Notices

New Orleans Can be a Drunk Place

Old 11-11-2019, 05:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

^^Oh I recall those days. Underground became a travesty, of course, and a tourist trap, but the Cafe du Monde that was on Peachtree as you head south towards Midtown was pretty cool. Not close the the original tho

DriGuy - if you ever go to Omaha, be ready to peruse Omaha Steaks products at the airport!
Old 11-11-2019, 06:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Cafe Du Monde

Now there is a destination that is much better than Bourbon Street!
Old 11-12-2019, 05:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
^^Oh I recall those days. Underground became a travesty, of course, and a tourist trap, but the Cafe du Monde that was on Peachtree as you head south towards Midtown was pretty cool. Not close the the original tho

DriGuy - if you ever go to Omaha, be ready to peruse Omaha Steaks products at the airport!
Yeah, August. I don't think anyone ever quite figured out what to do with underground.
I've heard the frightful stories of it's early days.
There is actually a rock club down there now, but I think that's the only thing.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It had a brief debut of being awesome. I think the Olympics was the fatal blow.

You just made me remember tho, that when I was on the team who won the Stock Market Game in 7th grade (which is hilarious bc I asked my Dad what to pick and sold everyone on the idea of Home Depot, as well as the fact that money management and anything market related is absolutely not in my wheelhouse!) - we had the awards luncheon for all schools down by Undergound and the train depot.

And JessieLynn - drinking at kids baseball games and soccer games is absolutely "the norm" around here. Moms who have wine in the Yetis. Trips to the car for a sec. Dads who lose their cool with the umpires....I hear so many of them talk about it in meetings now that they aren't into that anymore. On the flip side, tho - once I got sober, I realized that most people didn't go to the movies with wine (guilty), or had to drink at a birthday party or....looking for people who drink normally or don't drink at all, rather than seeing all the people who drink like us, is way better.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I've been to Nebraska once. I was driving through Kansas, which was an unusual place for me to be in the first place, and I heard about a tall grass prairie that still existed in Nebraska, so I took a side trip to see what that might be like (kind of like my need to see a Louisiana swamp). "Tall grass" is an understatement. It was way over my head, even higher than mature corn. But seeing what things used to be like was an eye opener. I doubt that I will ever see Omaha, but I have no doubt some great steak comes out of that place.

From Omaha Steaks website.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

They are awesome and make excellent gifts. The catalogues make me hungry. Maybe start with a gift to self! And their fish and chicken dishes are good, too

Sidenote: the Omaha airport essentially shuts down about 9p. As in, the one little pub-like place is over and out. Being drinkers stuck for a snow-delay back to Atlanta, that sucked - plus the newsstand store closed too, so no snacks!