Notices
View Poll Results: How long were you drinking problematically?
Less than 1 year
0.40%
1 to 5 years
8.62%
6 to 10 years
17.64%
11 to 15 years
20.24%
16 to 20 years
16.43%
21 to 30 years
23.45%
More than 30 years
11.82%
I am recovering from another addiction
0%
Other
1.40%
Voters: 499. You may not vote on this poll

How long were you drinking problematically?

Old 11-18-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Even back when I was a normal drinker” I showed early signs of having a problematic relationship with alcohol. I used to sometimes go days, even a week or so without a drink, but tended to go way overboard every time I set out to just have one or two. Then I started to feel like I “need a drink” because of stress or whatever, so it progressed to every weekend, eventually every night, then starting earlier and earlier in the day. Thank goodness that’s behind me now, hopefully forever.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I drank some in high school and got drunk some.

But I started in earnest in September, 1975 when I went off to college.

I got sober in September, 1988 in the same place.

I was drunk almost every night during that 13 year period.

Like Melinda posts, my consequences got increasingly worse.

There was no joy or happiness in the last 5 years or so.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:40 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

11 to 15 I hate to think it's been that long... but things began to get problematic for me around 2006, and it got worse until 2009-2010 when I really knew I had a real problem.

I did join here in 2010 and have been sober off and on since then. I had about 8 months when I first joined, then I was sober for 4 years 2 months from Sept 2012-November 2016, then about 6 months earlier this year. So... actually I've been sober for more than half of the past decade, if you add it all up. Unfortunately some of the time in between really sucked.

I'm hoping this is it and that I'm not back here checking the 16 to 20 year box someday.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:06 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I never developed a problem until I was about 35.

Alcohol creeped in through the backdoor via my culinary tastes and interests. I developed a habit of drinking wine. Before I knew it, I was drinking a half a bottle a night, then a bottle, then a bottle and a half. That went on for 10 years.

Finally put a stop-gap in the whole thing around 2017 and have been making lots of progress overall, but still proving to be a struggle.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:09 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I put two to three years, but looking back now, I can see that I was drinking problematically, or even alcoholically, off and on, almost from the time I started drinking in my 20s. I really liked getting drunk, but I also had long periods, almost a decade, where drinking wasn't really a factor in my life. But I can see now that I exhibited signs of not being able to control my drinking as far back as college. I was more or less able to control it because my friends were (and still are) normal drinkers, whereas I was the guy who wanted to keep going and keep drinking, but I didn't want to be the guy among my peers who got drunk every time we went out, so I was able to keep it in check, at least around my friends. Later on, without their influence, it grew completely out of control until I was clearly drinking alcoholically.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:38 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was always drinking problematically.

From a kid when I would steal mouthfuls of beer to my teens when I first got wasted I was obsessed with changing my reality.

Drinking became a regular thing for me in my mid 20s.
I became self aware that I was drinking problematically after the first decade.
Took another decade to stop.

D
Old 11-26-2019, 09:45 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

20 years.

Certainly the last three or four were pretty much a waste of my life.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:47 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
nez

From the first time I drank. I never drank to get drunk, but every time I drank, I got drunk. The frequency of my drinking increased as time went by until it reached the point that if I was conscious, I was drinking. Drinking wasn't my problem, not drinking however was a problem. :~)
Old 12-12-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I was always drinking problematically.

From a kid when I would steal mouthfuls of beer to my teens when I first got wasted I was obsessed with changing my reality.

Drinking became a regular thing for me in my mid 20s.
I became self aware that I was drinking problematically after the first decade.
Took another decade to stop.

D
Exactly this ... Swear I couldn't think of how to answer but this is how I feel and drank too it was always there I wouldn't of wanted it otherwise

No one drinks normal all the time I stand by that everyone has a bad day it the way everyone looks at it I guess ? People drink in secret and might not drink like that at first sometimes it takes years with others the thirst was always there like when D said changing reality that was it exactly

But D here you done it again seriously

Last edited by Soberwolf; 12-12-2019 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Me
Old 12-13-2019, 02:24 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I probably always drank heavy to some extent. It was only really the last 7-8 years that things got really bad.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Looking back my drinking has been problematic from day 1 but luckily not very frequent. In the last 6 months things really ramped up with the onset of insomnia which is why I decided to quit for good.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:37 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Do your best

So from 15 to 19 you wasn't drinking problematically just asking ?
Old 01-04-2020, 10:55 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hard to say. I drank but it was not an issue until about 1983 or so. Later I realized I had a real problem and cut back. Maybe in the 1990's. But all I did was stop drinking in public, I still drank alone. Things went off the rails in the 2000's as personal issues led me to use alcohol as a coping measure. Very hard to get a handle on things, as people here well know. Even when you know you have a problem it is hard to stop.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:23 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Almost 12 years. Since spring 2008. I drank before that, but it wasn't the same. One day I just got up and realized that I had not been sober an entire day for 6 months.

But I didn't see it as a problem. I was lonely, bored, and single. And when I wasn't lonely or bored, I was drinking, meeting new people and drinking. Or at my home, alone, bored and drinking. I didn't see anything wrong, I was having fun, it was normal. I never had a problem before, so I must not have one now is the way I seen it.

But I did have a problem. I was now addicted and no matter how many times I woke up and said 'I need to take a break from alcohol, I'll do that next week.'. Next week never came.

I've now went 20 day without alcohol, first time in nearly 12 years.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:52 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I'm in the 30+ group.

Quite a few of those years are pretty much a total loss. I try not to dwell on it but sometimes the thought of it makes me mad.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:31 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
So from 15 to 19 you wasn't drinking problematically just asking ?
I assume this question was aimed at me. Apologies for not replying sooner, and of course you're welcome to ask.

Well, I suppose I was drinking problematically. I used to go to gigs and pass out on the floor, aged fifteen. However I only drank at weekends, and I'd get drunk off four cans of cider. My real problems didn't begin until university...
Old 02-01-2020, 05:52 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

28 years as a dependency. Moderate recreational use 10 years previous.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:27 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Alcohol has always been a feature in my life. My parents split when I was a baby and my dad would always pick me up for weekend visits drunk, and drive me to the pub where we would spend the day. He’s still alive but he’s had many health issues.
my mum wasn’t always a heavy drinker until around 10 years ago, and became worse when my younger brother got cancer, aged 2. He’s in remission now but she continues to drink.
my grandmother who is like my second mum also has drank every evening for as long as I can remember. At least 6-8 cans a night and she’s in her 70s now.
as for me, I had my first taste of alcohol when I was around 8 (thanks mum). Then again when I turned 13. Then I went out and binged most weekends from the age of 16-21. I stopped during my pregnancies and for a while after. I had a period of drinking almost daily for about a year. Then went back to binging once or twice a month again.
I am 30 now and when I drink I am sick for weeks. I made the decision to stop based on this and the guilt I feel. My partner is a bit of an enabler. Tells me I’ll be fine and can just have a couple BUT that’s my biggest problem, I can not have a couple, ever! Now I’ve accepted this I know this time I have a better chance at succeeding. The other people I mentioned are still drinkers and I’ve always been aware I’m genetically predisposed to having problems with alcohol but I really don’t want to drink ever again. I’m only on day 7 now but already I feel relieved!
Old 02-02-2020, 11:06 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

10 years. 22-32 years old.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:32 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle View Post
I assume this question was aimed at me. Apologies for not replying sooner, and of course you're welcome to ask.

Well, I suppose I was drinking problematically. I used to go to gigs and pass out on the floor, aged fifteen. However I only drank at weekends, and I'd get drunk off four cans of cider. My real problems didn't begin until university...
It sems as if many people develop serious problems with alcohol when they go to university. That was one problem I didn't have, mine started after I'd left university but I lived at home while at uni so didn't get into that "every night is a party night" mode. Here's a good article from The Guardian. Journalist Fay Schopen writes about the problems she had with alcohol and why she decided to stop. Her problems with alcohol started when she went to university. I don't know if she's still not drinking as her article is a bit confusing on that point but her twitter postings seem to suggest she is still sober

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...inking-alcohol