Notices

An Epiphany...........

Old 11-26-2004, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile An Epiphany...........

Dear Dear All,

I have said before how this site is a lifeline..............and I'll say it again it absolutely is. I was aware that there were a lot of people addicted to anything and everything BUT I had NO idea that I would be able to relate to so many of you.

ALL of the threads i've read so far have given ME something to cling to and I have passed this onto my husband and children........who up to recently thought I was a lost cause ...........HOW could I do this to them..............I was beginning to think that I was EVIL. I mean no sooner had I decided that no, no never again and at the same time planning ahead when i'd be alone so i could smuggle a drink.......good grief........... SOS

Can someone tell me WHY is it so hard for us to be good to ourselves...........have many of us been abused as children or something.

I can't remember apparently.........anyhow i'm sure i havent been !!

I gues I also used alcohol as an anaesthetic, which I know is a common thing to do.

Sometimes I get some very scary visions in my head about............never mind I wont bore you guys anymore.......

Love to ALL of you We can all do this together all of our minds united in strenght commanding the same thing will succeed

Here's to us all!!!!!!!!!
:shysmile:
Old 11-26-2004, 09:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Basi,
I get all kinds of "scary things" in my head too but they are just thoughts over which I have no control over thier coming and going. What I have control over is whether or not i wish to pay much attention to these thoughts or act on them or just dismiss them and remeber that I am much more than my thoughts. I also tend to shake my head over the fact that although I want sobriety with all my heart, I too can catch myself planning ways to sneak a drink. The trick is to be aware of when i am in that thinking mode and get myself out of those thought patterns ASAP. The planning stage is one short hop to the using stage. Glad you get solace from the site here. Wishing you a sober 24 hours.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by Basi
I have said before how this site is a lifeline..............and I'll say it again it absolutely is. I was aware that there were a lot of people addicted to anything and everything BUT I had NO idea that I would be able to relate to so many of you.
What's the matter, people?

Everybody wants the same thing, don't they?
Everybody wants a happy end
They want to see the game on Saturday
They want to be somebody's friend

Everybody wants to work for a living
Everybody wants their children warm
Everybody wants to be forgiven
They want a shelter from the storm

Look at me, I ain't your enemy
We walk on common ground
We don't need to fight each other
What we need, what we need

Solidarity

--Black Uhuru "Solidarity"
If more people could find out what we had to find out in order to stay sober, the world would just be a better place.

One Love, One Heart, Jah Bless
Old 11-27-2004, 05:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Basi,

I think I have difficulty being good to myself because of low self-esteem. And, I believe low self-esteem leaves us wide open to the lure of addiction. I fought it for years, trying to talk myself into feeling better about myself, but low self-esteem is a powerful enemy and helped lead me towards alcohol to numb the feelings, even if for just awhile.

I believe low self-esteem has a powerful effect on our society because people who feel badly about themselves, often don't care what they do to themselves.

And, yes for me it started as a small child from the way my parents treated me. I think that's where it often has its origin, but sometimes people are able to overcome it.

Love, Anna