Notices

Help Me

Old 08-11-2019, 10:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help Me

Please help me. I need to get sober, yesterday!!! I go 5-10 days clean and then epically lose for 2-3. Better than before but not near enough, please help!!!
Old 08-11-2019, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Take steps to prevent giving in to the urge to drink. Post here instead. The power to quit is within you.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Take steps to prevent giving in to the urge to drink. Post here instead. The power to quit is within you.
One day I hope to give back the way that you do. Thank you Least.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Earth Child

what about going to AA ? i find it very helpful i go to aa/na/oa
it works for others too it can work for you
Old 08-11-2019, 11:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Getting up really early and doing some jogging or walking helped me break the cycle of relapsing by making me tired and ready for bed at the time of my worst cravings in the evening. Once you have enough sober days it becomes the new normal and you won't have to struggle so hard. Good luck G4L!
Old 08-11-2019, 11:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Start changing your habits, get to a meeting and meet people and go see your doctor to see where you stand. That's my advice. And keep logging on here, you have support.

I hope you do this, because you definitely can and it sounds like you are ready!!!
Old 08-12-2019, 05:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Look you have it in you. If you can do a couple of weeks which for me is the worst phase. Withdrawal etc. From the sound of it .it takes you that time to recuperate then be like I feel better now I can booze. That's the part you got to work on. This can be done. I will put you on my prayer list. Keep coming back
Old 08-12-2019, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can do this. Minute by minute if necessary. For me I had to go to a detox and inpatient rehab , followed by AA. The idea of going to AA used to feel like a death sentence to me, but now they are my family and I feel like I'm walking on sunshine after I leave a meeting. Getting sober was the best thing I've ever done for myself. You are worth it too. I stopped fighting trying to drink like a normal person, and surrendered. Haven't found the need to have a drink since. You can do this. I know it. Please keep posting
Old 08-12-2019, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you might try to add something to your recovery program, so that after 5 - 10 days sober, you are ready to keep going and not look back. I had to make lifestyle changes to support my recovery, and it really helped a lot.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are things going Giggler?

D
Old 08-12-2019, 08:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey there! So glad to see you're here! 10 days is amazing! I remember a time when that seemed impossible and yet you did it. How about doing 10 more? Or maybe even 30?

Stick around and post! If you want to join my on my thread I just started, feel free. I stumbled after 7 whole months. Crap happens!

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ty-thread.html (The WaterOx Super Happy Fun (accountability) Thread)
Old 08-12-2019, 09:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for responding. I want to go to AA but I'm a nerd and I don't do well in social situations. I'm on day 2 of drinking, I will hopefully not buy beer on my way home tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Giggler4life View Post
Thank you all for responding. I want to go to AA but I'm a nerd and I don't do well in social situations. I'm on day 2 of drinking, I will hopefully not buy beer on my way home tomorrow.
I'd rather face an uncomfortable social situation than maybe buy beer Giggler...

feed the you you want to win the fight

you can get more comfortable socially in time

D
Old 08-13-2019, 10:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'd rather face an uncomfortable social situation than maybe buy beer Giggler...

feed the you you want to win the fight

you can get more comfortable socially in time

D
I have a friend who does AA hardcore, she is amazing. She also has to go because she got 4 DUI's. She just removed the blowing machine out of her car. I don't get DUI's because I am not like her, I drink at home, alone. I should be more like her. I feel like I would benefit from drastic intervention, but my pride prevents me. So I am a functioning alcoholic until the day that I die, which feels soon. If you can't be a good example at least be a horrible warning.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have a friend who does AA hardcore, she is amazing. She also has to go because she got 4 DUI's. She just removed the blowing machine out of her car. I don't get DUI's because I am not like her, I drink at home, alone. I should be more like her. I feel like I would benefit from drastic intervention, but my pride prevents me. So I am a functioning alcoholic until the day that I die, which feels soon. If you can't be a good example at least be a horrible warning.
I'm going to be blunt cos sometimes thats the only thing that breaks through the AV., Giggler

Noone needs to die from alcoholism.

The notion of being some kind of example or cautionary tale is romantic nonsense and pretty self indulgent if you have friends and family spouses or children who love you.

You say it's pride stopping you - I used to say that too, but I did lot of things drunk - breathtakingly publicly embarrassing things - that I'm not proud of abd still ashamed of.

I think it's fear stopping you. And keeping you in denial as regards you being functional - does the first post in this thread really sound functional to you?

Fight for the outcome you want. Fight the fear.

You have probably the finest selection of case studies in the world here of people who faced the fear and changed their lives forever.

You're not alone

If you really want to be an example, it's much much better to be an example of recovery.

Join us

D
Old 08-14-2019, 04:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello,

I spent many years drinking home alone, after I did many years of doing the party girl thing.....drinking at home is no better, just more isolating. I also thought I was functioning. I rarely went out, hid my bottles in the trash, went to work, and drank. I was a "functioning drunk." I thought I would probably die that way, alone in my room, drunk.

I have been in trouble with the law, lost the love and respect of my children, screwed up jobs, ruined vacations, and shattered my self esteem. Moving my drunken behavior from the limelight to the bedroom didn't change a thing. It only made me feel slightly better about it, like I was actually hiding it from others....yea right. I saw no way out.

Then I decided to change. It didn't happen overnight, there were many bumps and bruises along the way, and it wasn't easy. I decided to put all of that energy that I had spent on drinking into my own health and wellness. I stopped feeling sorry for myself and finally stood up to the one thing that kept me in that state of being. I said goodbye to the booze, once and for all.

Step out of this personal hell your creating and start living!!
Old 08-14-2019, 11:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I couldn't say it any better than Dee or wildflower so I'll say this:

Commit to going to bed sober tonight. Type it out on this thread.

Come here tomorrow and do that again.

Whatever thoughts you may get about drinking, tell them to go away. There really is NO reason to drink and I can think of a whole bunch of reasons to not drink.

Keep it going.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Functioning alcoholic is just a phrase alcoholics use to justify continued drinking. Ask me, I have used it for years and was probably the only one in my circle believing it. Going to work and the rest of the time drinking is not functioning. The drinking affects everything in the end, even if not always obvious it does.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Keep drinking long enough and all that talk of being functioning will go out the window. Alcoholism is progressive. In time, even the level of functionality you enjoy today will be gone. Ask us how we know.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Giggler,

While I was drinking, I got to the place many times where it would've been just fine with me if I didn't wake up in the morning. This last time, 10 ten days ago, I decided that wasn't ok at all and I was going to friggin face this thing and take myself in for detox. I didn't give it a whole lot of thought, and I'm glad I didn't. Thinking can be my worst enemy sometimes.

Screw pride, man. What good will that do anyone once you're in your grave? Or when you start doing things in public that will feel shameful? It could take a good long painful time to die an alcoholic. You're much more likely to do something that will blow your "functioning" at work.

Go to a meeting with your friend. She'll be delighted to take you and you will find out there was nothing to fear. If you don't want to talk, you just say "I just want to listen today, thanks." Bam. Easy. What you've seen in movies and tv is not a good representation of how it really is.

O