Notices

Spoil Yourself Weekend - Weekenders 22 - 25 November 2019

Old 11-21-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Sittin' here wishing I could drink. I can't so I won't, but my mind is trying to take me there. Having a big mug of sleepy time tea, will be going to sleep soon.

Liquor store thefts have been top of the news lately. The other night a serious assault happened to a store worker. The government run monopoly is responding by outfitting all stores with a secure entrance, where you have to present your ID to a guard before being allowed in.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you're wanting to drink STDragon. I hope you go to sleep sober and wake up so happy that you didn't drink! The liquor store ID will not be a problem for you, since you don't ever have to go there again.
I'm definitely going to be here this weekend. I have to work Saturday, putting on a pre-thanksgiving dinner for the residents of the senior living community where I work. But I will certainly take some time to do something nice for myself. Not sure what yet, but I'm thinking of taking the puppy on a short hike in the woods.
I'm grateful for another sober weekend!
Old 11-21-2019, 09:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome joe801, the frog seems to have it sussed on how to have some quality me time, enjoy!

Dragon, that’s a great idea about showing I.D’s before entering shops. I found playing the tape forward to the end, stops any romantic ideas creeping in.

I remember one time in my drinking years being in the supermarket and trying to get enough booze without looking like an alcoholic. When I happened on an old friend who told me there was on offer on some wine, 6 bottles for the price of 4 or something.
What stood out for me is that I could buy 6 bottles of this plonk without looking out of place.
I mean really, how our addictive brains work! If I was told a certain meat (that I didn’t even like much) was on offer if I bought 6 packs it’d be cheaper, would I rush to buy it? Absolutely not! But I’d have chucked any old booze down me because I could buy 6 bottles.

Getting an handle on our addictive brain gives us a chance to stomp on thoughts that creep in, knowing how crafty it is.

Sober369, a hike through the woods with your pup sounds like a good way to start the weekend, enjoy.

I woke up thinking of a walk in the beach, but that changed when I opened the door to let the cats out and saw the rain. I am hankering after going to Normanby Park to catch all the autumnal colours before winter truly gets in, though it has its beauty then as well.

Right, going to see if cats wanna dive back in.

Catch you later xx
Old 11-21-2019, 09:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome back Willow, nice to see you.

Hi Joe and welcome, well done on your sober choice for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Dragon I hope the pesky cravings passed. Amazing how they come out of nowhere and become so troublesome at times.

Sober369 I love a long walk in the woods with my dogs. In early sobriety I was out walking all day long to the point of exhaustion to help with the crippling cravings I was having.

Mags in the the end I didn't care who thought what in the shops, long as I got my fix. I was buying a bottle of vodka in the local petrol garage one day and was asked 'any petrol today?', I picked up the bottle and said this is the only fuel I need!

Off to the vet again this morning, Matilda is having bladder problems so having some blood tests. She has to fast so Alfie and I are fasting too, its only fair . Its a hungry house just now.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:07 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily that’s so nice that you’re all fasting for Matilda. I hope blood tests help towards resolving the problem. crikey you was honest in the garage, I was the opposite, hiding, planning.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Kaily, it’s good to be back

I went for an hour walk on the beach, first time I’ve walked along the beach in months!
Thanks for the idea Mags!

Old 11-21-2019, 10:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Oh wow that is beautiful Willow.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders joe801!

I hope the craving passed quickly Dragon.

I wish Matilda good luck at the vet.

Enjoy Normanby Park Mags if you go.

I used to have 5 or 6 regular outlets I would buy my booze in order to conceal my daily consumption from the sales staff. Mr sad.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:24 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Magsie

Saou, I was just the same. Thankfully we don’t need to bother now!

Willow, oh wow, it looks beautiful there. ❤️
Old 11-22-2019, 12:55 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

good morning weekenders. Happy Friday.

since we're spoiling ourselves:
Pooh always liked a little something at eleven o'clock in the morning, and he was very glad to see Rabbit getting out the plates and mugs; and when Rabbit said, "Honey or condensed milk with your bread?" he was so excited that he said, "Both," and then, so as not to seem greedy, he added, But don't bother about the bread, please."

Old 11-22-2019, 01:00 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

^ "so as not to seem greedy" always makes me smile when I read that line
Old 11-22-2019, 01:48 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Happy Friday to all.

Willow, I am jealous. Being near water has always been the one place where I could find peace. That looks beautiful.
Joe801, I am with you. I personally cannot remember the last time I enjoyed the holidays sober.
Sao, I was doing the same thing with going to different stores. I believe that the staff at each place knew because I looked like crap.

8 hours of work and then I look forward to spending a sober weekend with all of you great people.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:29 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

It is a lovely place to live here, near the sea

Yep I used to go to different liquor stores too. And drive to different bins to discard my empties so there weren’t so many in my recycling bin. And hide bottles in my wardrobe, my bag, various cupboards and in my car. And I tried to tell myself it was normal. The voice of addiction for sure.

I just went out for Friday night dinner at the local pub. I drank 2 glasses of soda water and my partner had 3 beers. He easily has one or two or three and no more. I would have kept drinking all night if I had started. But I wasn’t even slightly tempted to drink. I know now that I have to leave it behind me and move forward with my sober life.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:38 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

And thanks for Pooh Andy ❤️
Old 11-22-2019, 03:09 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
Me too, love the quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:17 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Willow, what a beautiful photo Wow. It looks like a holiday resort
Old 11-22-2019, 03:21 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey weekender!!!! I'm still here, reading each day & typing the odd comment. Sadly I'm working tonight but I'm off out tomo eve with some of my oldest friends....mixed feelings on that, these were the people I got wasted with in my 20's, but we're all very different now, we're meeting up for a grown up dinner, no bar crawl on sight!! I'm driving myself and another & I'm aiming to leave around 10. If the conversation comes up about me not drinking I'm just gonna b honest, I'm not proud of my behaviour when I've been drunk but I'm proud of my behaviour now, so I'm just saying it straight!! Happy & sober!!

Have a great wkend peeps!!x
Old 11-22-2019, 04:10 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
Me too, loved the pooh quote.
Wish I was walking that beach with you Willow...
Old 11-22-2019, 04:38 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Friday, the weekend before the holiday season officially starts here in the US. Our Thanksgiving used to be great when I was a kid. I am an only child and it was just me and my mom thousands of miles away from any family, but she would often invite people for Thanksgiving. My best one was the one when she bought an electric dishwasher. Back in the sixties that was fancy. I was the designated dish-washer before that.

Yesterday I went to the grocery. It amazed me how many people had multiple bottles of wine and hard spirits in their carts. One lady had an entire huge cart full of hard alcohol. I couldn't even look at her face, and I wondered if she owns a restaurant or something. I can't even imagine spending that much money at one time on alcohol.

Joe801 - I'm with you. I have decided not to drink. Not for the holidays and not ever. Nice to "meet" you.

Spoil myself? I'm way too good at that.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:02 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Happy Friday!

I'll be sober this weekend.

Good to see you made it back, Willow. Onwards!