SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Celebrated Last Night (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/443504-celebrated-last-night.html)

PinotNOmore 11-17-2019 10:33 AM

Celebrated Last Night

THREE YEARS sober as of yesterday.

And it's amazing! I can't believe how time has flown by! I used to just survive from day to day. Either recovering from the night before, trying not to drink "too much" that day, or just making it until the evening hours for it to be "socially acceptable" to start with a glass of wine. Looking back, it's clear as day that I had a major issue, but boy did I think I could control it. I couldn't. It definitely controlled me. What an awful way to live.

Things are not always easy now, but soooo much easier now that I control my life, instead of some substance!! I've been blessed beyond measure these past few years. A new baby, my marriage is thriving, my body doesn't have weird aches and pains anymore... well except for your typical "hey you're getting older" ones!

Sobriety has honestly been simple for me. I don't follow a problem, I don't go to meetings, it just is easier to not drink- than to drink, and for now that is working for me. I do know know that at some point I will probably be tested with a difficult life event. And I'll be the first to admit I'm probably not prepared for that, and need to work on a plan. But as of now, the occasional "a drink would be nice" thoughts are easily brushed off by "playing it out" (thanks SR!) And to be honest, "A drink" never crosses mind, wanting to get drunk does!! But I know now it will NEVER be worth it!!

Funny enough, through all of my early sobriety, I was so worried about people noticing/ asking why I wasn't drinking... well it took almost THREE years for someone to ask me flat out "do you not drink? Like ever?" HA! And by now, I'm comfortable enough with an honest "NOPE! It didn't work for me."

But man, I sure remember those early days... months even! Those first sober weekends, holidays, evenings! They were tough. I had learned to associate alcohol with literally every single aspect of my life. New years- champagne!! Thanksgiving- red wine! Friday nights- booze for the start of the weekend! Saturday nights- vodka shots! Tuesdays- Tacos and tequila! Sundays- football and beer! Wednesdays... well, I'm sure I found something! Just writing this out, makes me even more aware about how ridiculous things had become. But man is it hard to recognize in the moment!! :headbange

I don't post here much anymore, but I definitely stop in to read occasionally. The success stories are as helpful as the failures! This struggle is not our own unfortunately. But it sure is nice to have people who understand!!

If I can say anything about sobriety though, is that it's worth it.

100,000,000%!!

least 11-17-2019 10:53 AM

Big congrats on three years sober! :scoregood Thanks for the update and the encouraging post. :hug:

Atlast9999 11-17-2019 11:03 AM

Great post! Congratulations!!

ThatWasTheOldMe 11-17-2019 11:06 AM

Congratulations on 3 years, Pinot!

Anna 11-17-2019 11:11 AM

This is great news! I'm so glad to hear you're doing well.

Hodd 11-17-2019 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore (Post 7312219)
my body doesn't have weird aches and pains anymore...

That’s one side effect I soon forgot. I’d go to the gym after a few beers the night before and be aware of my insides moving around as I ran or whatever. I’d also get acid reflux when running which was quite unnerving at first (chest pains have that effect!), but I’d learn to live with such aches and twinges.

But these aches go within weeks of drinking. I had a mild fatty liver which cleared up within weeks. Now it’s the norm not to have aches and pains.

Brilliant job on three years, Pinot. It’s refreshing (that sounds wrong I know) to hear you’re wary of drinking again. I certainly am (a mere 11 months sober) and I know this battle is for life.

dwtbd 11-17-2019 12:02 PM

a
w
e
s
o
m
e

:)

soberclover 11-17-2019 12:48 PM

Congratulations on three years!!!!!!!!!!!!

harriet11 11-17-2019 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore (Post 7312219)
THREE YEARS sober as of yesterday.

Sobriety has honestly been simple for me. I don't follow a problem, I don't go to meetings,

Well done on THREE YEARS sober :dance8: :ring

I don't go to meetings either, or follow those pesky problems :c022:

Pinky1 11-17-2019 02:04 PM

3 years that's fantastic pinot

DriGuy 11-17-2019 02:30 PM

I remember having acceptable hours to drink, and I adhered to them too... for awhile. And then I started to disregard them, although I did feel a little guilty about it.

Congratulations.

PinotNOmore 11-17-2019 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by harriet11 (Post 7312284)
I don't go to meetings either, or follow those pesky problems :c022:

Ha! Whoops! Programs! Lol but problems as well!! 😉

silentrun 11-17-2019 03:21 PM

So awesome! I can really hear the change in you. I was here for your early days and I'm so proud of you (and all of us) for dealing with this and recovering.

Congratulations.

Dee74 11-17-2019 04:13 PM

really pleased for you PinotNoMore :)

D

MyLittleHorsie 11-17-2019 04:18 PM

This is a great thread! Congratulations.

Finalcall 11-17-2019 05:19 PM

Well done and thanks for sharing. I need to look at the bigger picture, the longer term. I am glad you are enjoying life

babycat 11-17-2019 06:08 PM

This makes me smile very deeply. Well done!!

Delilah1 11-17-2019 06:35 PM

Congratulations on three years!:You_Rock_

MythOfSisyphus 11-17-2019 11:09 PM

That's Epic!:nyu:nyz:snow::nyv:nyaa

january161992 11-19-2019 07:35 AM

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4L._SX425_.jpg