AA opens up a whole new world of connection to Sober people.

I wish you the best of luck. I hope you physically feel better. Everyone is different but keep going in the right direction and it can only be better.
Also maybe try reading some inspirational books. Meditation might also do wonders for the mind and body.

thank you for the response! Most days I feel very weak, a bit lightheaded at times, off balance, would rather sit than stand, etc. but I’ll ride it out and see how it goes. I do have one friend from work who doesn’t drink I hang out with regularly but for a 34 year old man I feel it difficult to make new friends lol. I’ll look into the other options though, thank you again!
Old 11-21-2019, 09:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ciowa View Post
About how much sleep a night do you get?
average is about 6.5-7 hours
Old 11-21-2019, 09:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faith823 View Post

thank you!
Old 11-21-2019, 12:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you for the response! Most days I feel very weak, a bit lightheaded at times, off balance, would rather sit than stand, etc. but I’ll ride it out and see how it goes. I do have one friend from work who doesn’t drink I hang out with regularly but for a 34 year old man I feel it difficult to make new friends lol. I’ll look into the other options though, thank you again!
It just dawned on me that maybe now that your system is cleared of substances. You can experience and pay attention to how you physically feel in a organic /natural way. Dizziness, light headed, lethargic. I may have felt that way but contributed the alcohol. Maybe a GP physical and bloodwork. There may be a medical resolution to help you better.
Good job posting, being aware !
Old 11-21-2019, 02:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Boredguy

I got into hobbies again - things I neglected and new things I wanted to do...I did some community volunteering..I reconnected with old friends who'd drifted away when my drinking became a problem.

I did my best to build a sober life I love.

If you start thinking about what that might mean for you, I think you'll have a good head start

D
Old 11-21-2019, 04:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. That's a good idea, to see your doctor for a checkup, just to be sure there's no physical reason to feel 'off'.

Congrats on 75 days sober!
Old 11-21-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 11-21-2019, 05:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

With all the daily exercise, make sure you're well hydrated - one of the symptoms of hangover I found and welcome
Old 11-21-2019, 05:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Boredguy85, welcome and congratulations on your 75 days!

I am around 120 days now and it is only in the last few weeks I have started to feel better. I wasn't the heaviest drinker out there either! Like you, I have an active and healthy lifestyle. Sometimes I wondered what the point was when I still felt like I had a hangover and slightly ill most days. Mornings are still not great but I am coming around to the idea that I am just not a morning person. Overall I am really coming out the other side though and feeling tremendously improved.

I understand the boredom and need to put some effort into meeting new people too. I am thinking I will look at some social groups online soon. There are social groups for everything these days. We will carve new lives out for sure.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

but I still feel hungover and groggy most days. Is this a normal thing?

I had "brain fog" pretty bad for a solid 6 months and then it only slowly got better. It really took a long time for me to start feeling mentally sharp, hang in there it's normal.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Boredguy it may be a good idea to get checked by a doctor. When is the last time you had a physical?
Old 11-22-2019, 02:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I wrote your post at 80 days clean.

It took a lot longer for me to get very well. It has taken the betters part of 4 years to feel like a new man.

It is brain damage from drinking. I drank off and on for about 45 years. I am heavily kindled. A relapse would send me into mental abyss..5150...physcosis...etc etc etc.

No way I am going out like that.

Sobriety is for people that can't handle their booze. That is me.

Yay!

Thanks.