SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Close to 10 months (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/443341-close-10-months.html)

tornrealization 11-10-2019 05:27 PM

Close to 10 months

So here I am 4 days shy from 10 months sober. The thing on my mind is my in-laws. They celebrate alcohol. It was awesome I loved Southern Comfort and so did they and woot, a bonding moment for future and husband. -- and now I've changed.

I probably will write more of a my journey so far post as I'm often wanting to do at each month but then don't and just read and read,SR helps with the daily reminders of joys people reach, and stories of people just starting to remind me that there's no going back.

So today we learn his uncle-in-law has liver cancer. This is an Uncle that gets 80% booze presents for the Holidays. I'm not close to him nor is my husband. So I said, oh ok--- so no drinks then? He asked the Dr. about his 1 nightly drink supposedly the Dr said "You have liver cancer, not cirrhosis". Are you kidding me? Who's full of crap here? Dr? The Uncle? Really?

So my guess is now the family thinks its condoned drinks for him. Anyways I've declared to my husband we are not giving him Booze for Christmas. I won't be a part of this nope.

We have to think outside the box or get gift cards for food, but not booze.

Husband's birthday is coming up and he often gets no kidding, 8 bottles of whiskey. I've asked - hey - have you told them? Told them not to do that? He's sober most of the time now, so not sure what we'd do with 8 bottles of that.

I am doing fine and I often still skip boozy events. I will be bringing my own car for the Holidays to leave if needed.

Mind blown at being told Liver cancer - although "caught in time" this person still worried about their drink.

:(

I think I'm really just talking/ranting out loud cause I have no where else to be concerned about this. Thanks for the listen.

wildflower70 11-10-2019 05:36 PM

Congrats on the 10 months! Holidays can be so challenging, booze is everywhere. I'm at 14 months today, I tell most people that alcohol doesn't fit in with my desire to have a healthier lifestyle. I do a lot of yoga and meditation, so no-one ever questions me about it.....sounds like you have a great escape plan, your own ride.

You are doing great! Maybe tell your family you don't want to exchange gifts this year? There's nothing wrong with skipping the stressful part of the holidays....overspending and worrying about gifts! I have cut back dramatically on any gift exchanging, it sure saves a lot of time on returning unwanted stuff :)

least 11-10-2019 07:06 PM

Congrats on 10 months sober! :scoregood

I'm sorry about your uncle. :hug:

HeadEast 11-10-2019 07:33 PM

Congratulations on your sobriety. I think you are totally right in not giving booze.

Dee74 11-10-2019 09:55 PM

I'm sorry about your uncle in law - it is jaw dropping to look at addiction from this side of the fence.

Its is however beyond awesome that you have 10 months and you're already relapse proofing your Christmas TR :You_Rock_

PhoenixJ 11-11-2019 02:49 AM

Not ranting

10 months is solid

Support to you, TR.

snitch 11-11-2019 07:23 PM

Congrats on 10 months that is a brilliant achievement. A non alcohol gift for your uncle in law sounds perfect.