Notices

soda and chips and icecream- oh my!

Old 11-07-2019, 05:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm over a year sober and still can't stay away from the junk food haha. My take is that as long as I don't drink, I'm good. I exercise regularly and eat healthy for the most part, so some junk food a few times a week is not really that big of a deal. Congrats on your sobriety!
Old 11-07-2019, 06:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Junk food was my savior in early sobriety. For years I hadn't been able to eat my favorite fast food, Taco Bell because my stomach lining was so inflamed by a constant stream of vodka running through it. After about a week of recovery, I realized I could eat it again and so I did...about 3 or 4 times a week for several months.

After about eight months when the dust had settled, I realized it was time to clean things up.

SC
Old 11-07-2019, 07:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SuficintCrlsns View Post
Junk food was my savior in early sobriety. For years I hadn't been able to eat my favorite fast food, Taco Bell because my stomach lining was so inflamed by a constant stream of vodka running through it. After about a week of recovery, I realized I could eat it again and so I did...about 3 or 4 times a week for several months.

After about eight months when the dust had settled, I realized it was time to clean things up.

SC
because my stomach lining was so inflamed by a constant stream of vodka running through it

wow my stomach just winced---- thanks for the reminder.

I am enjoying a fresh/hot cup of coffee.
I could not drink coffee drinking due to my heart racing when I woke up.
walk to store ( I could barely stand but for some reason I found the resolve to walk to that store) since there was never any left over- 8am for warm vodka.
So grateful I am alcohol free this morning- lucky 13 today.

Cold no sun today maybe a huge pot of healthy home made chicken soup
Old 11-07-2019, 08:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Faith - right there with you on that only vodka in my veins thing And happy to be any kind of friend to you.

Hot yoga became my passion - I'm one of those who had yoga "on my list" forever and just didn't think it was for me. I'd done the "calm" kind a few times...but being a long time athlete since tiny people days, hot yoga was perfect. I've got a chunk of PT to start (in Dec, fingers crossed) way before I can go back to the yoga, but my plan is that June-Aug 2020 will see me back in action!!

Also - real talk? When I get anxious, I have realized I binge on sweets. I hadn't always connected the dots...as in, I didn't think I was so nervous about the back surgery but then I made 2 yellow sheet cakes with chocolate icing and ate them all by myself. That was Mon- Wed

On the whole, tho (and esp now that I have admitted that to my husband, which of course he had already observed tho sweetly never commented on) I do a pretty good job of pausing to think about whether I really want x or it's boredom or some emotion or such. And, I rarely eat stuff like fries - I wasn't hungry last night when we went to a fave place and decided not to order, and had literally 2 of his fries

Keep up day 12 and then 13....you can do this.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Faith - right there with you on that only vodka in my veins thing And happy to be any kind of friend to you.

Hot yoga became my passion - I'm one of those who had yoga "on my list" forever and just didn't think it was for me. I'd done the "calm" kind a few times...but being a long time athlete since tiny people days, hot yoga was perfect. I've got a chunk of PT to start (in Dec, fingers crossed) way before I can go back to the yoga, but my plan is that June-Aug 2020 will see me back in action!!

Also - real talk? When I get anxious, I have realized I binge on sweets. I hadn't always connected the dots...as in, I didn't think I was so nervous about the back surgery but then I made 2 yellow sheet cakes with chocolate icing and ate them all by myself. That was Mon- Wed

On the whole, tho (and esp now that I have admitted that to my husband, which of course he had already observed tho sweetly never commented on) I do a pretty good job of pausing to think about whether I really want x or it's boredom or some emotion or such. And, I rarely eat stuff like fries - I wasn't hungry last night when we went to a fave place and decided not to order, and had literally 2 of his fries

Keep up day 12 and then 13....you can do this.
Thank you so much.
yellow sheet cake with chocolate icing sounds divine right now.

I do feel much less puffy and bloated. People in the meeting have mentioned how I look great,( I reminded my AV it wants me to look rough it insists on me looking rough, match on the outside what you feel on the inside) and one lady said my eyes were sparkling.
(That is a first) Alcohol does such a number on our appearance. I am so blessed my body has been this resilient.

I have my meeting in 45 minutes. I look forward to it.
Thank you every one day 13
Ask HP to remove the obsession this morning- No desire to drink at this moment.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faith823 View Post

wow my stomach just winced---- thanks for the reminder.

I am enjoying a fresh/hot cup of coffee.
I could not drink coffee drinking due to my heart racing when I woke up.
walk to store ( I could barely stand but for some reason I found the resolve to walk to that store) since there was never any left over- 8am for warm vodka.
Warm vodka, now there's a bad memory for me. Not just my stomach, my whole body shuddered when I read that. I used to stash my vodka in the garage and sneak out for drinks when I was "getting tools that I need for house projects". I thought I was slick and my wife didn't notice, but she knew all along.

Anyway, sometimes I would make up a cup with ice and a mixer and sneak it out there, other times if I was in a hurry, I would just go out and quickly take a shot directly from the bottle. I live in the desert southwest, so in the summer time I was drinking straight vodka at temps most people drink coffee at, disgusting to think about.

When I think about it, I can almost feel the burn and I think about the pathetic lengths an active alcoholic will go.

Congrats on Day 13.

SC
Old 11-07-2019, 02:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

yes! and I would take swigs on the walk back to my place
Can you say classy-?? I did not care and I drank for that purpose.
Not to care and not feel sick. Gasoline on the fire.
I myself believe Alcoholics by nature are not capable of being true sociopaths.
Sociopaths do not drown out their/guilt feelings. Although they can portray them easily once alcohol is ravaging their brain. excuse my rambling. I am coming to terms with this double life I had been leading. I am trying to forgive myself. Anything good that happened to me in my life I knew it would be ruined/sabotaged/over- from the result of my drinking.
I do not want to live in that fear any longer

Thanks for your support and sharing your experience of sneaking warm vodka in the desert in a closed garage- me swigging warm vodka in the heat of the summer at 8am walking through the neighborhood... fun times
Old 11-07-2019, 02:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Readytodothis View Post
I'm over a year sober and still can't stay away from the junk food haha. My take is that as long as I don't drink, I'm good. I exercise regularly and eat healthy for the most part, so some junk food a few times a week is not really that big of a deal. Congrats on your sobriety!
Congrats on your year!!! and continued sobriety.
I love to exercise when I am healthy so tomorrow I will do my 3 mile walk. Thank you for the reminder.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm on a diet and I hate the title of this thread lol.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:23 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
I'm on a diet and I hate the title of this thread lol.
HAHAHA - I will be on a diet within days- maybe it will be buried by then
Old 11-07-2019, 05:30 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Beth - I vividly remember the first time a friend I hadn't seen since I quit saw me. I was about 6 mo sober and her reaction was just priceless - she marveled at the difference. I know people saw and told me before and it had begun to register - I was able to actually look at myself in the mirror, not try to do makeup or whatever while avoiding my own eyes- but those moments will jump out at you, I know it!!

Ahhh, warm or HOT vodka, especially leftover in the car. Classy indeed.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:58 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Beth - I vividly remember the first time a friend I hadn't seen since I quit saw me. I was about 6 mo sober and her reaction was just priceless - she marveled at the difference. I know people saw and told me before and it had begun to register - I was able to actually look at myself in the mirror, not try to do makeup or whatever while avoiding my own eyes- but those moments will jump out at you, I know it!!

Ahhh, warm or HOT vodka, especially leftover in the car. Classy indeed.
Well your pics are beautiful and your eyes look sparkly/sober

I bet your left over vodka was boiling in the hot car

hot/warm/tepid vodka in a PLASTIC pint - was just another day for me.

not any longer. So nasty thinking about it now.

I will enjoy some ice cold water in the morning to hydrate with my piping hot coffee. Because I will be waking up rested and sober.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:53 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Having to wear clothes a size or two bigger won't kill you but alcoholism will.

It all evens out if you give it time.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thank you- no water as of yet , no walk as of yet.
Doritos, ham steak and eggs, coffee and ginger-ale
I feel sluggish and stuck. I am grateful I have food to eat at my parents.
I was eating salsa - a jar of salsa for dinner !! when I was drinking and on my own. I hate when I would experience a blood sugar drop while actively drinking- I would eat whatever I could get my hands on .
I need to remember these experiences and stay grateful in the moment.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:32 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I've found that once I got out of my desperately ill state of the first few months, most critical the first 6 wks, I gravitated towards healthy stuff on the whole. huge ice cream consumption along the way but also a very active job as a server so it balanced out.

I find that most of the time now, I feel best when I eat colors at every meal. Fruits and veggies - very little white or beige or brown! I eat gummy bears some days and a soft vanilla ice cream most nights. Every once in a long while I have a day like today, where only a club sandwich and some fries fit the bill for a lunch treat! I've gotten good at stopping when I feel full, not going beyond that.

It's all a work in progress. I'm much easier on myself than I have been since my mid teens when my anorexia and disordered relationship with food. I feel pretty blessed with health here at 43

(I also have an in with a friend skilled with injectibles and we have started doing some strategic work on lines and such )