Notices

Anxiety disorder and quitting?

Old 11-14-2019, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety disorder and quitting?

I think I’ve been dealing with generalized anxiety disorder for a longggg time and I’ve just been medicating with binge drinking. Since quitting a little more than a month ago it has skyrocketed. I’m not sleeping as well, having panic attacks, can never turn my mind off. Getting scare/nervous over the smallest tasks. I don’t know if this is strictly anxiety or if it’s a combo of a form of Alcohol withdrawals as well. Regardless, anyone have any tips for helping this?(Besides going to the doc and potentially having him/her put me on a benzo or antidepressant?)
Old 11-14-2019, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Mitch!

I certainly have been feeling anxiety too lately, what with all that is going on in the world and with winter coming on. I double up on AA meetings to get perspectives on how others deal with their problems.

I am on an antidepressant, but found that brenzos actually increased my anxiety.

(Also, this thread is posted in the daily support section, so you might want to post again in the Newcomer's section for more responses)

Last edited by Coldfusion; 11-14-2019 at 10:04 AM. Reason: addition
Old 11-14-2019, 10:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

In my experience....

I think drinking caused 90% of my issues. Who is to say what came first, my anxiety or my drinking. I started drinking to get drunk at 5 years old.

From day 1, I had moments of complete serenity that have slowly increased into hours.

I don't know about seeing a physician or taking meds. That is not my area. There are folks here that are much more knowledgeable about that.

What I know is since I quit drinking everything got better.

It didn't really heal, I got used to feeling crazy, then it got better.

Suffering was my way out. Call it whatever.

The hell I went through is burned into my brain.

If I ever felt suicidal etc., I would have went to the Dr. That is the SR answer.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nothing wrong in my view taking a mild mood stabiliser for anxiety. Tell the doctor about your alcohol problem.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Gotcha, I can move the thread.

just to add, I have nothing against benzodiazepines or anti depressants and if it comes to that I could start taking them. Just as someone who’s recently come clean from such a dominant substance I really just hate the idea of putting anything in my body that I would become reliant on.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I moved the thread for you, Mitchgc27.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Mitch,

I was diagnosed with GAD I am on an ssri- it does help me.
It did not help while I was drinking on it. I think it may be withdrawels
and your body reaction to the anxiety is more intense- I believe your brain cells
are literally waiting for the alcohol fix. So hopefully doing more constructive
things to ease your anxiety your body may calm down a bit in time once it knows
its not getting the poison.

For my anxiety this is what helps me

read inspirational quotes/passages
post here- the support calms me down instantly
sip ice water during the day
loose yourself in a book/novel
walk , exercise - I think this helps the most
deep breathing exercises.
icecream
Old 11-14-2019, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anxiety is a part of a lot of peoples withdrawal experience Mitch. For some it's a new thing and for others it's a return of an old problem.

looks like you in the latter?

I had some success with breathing exercises. Its not an instantaneous change., you need to practice the breathing exercises when you're not stressed so you can use them when you are, but I use them when needed now.

https://www.healthline.com/health/br...es-for-anxiety
Old 11-14-2019, 01:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

You've treated anxiety with alcohol. It works, when the alcohol works, but since you decided to stop, well....now your body has to learn to relax without that alcohol. It will seem much worse (your anxiety) until you are comfortable being sober each day. It can be done. Can you talk with your doctor about possible medications in the meanwhile, maybe short term, to begin with then decide, when you,are more sober, what to do.....

I wish you all the best on your sober journey!
Old 11-14-2019, 01:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also have struggled with anxiety since my childhood. I have found that there are some really helpful books with lots of ideas and tips on how to manage the anxiety:

Amen, Daniel Change Your Brain, Change Your Life
Bassett, Lucinda From Panic to Power
Burns, David MD When Panic Attacks
Chodron, Pema The Places that Scare You
Doidge, Norman MD The Brain that Changes Itself
Dyer, Wayne Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life
Orsilla, Ken Mindful Way Through Anxiety
Old 11-14-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I understand and have experienced the same Mitch. I thought quitting would make it better but it actually got worse for a while. The one difference is that i had never seen a doctor or thereapist to even know that I had GAD until after I quit drinking. I waited almost a year after I quit before seeking help, and lived with all kinds of Panic and other anxiety issues the whole time. I left carts full or groceries in the line at the store, walked out of building or meetings because I thought i was going to have a heart attack, you name it.

I was also deathly afraid of trying ANY medications, which is pretty ironic since I used alcohol to self medicate for decades. But regardless, the first step was me actually accepting that I indeed had an issue with Anxiety and then seeing someone professional to help me. I did try a couple of meds with varying success, but i learned a lot more things from my counselor that helped with the SOURCE of the anxiety. Meds mostly treat the symptoms. And as others have mentioned, benzo's are basically alcohol in pill form so any doctor that knows you are an alcholic worth their salt would likely not recommend them. They are usually only used for acute withdrawal and were never intended to be used long term for anything.

The things I have used over the years to calm my Anxiety are Meditation and Mindfulness, exercise, diet, sleep, cutting out/cutting back on stimulants like caffeine and refined sugars, therapy and a lot of reading. Anna has some great books listed, another I"d recommend is "10% Happier" by Dan Harris.

In any case, you can indeed make things better but it will take time. I can truthfully say that i've gotten to the point where I really don't even think about anxiety much anymore and go about my daily life in a pretty normal/comfortable way. I don't take meds anymore, but I used to and it helped then - so don't just categorically rule that out either.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post

Thanks for that. I copied it and am on Amazon now.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I live with anxiety myself. I feel that part of it is my alcoholic mind trying to mess up my sobriety and part is a true illness. The only nonmedicated things that I have found to help are prayer and keeping myself busy. Not just busy, but busy with something useful and constructive. Helping others or simply getting those things done that need to be done seem to be the best for me.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mitchgc27 View Post
I think I’ve been dealing with generalized anxiety disorder for a longggg time and I’ve just been medicating with binge drinking. Since quitting a little more than a month ago it has skyrocketed. I’m not sleeping as well, having panic attacks, can never turn my mind off. Getting scare/nervous over the smallest tasks. I don’t know if this is strictly anxiety or if it’s a combo of a form of Alcohol withdrawals as well. Regardless, anyone have any tips for helping this?(Besides going to the doc and potentially having him/her put me on a benzo or antidepressant?)
I suffer from OCD, which is also an anxiety disorder and NOT what many people perceive it to be. My latest obsession is that I have damaged my cardiovascular system as a result of my years of alcoholism and that I will suffer a heart attack. Recently I have been frightened to leave my house, but I am gradually overcoming that.

I have been taking valium, but my GP has now told me she will not prescribe any more. I have now gone three days without taking any and I am anxious but coping.

My tips are:

- to take one day at a time, and not worry about where you will be in a week, or a month. Just cope with today.
- meditate and/or pray (I am religious, so do both).
- confront your fears - I am frightened of having a heart attack, so I have been exercising moderately so that my pulse is raised and I am slightly out of breath. I am benefiting my heart and also teaching my subconscious that I am not going to die.

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I also have struggled with anxiety since my childhood. I have found that there are some really helpful books with lots of ideas and tips on how to manage the anxiety:

Thank you for these. I will take a look and perhaps purchase one. Which helped you the most?

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I left carts full or groceries in the line at the store, walked out of building or meetings because I thought i was going to have a heart attack, you name it.
I know that feeling. I phoned an ambulance last Friday!
Old 11-14-2019, 08:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I used/use breathing techniques as well as buying the audio book..from panic to power.

Both things helped reduce anxiety as I normalized.

I have been taking a b supp and a multi vitamin. They make me edgy but give me energy. Moringa helps me too, but is tough to get down.

Herbal teas as well.

I tried most everything sr offered.

Thanks.