Notices

Please help! I feel like I'm losing the plot

Old 11-16-2019, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please help! I feel like I'm losing the plot

I have just used an online calculator to work out the time elapsed since my last drink (Monday, 11 November 2019; 08:00 hrs):

= 5 days, 6 hours

On Monday I took 10 mg of diazepam (valium).

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I was totally clean (no nicotine, even) and not particularly anxious.

Last night I was sorely tempted to drink. I wasn't particularly anxious at this point, but craving alcohol and so I (stupidly) took 5 mg of diazepam in order to induce sleep, and bought some cigarettes. But out of nowhere I began to feel really anxious.

I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder 15 years ago, and have ups and downs, but for the last few years I have generally been okay, though I have drunk a lot.

On Monday I didn't even drink a lot (9.5 UK units). My last real binge was Wednesday/Thursday (6th and 7th November) and prior to that it was Sunday 3rd November, as I have been desperately trying to reduce my alcohol intake.

I'm basically unsure whether I'm experiencing a mental health crisis or whether this really is a result of alcohol withdrawal (kindling). I know I have posted this on the November Class thread, but I really need to know whether anybody else has experienced this. I woke up okay this morning, but then my anxiety increased massively and I started panicking.

Can anybody relate to this? Will it pass? I know everybody's different, but it would really help me to know how other have coped and I'd like to think this will blow over in a few days.

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In recovery I've noticed we are a lot more the same than different.

The first week is rough....don't drink...treat your body kindly...positive changes will come.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It will get better

The anxiety is normal when you stop drinking and I will be honest it comes and goes but it does go away and the impending doom feeling will pass find something positive to do some thing constructive and it will help with the anxiety. We tend to have obsessive thinking and distract that by something positive. Taking Valium is very much like drinking and will make you want to drink...been there...try not to do that

Im 5 months in and still have bouts with anxiety actually today has been really hard but IT DOES GET BETTER your mind takes time to adjust without the alcohol, alcohol does a lot of damage to our minds and time will heal it. But know that you are not alone in this there are many people fighting that same thing as you even right now

change your focus as hard as that may seem and it will pass you can do this without alcohol you are the one in control don’t give that control up
Old 11-16-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Meant to add

i meant to also say that when the anxiety hits me it is normally right when I wake up and dismisses through the day also call someone and visit a friend, that helps in a big way
Old 11-16-2019, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wiscsober View Post
In recovery I've noticed we are a lot more the same than different.

The first week is rough....don't drink...treat your body kindly...positive changes will come.
Thanks. I just feel it shouldn't be this bad given my drinking pattern this month.

Originally Posted by Wmcclintock View Post
The anxiety is normal when you stop drinking and I will be honest it comes and goes but it does go away and the impending doom feeling will pass find something positive to do some thing constructive and it will help with the anxiety. We tend to have obsessive thinking and distract that by something positive. Taking Valium is very much like drinking and will make you want to drink...been there...try not to do that

Im 5 months in and still have bouts with anxiety actually today has been really hard but IT DOES GET BETTER your mind takes time to adjust without the alcohol, alcohol does a lot of damage to our minds and time will heal it. But know that you are not alone in this there are many people fighting that same thing as you even right now

change your focus as hard as that may seem and it will pass you can do this without alcohol you are the one in control don’t give that control up
I've taken 4 mg of valium and it has helped to calm me down. I was considering getting emergency help, it felt that bad.

Originally Posted by Wmcclintock View Post
i meant to also say that when the anxiety hits me it is normally right when I wake up and dismisses through the day also call someone and visit a friend, that helps in a big way
I have a friend coming round shortly. Thanks again.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think if you continue to grab on to these anxious thoughts and let them spin for 45 minutes like you've obviously done this morning, then you are giving them power.

We have something like 60,000 to 70,000 thoughts a day. Random thoughts, and a lot of them are garbage. Most of them are insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but recognizing and dismissing them or actively moving on from them is the key.

You are not a hostage to your mind.

Have you read this in the Anxiety forum? It's one of the sticky threads:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...anagement.html (Emotional Memory Management)
Old 11-16-2019, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

5 days of sobriety is great, but for me, it took longer than that for my anxiety to diminish. I was a mess for the first week. After about 3 weeks, the anxiety became more manageable.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When the mind gets busy with negative thoughts, it enters the danger zone. Try to develop some techniques to quiet the mind. Some people do yoga, I do breathing exercises. hang in there.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I definitely had and have thoughts of impending doom. Living on borrowed time is how I recently explained it to someone.

Those thoughts go away completely when I am engaged in some activity. I don't even realize they go away. It is like falling asleep. I never realize I have just fallen asleep. I don't realize the doomy thoughts go away.

I count my blessings, gratitude, when I get gloomy sometimes. Recently I added the thought of how insignificant I am in the grand scheme of things considering the time that the galaxy etc has been doing it's thing. I pray that i will get to be an angel when i die.

I would love to be a guardian angel. Call me weird, i don't really care. We are all just blips really anyway.

But, i am a proudly sober blip. Being super clean helps me have a laugh,.

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with Anna. For some of us it just takes longer to feel better. It took me 3 to 4 weeks, and those 3 to 4 weeks aren't fun at all. I like Thomas' idea to try and calm the mind.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Auchie

I think it's completely normal.

The first month was not a pleasant time for me but it got better

You can get anxiety from benzoe withdrawal too, I remember reading your doc said they're not going to give you anymore - I don't know what dose you were on or how long (and it wouldn't matter if I did as I'm not a Dr but that could be contributing as well?)