SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   First day not using and totally lost....... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/443128-first-day-not-using-totally-lost.html)

Proafishin 11-01-2019 08:31 PM

First day not using and totally lost.......

Hello I'm 46 and can't lie to myself, I'm addicted and need, want to stop this way of life. Feeling hopeless and alone. Just scared

esinger 11-01-2019 08:52 PM

You're not alone. This site is full of people with similar issues. If you really want to stop you can and will. It just takes a commitment and some resolve. There are some good folks here can give you far better advise than I. Just thought I'd say hello and hang in there!

StartAnew68 11-01-2019 08:57 PM

Hi
As esinger says, you’re not alone. We’re all with you and understand how you are feeling.

faith823 11-01-2019 08:59 PM

Yes I am on day 7 -8 in 3 minutes

you took action and posted here. Try not to drink the next 72 hours then be mindful of how physically better you feel.

Take care of yourself nurture yourself and post here for support.
I wish you a good night sober sleep.

Proafishin 11-01-2019 09:00 PM

Thank you, it's just nice to hear understanding rather that conflict and being downed for something I really don't want to be doing but can't seem to ever make the right choice.

Dee74 11-01-2019 10:21 PM

Welcome proafishin :)

I was deathly scared when I came here and not really sure I could stay clean and sober but the folks here helped a lot. I know we can help you too :)

D

Proafishin 11-01-2019 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 7301571)
Welcome proafishin :)

I was deathly scared when I came here and not really sure I could stay clean and sober but the folks here helped a lot. I know we can help you too :)

D

Thank you, I'm barely holding on, trying to find a rehabilition center. It's not easy but don't want to use. I'm trying to go to sleep but I'm so overwhelmed and stressed.

SoberRican 11-02-2019 01:42 AM

Welcome. No worries my friend you came to the right place. For we all know to Well what you are going thru. See that? In past tense. Pretty soon you will be helping other folks . take it easy. Lay off the sauce. Try to get some rest drink some water. Warm tea. Ease your mind up a bit. Cause I'm sure your wheels are turning. Your body is going to start bucking its normal. One day.hour minute at a time my friend . I will add you to my prayer list. ✌

ChloeRose63 11-02-2019 01:47 AM

Glad you are here and that you are seeking help.
Remember that you are never alone and every minute sober is a step in the right direction.
Keep reaching out and stay with us. Together we are strong!

FallingLeaves 11-02-2019 01:54 AM

Stay with us. Keep posting. Drink lots of water, eat proper food. Keep reminding yourself that you are doing the right thing. I'm so proud of you!

C0ntr0ls 11-02-2019 01:55 AM

Welcome!
What helped me and I'm still in the early quit. Take it one min at a time if needed. Walk around or some other physical activity and I would drink plenty of water.
Oh, and a package of Oreo cookies helped [The family size package didn't stand a chance :)] because I am an alcoholic and wanted or maybe needed the sugar.

Read and post!

Houstin 11-02-2019 01:59 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/dyQuZN...b4C6/giphy.gif

PurpleKnight 11-02-2019 02:42 AM

Welcome to the Forum Proafishin!! :wave:

sugarbear1 11-02-2019 04:43 AM

Great decision you are making! Treat yourself kindly, maybe see a doctor if you need to, treat yourself like you have the flu and try to eat (if you are like me, eating wasn't a priority when I drank). Here's something that helps:

The 4-7-8 breathing technique, also known as "relaxing breath," involves breathing in for 4 seconds, holding the breath for 7 seconds, and exhaling for 8 seconds. This breathing pattern aims to reduce anxiety or help people get to sleep. Some proponents claim that the method helps people get to sleep in 1 minute.

This technique is used for panic attacks, calming down and falling asleep.
I wish you well on your sober journey! You are worth it!!

DriGuy 11-02-2019 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Proafishin (Post 7301537)
Feeling hopeless and alone. Just scared

I get that. Just focus on not drinking for the next couple of days. When the cravings come, get up and do something else. You're in the hardest part right now, but it will pass. Seek out meetings with other recovering alcoholics. That helped me a lot.

2muchpain 11-02-2019 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Proafishin (Post 7301574)
Thank you, I'm barely holding on, trying to find a rehabilition center. It's not easy but don't want to use. I'm trying to go to sleep but I'm so overwhelmed and stressed.

Try to stay strong and determined. Things do get better. We've all gone through with what you are dealing with so we understand. Take care of yourself. John

gypsytears 11-02-2019 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Proafishin (Post 7301574)

How are you feeling now? If you feel like withdrawals are too much please go to an ER. I understand the overwhelming & stressed feelings. The first few days are difficult for most of us. This place is great for support though so stick close. Posting or even just reading helps. Hang in there. It does get better.

Atlast9999 11-02-2019 07:01 AM

Welcome Proafishin. I was scared and overwhelmed when I first quit too. I now have 16 months. You can do this. Keep coming here, read, post, ask questions. This site kept me grounded and focused on recovery.

Proafishin 11-02-2019 08:47 AM

Wow, I haven't felt alone since reading your replies. I am trying to get into a residential treatment facility, with no support, or understanding from my wife. She feels like it's a cop-out. An excuse to run........but I know that I can't just quit. I'm going to take a scary journey to a totally different state, where I know nobody, except the person at the facility. I can't stop on my own is the only thing I'm sure of.

C0ntr0ls 11-02-2019 08:53 AM

no support, or understanding from my wife. She feels like it's a cop-out. An excuse to run........

Can you help me understand this and only if you're comfortable doing so. Maybe I'm misreading and misunderstanding.

Thanks