Notices

Mistyscorpio first thread

Old 11-12-2019, 12:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

You'll find that there are many many similarities in peoples' stories. You are not alone.

I was afraid of AA and admitting I had a problem for a long time. Then it got to a point where I was willing to do anything to escape the downward spiral. I had the gift of desperation. I'm grateful every day that I had the "a ha" moment I did, and that I sought help in several different places. Saved my life, I'm convinced.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi MistyScorpio

Welcome to SR. Your post was honest and full of soul searching. Scoffing at a box of wine. Gosh a box of wine is fancy for me 18 days ago- I would just get two pints of vodka. Progressive in all ways. You are giving yourself the best birthday gift in the world- you a day at a time will be able to enjoy your whole 40's Sober.
And help many many other woman going through the feelings we are both experiencing. I look forward to reading your sober journey. Please post here. Live your true life with self love and self care. I had a lot of drunken horrible hours /days of shame/guilt/drunkeness because I did not want to share my inadequacies. It would of only taken me two seconds to say no to a drink.
I find most people are thinking of their selves and not worried about what I am drinking.
If they are concerned ,wondering or have an issue on why I am not drinking they may have their
own issue with the poison. (I am posting this for me as well)
I myself am going to implement a form of exercise every day. Eat healthy. But the most important thing to me is to go 24 hours alcohol free, that will just have to be enough to fro me to be successful in that day.
Seven days is wonderful and I bet your eyes are clear and sparkling.
Beth
Old 11-14-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faith823 View Post
Hi MistyScorpio

Welcome to SR. Your post was honest and full of soul searching. Scoffing at a box of wine. Gosh a box of wine is fancy for me 18 days ago- I would just get two pints of vodka. Progressive in all ways. You are giving yourself the best birthday gift in the world- you a day at a time will be able to enjoy your whole 40's Sober.
And help many many other woman going through the feelings we are both experiencing. I look forward to reading your sober journey. Please post here. Live your true life with self love and self care. I had a lot of drunken horrible hours /days of shame/guilt/drunkeness because I did not want to share my inadequacies. It would of only taken me two seconds to say no to a drink.
I find most people are thinking of their selves and not worried about what I am drinking.
If they are concerned ,wondering or have an issue on why I am not drinking they may have their
own issue with the poison. (I am posting this for me as well)
I myself am going to implement a form of exercise every day. Eat healthy. But the most important thing to me is to go 24 hours alcohol free, that will just have to be enough to fro me to be successful in that day.
Seven days is wonderful and I bet your eyes are clear and sparkling.
Beth
18 days is awesome, Beth!!! I stopped drinking vodka and whiskey in my late 20s because it made me a completely different person, very mean and angry and always wanting to get into arguments. There would be times when my now husband would not go out with me unless I agreed (like we’d have the conversation while getting on our jackets at the door) that I would stop drinking when he said it was time because I would reach this tipping point and bam- completely different person and it wasn’t pretty. Your plan to exercise and eat healthy and take it day by day is giving yourself the self care that you need and deserve. I look forward to continue reading your posts and hope to get to d18 next week 😊
Old 11-14-2019, 06:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Day 9 here- last night we had invited friends to an informal dinner because it’s so hard to nail down time with them and it was looking like if we didn’t meet up last night, we may not cross paths til end of year because of schedules. I had pulled an all-nighter previously to meet a work deadline, then worked a full day and found myself scrambling into grocery store to grab a rotisserie chicken and the rest of the pre-made sides before they arrived in 10 minutes. The wine and beer section conveniently greets you when you enter the store and I found myself thinking about it as I was walking through the parking lot towards the entrance, and my AV was there trying to convince me that I’m entertaining and I have no drinks to offer, that it would be “fun” to kick back and catch up with a bottle, and that I’d be fine. But I argued back (all inside my head, I hope) that it wouldn’t be fine- that it is not an option anymore, I’m exhausted and starving (there you go- hungry, lonely, tired) and need to nourish my body. I rushed past to find the chicken and dinner stuff and as I was waiting in line at the cashier, I felt good that I was taking care of myself, albeit while still providing a meal for family and friends. And it was fine. Friends brought wine, but only one one person wanted some- yet opted not to open the bottle and drink pellegrino instead because she didn’t want to open it if she was the only one and it wasn’t a big deal. Yet, if it was me, I would have opened the bottle, but not first without a mental jump like those little leprechauns do of excitement that I would likely get the bottle to myself because nobody else wanted any. That’s the difference with an alcoholic. So, I did get a full night sleep, but still feeling tired but at least I’m not hungover. Will finish off the workweek strong, while looking forward to weekend.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mistyscorpio View Post
Day 9 here- last night we had invited friends to an informal dinner because it’s so hard to nail down time with them and it was looking like if we didn’t meet up last night, we may not cross paths til end of year because of schedules. I had pulled an all-nighter previously to meet a work deadline, then worked a full day and found myself scrambling into grocery store to grab a rotisserie chicken and the rest of the pre-made sides before they arrived in 10 minutes. The wine and beer section conveniently greets you when you enter the store and I found myself thinking about it as I was walking through the parking lot towards the entrance, and my AV was there trying to convince me that I’m entertaining and I have no drinks to offer, that it would be “fun” to kick back and catch up with a bottle, and that I’d be fine. But I argued back (all inside my head, I hope) that it wouldn’t be fine- that it is not an option anymore, I’m exhausted and starving (there you go- hungry, lonely, tired) and need to nourish my body. I rushed past to find the chicken and dinner stuff and as I was waiting in line at the cashier, I felt good that I was taking care of myself, albeit while still providing a meal for family and friends. And it was fine. Friends brought wine, but only one one person wanted some- yet opted not to open the bottle and drink pellegrino instead because she didn’t want to open it if she was the only one and it wasn’t a big deal. Yet, if it was me, I would have opened the bottle, but not first without a mental jump like those little leprechauns do of excitement that I would likely get the bottle to myself because nobody else wanted any. That’s the difference with an alcoholic. So, I did get a full night sleep, but still feeling tired but at least I’m not hungover. Will finish off the workweek strong, while looking forward to weekend.
wow- this is great! I am so proud that you thought it through and really paid attention to how you would feel and how you were feeling at the moment. Being EXHAUSTED from your work hours and being hungry and abstaining from that harmless drink that would of caused havoc on your system. Not worth it. Thank you for sharing your though pattern. I am also glad
you were able to partake in a nice cozy dinner with your friends alcohol free and
still have a pleasant time without the leprechauns crashing the affair.
There is one thing I know for sure. If I continue to stay sober the rest of the year I know I will not have to "start again" on January 1st.
We will both have a couple of months Sober beginning of the year.
Just a little pep talk to keep us motivated. I understand its not a marathon. Its 24 hours at a time...thank goodness because that I can do!
Old 11-14-2019, 08:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

18 days is awesome, Beth!!! I stopped drinking vodka and whiskey in my late 20s because it made me a completely different person, very mean and angry and always wanting to get into arguments. There would be times when my now husband would not go out with me unless I agreed (like we’d have the conversation while getting on our jackets at the door) that I would stop drinking when he said it was time because I would reach this tipping point and bam- completely different person and it wasn’t pretty. Your plan to exercise and eat healthy and take it day by day is giving yourself the self care that you need and deserve. I look forward to continue reading your posts and hope to get to d18 next week 😊
oooh I hated those talks- and the problem with that is one minute I am fine then minute BOOM - so my BF never could get the timing right.
Vodka was hit or miss for me and for some reason it always wanted
me to go on FB. I have not been on FB in over a month- welcome change.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faith823 View Post
oooh I hated those talks- and the problem with that is one minute I am fine then minute BOOM - so my BF never could get the timing right.
Vodka was hit or miss for me and for some reason it always wanted
me to go on FB. I have not been on FB in over a month- welcome change.
Thank you! Thinking back, My bf rarely got the timing right either, or I would just go back on the agreement to listen and stop, and it would be a sh*t show from there on...who knew, 15yrs later I’d recognize that the timing was not to start at all!
Old 11-15-2019, 08:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Day 10 going into weekend... we’ve planned to go ice skating tonight, which is a change from the usual eat out and then run to store to get more wine for the night.

I dont feel like drinking and am proud of myself for sticking to my goal, but sometimes find my thoughts drifting towards romanticizing how nice it would be to have a hot toddy or some hot wine at the winter festival in the city. What I’ve been doing when I recognize those thoughts coming is to re-read my thread because it’s a wakes me up out of that daydream to remind me that there’s nothing good for me in it.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Enjoy it Misty

D
Old 11-15-2019, 08:02 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Enjoy it Misty

D
Thanks, Dee. We had a nice time- I was the jacket, bag holder while my husband took our daughter onto the ice- the first round was a bit tough to watch with lots of falls, but they took a break and regrouped and the second time she was up more than she was down.

Afterwards, we went home to eat dinner and I really struggled tonight- like “white knuckled” it (which never really happened before). Earlier in the day I noticed I was very shaky and unsteady, not sure if it’s withdrawal or something unrelated. But, tonight, so many thoughts were going through my head and it wasn’t trying to convince me I was okay and didn’t have a problem, but more like convincing me that I was an alcoholic who just wasn’t ready to stop yet. Like wanting me to give up on myself. By the time we ate, cleaned up and finished bedtime routine, however, the urge had passed. So, I’m winding down for the night, sober on day 10, ready for day 11.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:48 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Misty, I'm a bit late to your thread but completely understand EVERYTHING you've been through.
Your posts about drinking and cooking and then social media and drinking.....UGH. I just cringe at some of those memories.....
Like you, (and many, many of us)I held it together, until it ALL. FELL. APART.
I hope you will keep posting.
It's encouraging to read your posts and I hope you know there's lots of us out here in SR Land, willing to help whenever and however we can.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Afterwards, we went home to eat dinner and I really struggled tonight- like “white knuckled” it (which never really happened before). Earlier in the day I noticed I was very shaky and unsteady, not sure if it’s withdrawal or something unrelated. But, tonight, so many thoughts were going through my head and it wasn’t trying to convince me I was okay and didn’t have a problem, but more like convincing me that I was an alcoholic who just wasn’t ready to stop yet. Like wanting me to give up on myself. By the time we ate, cleaned up and finished bedtime routine, however, the urge had passed. So, I’m winding down for the night, sober on day 10, ready for day 11.
I'm late to the thread, but I read through and applauded you all the way. Things get rough from time to time, and in the middle of a seemingly solid recovery, you get blindsided with something unexpected. This is not unusual. It's like your first test, and there will be more, but each time you pass a test, you gain strength you didn't know you had. Eventually, these "tests" are just mildly annoying thoughts, and after that, they eventually become absurd thoughts, easily brushed aside.

Misty, meet your AV. I think you just did. It's going to show up from time to time. It will eventually go away, as you learn to ignore it. It will tell you how well you have done, and tell you that you can now have a drink. It's a common cause of relapse. It will use the strategy that you are most vulnerable to. You're vulnerability may be considering that this recovery thing may have just been a big mistake, and a waste of time. Don't respond to that. Down the road you will recognize what a silly idea that was.

Hang in there. We are all cheering you on.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:44 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Misty, are you still with us?