Notices

Sober life is hard

Old 11-19-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober life is hard

... but I know it’s easier than it was when I was drinking. I’ve said it before, but it just keeps being true that this year has been a mixed bag. I’ve stayed sober for over 10 months now (crazy!), shared to a number of friends that I stopped drinking (not going into all the details, but at least have not avoided the topic) and had some great successes at work and home. However, I’ve also lost a number of friends and acquaintances in various ways, totally unrelated to drinking! When that’s added to the occasions I’ve missed because of alcohol, my FOMO and self-consciousness really flare up. I don’t want to drink, but I’d be lying if I hadn’t thought recently how nice it would be to numb some of the pain I was feeling about some recent hurts. I didn’t, instead I played the tape forward, read some of your posts, reminded myself what would really happen if I drank and then went to bed early. Sigh. I’m feeling so good and healthy and on-top-of-my-game in some ways, but am also feeling like a nervous, scared little kid in other ways. Oh well, I’ll take the sober ups and downs over the roller coaster of drinking any day. 10 months and counting!
Old 11-19-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree, Keeping Up. Sober life is hard, drinking life is even harder! Life is hard. Sometimes it's not, though, sometimes it's worth all the hard stuff because the good stuff is so good.
Sending big hugs your way, and I hope you have lots of easy, good things coming very soon.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

By the way, what is FOMO?
Old 11-19-2019, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fear of missing out
Old 11-19-2019, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

There are folks that get it and those that don't.

My nephews new wife doesn't drink. She says...i am not much of a drinker.

I like that one.

I would be lieing if I said I don't still crave the buzz. But, the benefits of being a born again non drinker are way too amazing.

Folks that never drank have no clue. Active addicts, everyone on the planet that drinks a little bit to a lot, are blinded.

It has taken these 50 plus months of suffering and rebirth to show me the truth.

Yay!

There are so many sick folks out there. Most will likely at best lose years off the tail end of their life. Others will suffer booze related illnesses until they pass even sooner.

The world according to D122y.

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on ten months sober!
Old 11-19-2019, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

when I think back of my active drinking days, I worked very hard to make it work. I look back and realize how crazy it was. I also think that is why early in sobriety we feel bored. Its because we so busy getting our drinking in. For me, the boredom eventually evolved into a calmness and some serenity.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats 10 months- that is just awesome

I don’t want to drink, but I’d be lying if I hadn’t thought recently how nice it would be to numb some of the pain I was feeling about some recent hurts.

Me too- the hurts and wave of emotions I feel. But waking up hungover/sick/shaky/sweaty/nauseous the HURTS are magnified for me.
I am looking for a job- I hate interviewing over the phone- I actually hear my alcoholic voice saying - a couple of drinks to loosen up- false courage and confidence and back to being unemployable. That is all Alcohol is going to do for me.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Life on life’s terms; a really important lesson I learned in early recovery and a big part of acceptance and letting go.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I feel exactly like you now almost 9 months sober. It is hard work. I miss out on a lot of things I used to enjoy. However, the choice is mine and I stick to this road. The other one came to an end.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
I feel exactly like you now almost 9 months sober. It is hard work. I miss out on a lot of things I used to enjoy. However, the choice is mine and I stick to this road. The other one came to an end.
Careful not to romanticise drinking: also the sober path is infinitely better than the my active alcoholism one- give it time and with hard work on your recovery it’ll become a great life not a burden.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brighterday1234 View Post
Life on life’s terms; a really important lesson I learned in early recovery and a big part of acceptance and letting go.
I need to read this every hour on the hour!

Thank you
Old 11-20-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post KeepingUp - thank you

D
Old 11-20-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You can't have healing without the pain. Healing brings relief. It's not fast, but it comes eventually. Numbing the pain just delays the healing and moving through the problems/issues/memories, whatever the root cause is.
Then comes the peace, there isn't a drink or drug that can match it.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sober may be the hard way. It's easy to just take a drink but even for people who are not alcoholic taking the easy way just leads to more problems.

Life's regular problems are so much easier to handle sober.

I've had a rough day due to stuff totally out of my control. I was calm and even laughed about it. Then at the end of the day I found out the issue was not resolved, there was more! I was so upset. Even if not drunk at the moment, while actively using I may have had a meltdown right there. Maybe even destroyed things in a fit of rage, before even being drunk! I may not have handled things appropriately and thats how problems snowball.

Sometimes just saying in my head the serenity prayer: this time I got to accept the things I cannot change and I'm like oh, that's right, this is something I can not change. It's not really that bad, a normal person would be shocked that I could get this upset about it. Why dont I just do what I need to and let things play out.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Living sober was hard for me too, until I started practicing gratitude every day. It made a hell of a difference in my life, made me happier, and it made 'being grateful' a normal part of my daily life. Give it a try, if you haven't already.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 11-22-2019, 02:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
sober style

Drunk life is way harder. Nobody gets out of here alive; why not use the precious limited time we've got for something good.

Feeling like a nervous scared kid again is a great sign I'd say! Good going on your 10 months, KeepingUp.