Notices

I've gotten so FAT I'm depressed

Old 11-09-2019, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've gotten so FAT I'm depressed

I've definitely been on cookie diet. Sugar takes away cravings for me. But now I'm depressed because I'm so fat.. I need a plan to get out of this mess.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Eat less, move more.

ta da.

Last edited by Dee74; 11-09-2019 at 01:53 PM. Reason: removed commercial link - rule one
Old 11-09-2019, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd suggest walking for a good easy exercise.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Eat no more than your daily recommended calorie intake and less to lose weight.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey I feel ya! I have an eating disorder and can’t stand Being overweight so I totally get it. I gained a lot of weight with my pregnancy and am still way overweight.

Try replacing some of the sugar with a sugar substitute and walking helps believe it or not. Also, I find walking helped with cravings too.

Right now you have to take it easy and forgive yourself. It is much better to be overweight temporarily while you fight your addiction. If you need the crutch of sugar that’s okay right now. Don’t beat yourself up over some extra weight. Hey, you aren’t drinking and that’s hard enough. It will get easier and you can start to kick the sugar habit.

But I do recommend you start exercising as it’s a great complement to any sobriety program. Even if it’s just a short walk at first.

But seriously, don’t be so hard on yourself. The weight will come off eventually and you need to focus on your sobriety.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Press,

I had gained some weight around the holidays last year, and then my mom died the day after Christmas and after an initial few days of not being able to eat I fell into an “I don’t care mode.” This past June I was trying on dresses in my closet to wear to my daughter’s Confirmation and none of them fit well. I picked the least of the worst and committed to getting back in shape.

I joined WW online and used the app to track what I was eating, and also committed to walking every day, which I was always pretty good at, but increased the pace and distance a little. Fast forward five months and I have lost 26 pounds, and I’m one pound below my initial goal weight. I really just needed to refocus and find a plan that worked for me. I like WW because I don’t have to restrict myself from anything, I just need to be mindful of the types of foods I’m eating and the portions.

Think about what will work for you in terms of looking at portions and food choices, and find an exercise you enjoy.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
I've definitely been on cookie diet. Sugar takes away cravings for me. But now I'm depressed because I'm so fat.. I need a plan to get out of this mess.
I would much rather be working on weight loss issues than on sobering up.

You're wise to not let things get entirely out of hand with your weight, but, to me, my sobriety trumps all other health and quality of life issues.

If I don't have sobriety, my health will decline and I will have no reasonable quality of life.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh yeah. The sugar cravings. For me alcohol and sugar are bed fellows. They act on my dopamine receptors in the same way, hence the cravings and the inability to stop once started. So its the same treatment. Remove all sugar. Hard to do and I'm not there. But it does get better. I think completely removing sugar and replacing it with ample healthy protein and fat is the only way to reduce the cravings. Over time I've been able to moderate my sugar intake....something I cannot do with alcohol. But seem to be able to do with sugar.

The last thing you want when you need that dopamine hit is chicken and avocado's. But that's what works for me. And exercise releases a lot of feel good hormones so it not only helps ya maintain or even lose weight, but it gives that uplifting feeling we need, especially early on.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I became the highest weight ever when I quit drinking. But I didn't quit drinking to lose weight, so I wasn't too concerned. It did depress me a little bit, though, too.

I'm now at a healthy weight: good food and moderate exercise helped a lot. Moderate portions, mostly plants.

Can I share something that's helped me, though? Your weight doesn't dictate who you are. It's ok to be overweight and happy. You are fine the way you are right now.

If you want to lose weight, there's nothing wrong with that. (I wanted to lose weight, too, after I'd been sober a while.) But please don't let the size or shape or condition of your body dictate how you feel about yourself.

To quote the fantastic poet, Sonya Renee Taylor: The body is not an apology. (I'd recommend doing an online search on her if you're interested.)

You're sober. You're a mom. You're a good person. Focus on that.

Being a good person isn't something that shows up on a scale and it can't be measured by the size of our waistline.

Just another way of thinking about it.

Hoping you have a good day today.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CupofJoe View Post
I became the highest weight ever when I quit drinking. But I didn't quit drinking to lose weight, so I wasn't too concerned. It did depress me a little bit, though, too.

I'm now at a healthy weight: good food and moderate exercise helped a lot. Moderate portions, mostly plants.

Can I share something that's helped me, though? Your weight doesn't dictate who you are. It's ok to be overweight and happy. You are fine the way you are right now.

If you want to lose weight, there's nothing wrong with that. (I wanted to lose weight, too, after I'd been sober a while.) But please don't let the size or shape or condition of your body dictate how you feel about yourself.

To quote the fantastic poet, Sonya Renee Taylor: The body is not an apology. (I'd recommend doing an online search on her if you're interested.)

You're sober. You're a mom. You're a good person. Focus on that.

Being a good person isn't something that shows up on a scale and it can't be measured by the size of our waistline.

Just another way of thinking about it.

Hoping you have a good day today.
You put it way better than I could CupofJoe.

Don’t let a number on scale dictate your self worth.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm definitely not a healthy eater. I'll throw in a salad now and then, but besides that, my diet is terrible. My family tends to be on the very big side, so I know it's possible for me to gain weight fast, and I have in the past. So, to try to balance my terrible eating habits, I spend a lot of time in the gym, doing lots of cardio. It helps to relieve the guilt of eating fried chicken and beans and other bad stuff. Going to a gym is not for everybody, but my advice is to find some activity you can stick with. I think that will reduce both the guilt you have and lose some weight in the meantime. Not easy, but it works. Good luck. John
Old 11-09-2019, 12:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah I’m one of those people who actually gained weight since I tried quitting. Have you gone to the sugar addicts section in the daily recovery forum? I found that helpful.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It really doesn't have to be much as far as being active. Being active is much more mental than physical. Walk maybe a half a mile some days, a quarter mile other days. It really doesn't matter what you do. The important thing is that you do it on a regular basis. Plan some activity each day. Maybe just walk up and down stairs several times a day and call it quits. Do that every day and it will become a habit. John
Old 11-09-2019, 01:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you! You are not alone- I have 15 days sober and been eating lots of junk food. I feel bloated , heavier and sluggish. Yes this leaves me depressed as well.
This thread has been very helpful. What Cup of Joe posted just clicked with me

But I didn't quit drinking to lose weight, so I wasn't too concerned. It did depress me a little bit, though, too.

and

Sobercah
I would much rather be working on weight loss issues than on sobering up.

These statements have help me very much. I just realized by getting SOBER I have a chance of getting healthy! Really healthy. I might eat healthy , work out for a week -then boom drunken bender-
I never ever could quite manage eating anything remotely healthy hung over
or managed to do any exercise to get the endorphins and blood pumping .
I was sick as a dog at least three times a month- all healthy/exercise/self care
went out the window. Self care consisted of trying to lie comfortable in my bed
so I would not jump out of my skin or be sick on myself.
so truly sad- then once I was feeling better back to my futile attempt of being healthy- which lasted at best 48 hours

Thanks for the reminders. A day at a time by working on my sobriety I will have a chance of being able to practice being healthy consistently . No more throwing the baby out with the bathwater
Old 11-09-2019, 03:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey, Press--I agree that sobriety is the thing to concentrate on first, and diet will come in good time. When I got sober I made up for years of basically hardly eating anything while drinking loads of alcohol, by gaining quite a bit of weight--at my heaviest around 195 lbs on a 5'7" frame. It did depress me a bit, but it was okay, though-I was sober and healthy. I lost weight gradually but then had a brief but disastrous relapse in December 2015 that sent me to rehab for the second time, and once again while there I indulged in three big meals a day and plenty of snacks, packing on a few extra pounds--however, the silver lining of the whole mess was, ironically, wrecking my car and not being able to afford another. I had to ride my bike, and I still do. This jump-started a truly healthy lifestyle; I average about 15 miles a day, every day--and love it. It focuses my mind and I feel real accomplishment at improving my commute time. Once you are steadier in sobriety you can focus on your weight--it doesn't matter, just as long as you don't drink . Wishing you the best on your sober journey.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nutrition is very important as is exercise. Start small, cut out one small thing and add one workout at a time. It can seem insurmountable but you can do it!

In order to curb sugar cravings, I actually went on Keto when I first got sober. First week was tough but pretty soon, I had forgotten all about carbs and sugar!
Of course, you would need to speak to your doc about this and see if it is safe.

There is a fantastic account on Instagram called Street Parking. It is basically like a Crossfit for more intro level people and busier people. It is very easy to understand and execute and they offer programs based on what you have got available to you (example: Program C is for people who have no gym but have dumbbells). I love it and the online community is super supportive (like here!).

Start with baby steps with your food and exercise and pretty soon you'll start seeing results. It is amazing what the body can do and how it can heal itself.

Good luck!
Old 11-10-2019, 05:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

I've been thinking about this thread some throughout the day.

I have to support what everyone else said about being active even it it's just short walks.

I also have to say BABYSTEPS. Give your time to just stay sober first. I decided this go around I wasn't going to go sober, cut sugar, work out like an hour a day and go the overboard with change program because it's too much.

Goal 1: Stay sober. It's the most important.

About myself - I have gained 15 lbs easy. I also however, have been seeing a Dr. for bloodwork. So, Whilst I've gained weight, my insides are doing better. My blood pressure is down, my cholesterol, my triglycerides. All sorts of good things are happening. And I’m almost 10 months into sobriety.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Press?

D