Notices

CHRONIC INSOMNIA diagnosis

Old 11-13-2019, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

CHRONIC INSOMNIA diagnosis

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to come on here and share something with you guys.
After almost 60 days of being sober my sleep deprivation has not subsided. In fact, it has gotten much worse. I ultimately reached my breaking point. I couldn't function, depression and anxiety kicked in ten fold. I became very desperate and scared for my overall health and well being.

I booked a visit to see my doctor, where he then shared that he believes i'm suffering from chronic insomnia. He said he will prescribe me a mild dose of a sleeping aid called TRAZODONE at 50mg.

I took it for the first time 2 days ago, and I slept like a baby!!! I woke up feeling amazing! A little groggy of course after waking up, but nothing a cup of coffee couldnt take care of. Took it again last night and slept wonderful.

I feel so much relief. I also feel disappointed that I did everything I could to ensure a better nights rest, including making healthy changes to my diet and the decision to stop the booze. Being on sleeping Medication isn't at all what I wanted. It makes me sad, but I really needed to sleep.

I guess that my brain just doesn't produce enough GABA on it's own

Has this kind of situation ever happened to any of you?

Thankxx
Old 11-13-2019, 09:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Much much better than drinking. Sleeping meds will not get you in prison or in your grave.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tweetie1988 View Post
Hi everyone,
I booked a visit to see my doctor, where he then shared that he believes i'm suffering from chronic insomnia. He said he will prescribe me a mild dose of a sleeping aid called TRAZODONE at 50mg
Thankxx
I was on Trazodone a while ago and it worked well.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's better than drinking!
Old 11-13-2019, 09:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’m happy for you that you were able to find something that works. Nothing worse than a chronic lack of sleep and it sounds like you were suffering with it for too long!
Old 11-13-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

You may also want to take a look at a book called "Why we sleep". I'm reading it now. It's VERY good.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tweetie1988 View Post
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to come on here and share something with you guys.
After almost 60 days of being sober my sleep deprivation has not subsided. In fact, it has gotten much worse. I ultimately reached my breaking point. I couldn't function, depression and anxiety kicked in ten fold. I became very desperate and scared for my overall health and well being.

I booked a visit to see my doctor, where he then shared that he believes i'm suffering from chronic insomnia. He said he will prescribe me a mild dose of a sleeping aid called TRAZODONE at 50mg.

I took it for the first time 2 days ago, and I slept like a baby!!! I woke up feeling amazing! A little groggy of course after waking up, but nothing a cup of coffee couldnt take care of. Took it again last night and slept wonderful.

I feel so much relief. I also feel disappointed that I did everything I could to ensure a better nights rest, including making healthy changes to my diet and the decision to stop the booze. Being on sleeping Medication isn't at all what I wanted. It makes me sad, but I really needed to sleep.

I guess that my brain just doesn't produce enough GABA on it's own

Has this kind of situation ever happened to any of you?

Thankxx
That pretty much describes me. I'm glad the Trazodone is helping.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

They prescribe Trazadone to recovering addicts / alcoholics in rehab to help them sleep.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes this happened to me earlier this year for several months! I never understood how desperate chronic insomnia can make a person until I experienced it myself. I was like a zombie during the day and then wide awake at night, wandering the house because I couldn't be still. I began to wonder how long I could go on like that. After I stopped drinking in 2018, I decided to go vegan and started taking certain dietary supplements. I just stumbled on to the fact that it was the supplements that were causing the insomnia and when I stopped taking them, my sleep returned to normal. I was so relieved. It is really hard to go to work on zero sleep. Anyway my point is, chronic insomnia stinks and I'm glad you have found something that works for you.