Notices

Day 1.... again

Old 11-02-2019, 06:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1.... again

This has to be the final time I do this to myself. My drinking habits have improved over the last year and a half in terms of frequency and so I thought I could moderate. It does’t change the fact that when I drink I’m a bottomless pit. No amount ever satiates. there is no pleasure left in it if there ever even was and I ruin one day a week because I have to nurse myself back to normal. It’s not acceptable to me and I’m not available for it anymore.

im posting today to declare my commitment to myself to never drink again. I will be coming on here for support everyday but especially on those Fridays that get me almost every week. I get so stressed from work that alcohol is the thing for me to detach from persistent thought attacks!
I have a plan in place now to go into the office on fridays cause I usually work most days from home and pick my husband up from work and go to dinner not in our neighbourhood and make plans for afterwards.

ok if you have any support, suggestions please send them my way. Thank you!

Old 11-02-2019, 07:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a great decision, to make this your last Day 1. Many of us have had many Day 1's, I've had more than I care to remember. Change your routine, stay away from those who drink, and begin to practice self care... a lot. You can change your life now, before the drink takes your life. Bless you on your journey.

Old 11-02-2019, 07:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

mawapril, welcome back.

making a commitment to never drink again is something i did many times and yet i drank again.
making a commitment to do a “daily do” such as participating in a forum like this and other things....that, i could keep.
and that is what has supported my ongoing sobriety.
not trying to discourage you re the commitment thing...far from it. just saying that backing it up with other stuff was crucial for me.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and congrats for giving sobriety a try again. Never a bad thing. Lets see if it sticks. One day at a time. That's it. ✌
Old 11-02-2019, 08:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back mawapril

To cut my recovery plan to absolute basics it was do anything - anything positive or life affirming - but drink.

Its a tough commitment especially at the start but lean on the support here...post daily or more than that...even if you're doing ok you can help others.

You'll get back everything you put into your recovery

Get into the habit of making your recovery a priority above everything else.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Congrats on your decision. Alcohol is cunning, baffling, powerful. I don’t know your situation nor your drinking history, but I’ve tried many times to quit on my own and I never succeeded. I’m now on Day 78 and Two big reasons I’ve succeeded this time are a group outpatient program and anti craving medications from my doctor and psychiatrist. I also go to meetings, AA and Refuge Recovery.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! The best suggestion I ever got on shoring up my sobriety was to practice gratitude every day. Best advice I've ever gotten. It has changed my life for the better.

Try it every day for a while and see if it doesn't make you feel better and stronger and happier. Here's a good article about gratitude.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 11-03-2019, 01:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back Mawapril! I've continuously tried moderating it doesn't work. Committing to sobriety will be the best thing u can do for urself!!
I'm only 29 days in, so I'm relatively new to recovery, but my previous stretch was 6 months, I thought I could moderate which is just a joke for me & inevitably over the last 3 yrs I've had numerous moments of shame, embarrassment & blackouts. I've had enough, I'm done, it no longer brings me real joy.
what I've done to help me is obviously coming here probably twice a day. sometimes I just read but I try to engage every day too. I watch addiction documentaries, read addiction memoirs & I've started to include my journey on my social media (that part is certainly not for everyone) I've been journaling aswell which in my 38 yrs I've never done & I love it!! Good luck, it's tough but totally worth it!!x
Old 11-03-2019, 01:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision! Come join us in the November Class, you'll find great support there.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

mawapril

Welcome back. Great post. I certainly understand where you are coming from. You have my support.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Counting Weekends

I have been able to go without drinking during the week, off and on. Sometimes when I count the days sober during the week, something in me feels guilty because I know I will cave come Friday.

I'm steel going to celebrate each sober morning as a success. But in addition, I am counting weekends. Today is Sunday morning. This is my first sober weekend in a long time. If I can make it to next Sunday morning that will be weekend number 2 for me, and I know that is going to feel so good.

Maybe looking at it like this can help. Best wishes.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Like you, I thought I could moderate & like you I relapsed every time. Once I was convinced that moderation was impossible I had to develop a plan to live a better life without drinking. For me, a daily routine was essential. Something I could repeat & fall back on. That would make me feel everything would be OK if I could just stick to that daily routine. Exercise was critical. So first thing in the morning I would walk for 2 miles & as my fitness improved I started running & lifting weights. I practiced daily gratitude. Finally, I worked on eliminating negative thinking using an article recommended here from the Mayo Clinic. Approaching unpleasantness in a positive & productive way. A year & half ago I was drinking all day, every day. Now, I’m back to the way I was. Clear thinking. positive energy, content. You can do it.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Keep posting, MAW.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

welcome back. I am on day 10 I look forward to *hearing from you* and to be able to support each other.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

MAW- the best time to post and share, is when you do not want to. This place is for support- all of us have our demons to fight..