Notices

Tired of the Hamster Wheel and its Taper down time

Old 11-12-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired of the Hamster Wheel and its Taper down time

Hello all - been on here reading the newbie forums for quite a while - finally decided to join - quick summary - 30+ years of drinking , last 10 the most problematic - detox in 2009 and again last year - was able to string together some sober time the last couple of years - 3 months , 2 months and most recently almost 5 months - then last month of course I put the alcoholic guard down and picked up - ( I'm sure none of you have done that !!) Hahahahaha!! Anyways, the last few weeks was up to around 16 units a day - ( beer and vodka, the devil's blood) --- Finished up the last of the vodka this morning, maybe 4 oz - just finished my first beer of the day - I know a lot of you guys are not big on tapering or weaning, but it has worked for me on several occasions- So tomorrow starts my beer taper - 10,8,6,4,2 , jump - Just wanted to introduce myself and thank ALL OF YOU who are doing so much to help out all the newbies and veterans as well - Wish me Luck !!!
Old 11-12-2019, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Welcome Jetman, I am glad you are here. There is a lot of wisdom to be had.

Cathy
Old 11-12-2019, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to the [posting side of things.
I'm wondering, if tapering has worked for you on several occasions, why are you drinking?
I know you mention you have had some sober time in the past, so that's good.
I sincerely hope you can quit and make it stick.
Relapsing is common, I know I did my share.
Best of luck and stick around.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group!
Old 11-12-2019, 04:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

so glad you are ridding the devil's blood out of your blood stream.

I myself turned to Vodka at the end of my drinking. Awful. It is novocaine to the brain. It numbs my brain and I am wreckless.

I look forward to reading about your sober journey. You deserve the best life. Existing on the hamster wheel is just not what life is suppose to be about.

take care
Beth
Old 11-12-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Ghostlite - I ask myself that same damn question - I just have to get the moderation thing out of my head !! Its not for me - when I go , I go hard , not interested in a social buzz - I get a little sober time and I feel like I'm missing out - you know the drill - Now it's time cut the crap and get myself down to 0 - thanks again
Old 11-12-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faith823 View Post
so glad you are ridding the devil's blood out of your blood stream.

I myself turned to Vodka at the end of my drinking. Awful. It is novocaine to the brain. It numbs my brain and I am wreckless.

I look forward to reading about your sober journey. You deserve the best life. Existing on the hamster wheel is just not what life is suppose to be about.

take care
Beth
Thank you Faith ! Yes , Vodka is the absolute worst !!!
Old 11-12-2019, 05:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jetman1962 View Post
Thanks Ghostlite - I ask myself that same damn question - I just have to get the moderation thing out of my head !! Its not for me - when I go , I go hard , not interested in a social buzz - I get a little sober time and I feel like I'm missing out - you know the drill - Now it's time cut the crap and get myself down to 0 - thanks again
I get a little sober time and I feel like I'm missing out - you know the drill

I use to feel this way. Stay close to SR and people in recovery with solid sobriety. You will want what they have.

This last time my true sentiment is..............
I HAVE NO sober time or I relapse and I feel like I'm missing out.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jetman. Join a class here. Best thing I ever did. That was back in 2014 and I’m still sober. It can happen if you want it bad enough.

My best,
Arbor
Old 11-12-2019, 05:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to have you join us jetman

D
Old 11-12-2019, 05:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I totally get what your saying - I'm actually a little ahead of the game tonite, so that might be a possibility - Thanks Abraham
Old 11-12-2019, 05:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee !!
Old 11-12-2019, 05:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
Jetman. Join a class here. Best thing I ever did. That was back in 2014 and I’m still sober. It can happen if you want it bad enough.

My best,
Arbor
thanks Arbor, let me get down to 0 and I think that would be a good move !!!
Old 11-12-2019, 06:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yea, I was about to have another one after my 4th that night but it was 7 pm and I thought, what is one more beer going to do for me? Nothing. So I put it down and called it the end of my drinking career.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You make a good point - my only concern are those nasty and possible dangerous withdrawals- when I get down to around the 4 mark I will try and space them out like 4 hours apart - or if I feel my body is really needing it - at that point it is only medicine for me
Old 11-13-2019, 05:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Personally, I would recommend that you get medical help instead of trying to taper on your own. I did that a few times and it was smoother.

But regardless of the approach to sobriety, the key question is what are you going to do to stay sober for the rest of your life?

Doing what you did before, which lead to a few months of sobriety each time, did not work. Because the bottom line is, you ended up eventually drinking anyway.

Spend a lot of time on this forum (and maybe consider AA) to help you develop a "forever" plan.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well I see its not your first rodeo pal. We get it. Got yourself drink in till your sick again. The medicine syndrome. I get that too. Syart shaking and crap. Blows big time. Not to mention scary too brother. I get that too. Me? I finnaly said bleep it . drinking was no longer fun anymore. Soo I bit the bullet . had no insurance so I went the cold turkey route. And my oh my that freakin sucked. That was 193 days ago havent turned back since. No AA or anything except reading and posting here. Reading recovery stuff. And taking it one day at a time. So far so good. You can this brother. ✌
Old 11-13-2019, 06:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Congratulations on the decision to end your drinking career. As zebra said, you should probably have a plan in place. If you have read around here at all, you will hear lots of people talking about plans. That's because they are a very important part of lasting sobriety. I know in my case, I had tried to quit lots of times, and failed lots of times. Because I was doing it with no plan, no support, no accountability. It wasn't until I made a solid plan and stuck to it that I was able to get past a few days. I'll have 5 years in a couple of weeks.

My plan was:
outpatient treatment
AA meetings
Joined here and read and posted A LOT for months
Told several people in my life I was quitting and asked for help
Change in daily routine
Shedded some friends
avoided certain places and situations for a good chunk of time
Learned different ways to deal with everyday life's stresses
...and more.

Everyone's plan looks different. Find a plan that works for you.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you MLD and congrats on your upcoming 5 year mark !! And sober Rican, yes enough is enough of this **** - it really is amazing what this poison has done to us ! And you guys are right - I need a plan - but for now I'm working my way down to 0 with my taper and should be at that magic number in a few days !! Thank you all again for your support - also gonna stick around on these forums , tremendous amount of support and positive energy !!
Old 11-13-2019, 10:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Jetman! I hope your taper works and you can get sober for good.