SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Here we go (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/443511-here-we-go.html)

Itispossible 11-17-2019 05:50 PM

Here we go

Not my first time giving up alcohol, but first time here. Last drink was about 56 hours ago. It was a breeze until now.. anxiety attacks and feeling overwhelmed. How do you all keep going through this stage?

Anna 11-17-2019 06:03 PM

Welcome and I'm glad you have decided to stop drinking. Yes, the first days or week are pretty tough. Do whatever you can to look after yourself. Eat what you can, stay hydrated, and exercise too, if you are able to. There is no way to deal with it, but to get through it. We're here to help. :)

Hevyn 11-17-2019 06:06 PM

Great to have you with us, Itispossible. Posting & reading here really helped me when I was anxious & jittery the first few days. I knew everyone understood what I was going through, & I no longer felt alone.

I'm glad you've made the decision to kick alcohol out of your life. We know you can do it.

gypsytears 11-17-2019 06:09 PM

Hi & welcome Itspossible. I’m echoing what Anna said, you just have to go through it. If you’re worried about the anxiety perhaps talk with your doctor to help ease your mind. Activity, hobbies, reading, distractions along with self care can help.

rascalwhiteoak 11-17-2019 06:18 PM

Definitely self-care. Also, bed is your friend. Early bedtimes and netflix on my laptop were great in the early days. Treat it as if you're overcoming a sickness, because you are :)

least 11-17-2019 06:22 PM

Welcome to the family. :grouphug: The first several days can be awful, for me, the anxiety was the worst. As Anna said, you have to get thru it somehow because it gets better after the first week or so is over.

I went for a lot of walks when I could. I slept as much as I could too, tho sleep was hard to come by. It's very hard but it can be done. :hug:

I'd suggest sticking around here as much as you can. We can distract you and inspire you and, I hope, motivate you.

If you are looking for something to read, you can read our sobriety journeys in the Stories of Recovery forum. If you feel the urge to drink, come here instead and we'll do our best to talk you out of it. :grouphug:

It's hard at first, but it's so worth it. :) I thought I'd never make it past the physical withdrawals, but next month I'll have 10 yrs sober. :) If I could do it, so can you. :hug:

Itispossible 11-17-2019 06:40 PM

Love love love all the advice! I have tried to use my husband as a sounding board for my fears and frustrated but unfortunately he is an enabler. It is nice to know there are others here that UNDERSTAND and have been in this same position before and made it out on the other side. I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to respond, as I'm sure you all respond to these types of messages daily.

gypsytears 11-17-2019 06:49 PM

I want to suggest that you join the November class thread if you like. It’s nice to have people to bounce things off that are at about the same place quitting wise. I do hope you keep posting here too (and wherever moves you) though :)!

D122y 11-17-2019 07:00 PM

I hydrated, ate sweet things, and curled up.

My real issues didn't start to surface until around 3 months clean.

Pretty much going crazy and had to keep it together on the outside.

I can't explain all the details, but most of it is in my blog.

Basically, without sr I was doomed.

Thanks.

sugarbear1 11-17-2019 07:24 PM

4-7-8 breathing technique, look it up! I found I created my own anxiety. Learning how not to do that took time. I also knew that I wouldn't be so anxious after I stayed sober a while, and that was correct so far!

Best wishes on your sober journey!

Dee74 11-17-2019 07:31 PM

Hi itspossible :)

I tried to remember what I read here - that this is not the best it gets - it gets better - you will get through this, and you're definitely on the right road :)

D

givingback 11-17-2019 07:35 PM

Being alone is the one thing that allowed me to go back out time and time again. Find someone (in person if possible) to help you in your struggle.

SoberRican 11-18-2019 12:10 AM

Half the battle is making the decision to stop the sauce. Other half is staying off the sauce. Stick around here. Alot of real success post here. I too was just like you 198 days ago. You too will love this journey you are about to take I promise you. ✌

PhoenixJ 11-18-2019 01:47 AM

I posted here obsessively- joined lots of common threads. I read stories, fact sheets (NOT Dr Google!), journaled- and created distractions by watching doco's I borrowed from any library I could get to. It turned into a routine and I have chalked up over 3000 doco's in the last 4y. SR for daily support, plus meetings, walking, hydrating, a domestic routine- washing etc, long drives in nature listening to Floyd....keeping appointments with counsellor, psychologist and GP, art, music- anything..at first maybe only a few minutes as I was so scatter brained. But over time it worked.
Support to you IIP.

Hevyn 11-18-2019 02:04 PM

How are you feeling today, Itispossible? Thinking of you.

DriGuy 11-19-2019 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Itispossible (Post 7312424)
Not my first time giving up alcohol, but first time here. Last drink was about 56 hours ago. It was a breeze until now.. anxiety attacks and feeling overwhelmed. How do you all keep going through this stage?

Welcome.

If you've done this before you know the first few days are rough. If you haven't. We can all assure you it gets better. For me, at one week, I knew I would never drink again. Take heart. I thought quitting smoking was much harder than this.

SuficintCrlsns 11-19-2019 04:14 PM

"If you're going through hell, keep going"

I think ole' Winston Churchhill must've been talking to an alcoholic when he said that. That's the only way. You always come out the other side.

SC

faith823 11-19-2019 04:38 PM

Hello,

Hope you are feeling a little less anxious and physically better!

Itispossible 11-19-2019 08:13 PM

Thank you guys for checking in on me, you all are amazing! Still staying sober and it's honestly getting easier each day. A bit of a fear with holidays coming up but just taking it one day at a time now. Trying not to get too far ahead of myself.

nez 11-19-2019 08:33 PM

By reminding myself that this is the last time I have to do this if I keep on going.