Notices

Help me not drink tonight

Old 10-31-2019, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help me not drink tonight

Today is 22 days. My cravings have been almost non-existent lately up until today. It's like a switch went off and I finally feel like having a drink.

Normally I'd give in, but I'm trying to do things differently so I'm posting here. Trying to use the HALT approach. Ate a nice meal, not feeling angry, maybe a little lonely and most definitely on the tired side (but I have a lot to do tonight so sleep isn't an option just yet).

Even typing this out helps me not want to drink, but this thread is here in case the cravings get crazier.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I like to think about it this way...
if I drink tonight there's a 100% guarantee I'll regret it tomorrow.
If I don't drink tonight, there's a 100% guarantee I'll be thankful I didn't tomorrow.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Support to you
Old 10-31-2019, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done for posting. Tell you AV to bugger off. THINK that drink all the way through to the bitter end. How awful you will be feeling tomorrow. The guilt, shame, despair, terror it will bring. You said you have things to do which is great, it will keep your mind busy. Do what you need to do and get your head on the pillow tonight sober. Stay close and keep posting if and when the urges hit. You have 22 days that is amazing. Think how amazing 23 days will be. The more you say no, the more you reinforce the message to your brain that it won't be getting any alcohol. The urges do get weaker and les often the more sobriety you get.

You've got this

❤🙏❤🙏
Old 10-31-2019, 03:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Joe,
It is normal - they are just thoughts.

Well done on having a plan and doing things differently including posting about it here. Staying close to this board has helped me ride out many a craving.

Good that you have a lot to do. Busy always helps me. You have got this.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You will be miserable tomorrow.

For a couple of drinks?

i told myself things like "just dont drink TONIGHT".
Maybe tomorrow.

Then I'd keep trying to delay that gratification (misery) the next day, and so on until the compulsion thankfully left.

Then I felt stronger. The more I put it off, the stronger I felt.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep reading and posting here. Please don't drink you will regret it.

We all know it doesn't stop at one or two. That drink will reignite the AV and it will go into overdrive and if you're like me it's game over. Drink, drink and more drink. Worse than the last relapse.

You have 22 days sober. That's massive. You have a choice to be 23 days sober tomorrow and grateful you didnt give in or feeling like crap and day 1 with your AV screaming for more.
Please choose 23 days
Old 10-31-2019, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you are here- and 22 days is awesome!! Like others said, don't throw it away!

It's just one night - one day- one holiday (if you are the Halloween type)....and when I was in early days, whatever it took was literally what I did (well, nothing illegal I don't think but.... ) - you said you have a lot to do. Is it stuff that can distract you, one task at a time? Take time in 5 min, half hour, one movie length time...take a shower....spend 30 min here....take a nap if you truly can't do a full night sleep.....

Keep going.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

It stinks, doesn't it? You're cruising along without drinking and then, wham - it just hits. Best advice I can give is to decide, just for tonight. "Nope, not drinking tonight. " Then move along and do what needs doing. "Trying" stuff to combat cravings never did me much good, but simply Doing stuff does.

Hope that makes sense.

Congratulations on 22 days!

O
Old 10-31-2019, 03:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AKA ComputerMan

Just keep on keeping on man!! Like Joe Dirt said!
Old 10-31-2019, 03:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

No one ever ok up regretting not drinking last night Joe.

I had to keep reminding myself its the first drink that does the damage not the last.

Cravings aren't nice but they pass - have you seen these tips?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

D
Old 10-31-2019, 03:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Really great stuff in here, guys. Glad I posted.

Originally Posted by Pinky1 View Post
We all know it doesn't stop at one or two. That drink will reignite the AV and it will go into overdrive and if you're like me it's game over. Drink, drink and more drink. Worse than the last relapse.
Yes, I am very much like this. I'd likely have a "good" night the first day (which only means I didn't do anything stupid), then I'd wake up slightly hungover and less capable mentally which would push me into drinking again tomorrow, and before you know it two weeks will have gone by and I'll have regretted ever giving in.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Back to day 7 and I feel you. Halloween is going to be tough I am staying in and sticking around this site tonight! Waking up tomorrow not feeling or looking like death will be glorious!
Old 10-31-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Joe787

You have things to do tonight and I do not think drinking is part of your productive plan! Good job for posting here. Congrats on three weeks. That is remarkable.
I am on day six again. After 10 years of working on getting sober. I am so overwhelmed with this merry go round! I am willing to go to ANY lengths to get Sober this time. I am finally ready and very lucky I have another chance.
You will not regret not drinking in the morning!
Old 10-31-2019, 04:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Stay strong. Having a drinks satisfies the "right now", but tomorrow comes and we have regrets. You don't want that, and neither do we.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You've got this Joe.
Maybe a good workout or a hot shower/bath would get your mind to quite down a bit?
Old 10-31-2019, 05:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Early bedtime? You’ll feel a lot better in the morning, Joe! This too shall pass!
Old 10-31-2019, 05:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You have two doors in front of you. One might be fun (for the night) to walk through - there are blinking lights around it screaming “choose me!” - but it leads to a hellish merry-go-round of obsessive thinking and compulsive drinking. It might cost you your life. The other door seems boring and no fun at all. But...this second door leads to peace, safety, success, love, etc.

I like to make decisions from the future. Meaning, in one year from now, will you look back on this night and wish you opened door 1 or door 2?
Old 10-31-2019, 05:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think for many of us sobriety gets to become a habit around 3 weeks. It's going to be harder to pick up a drink then to stay sober. You know in your heart you don't really want to drink now.

What you are craving is an illusion. I dont know why when the alcohol calls us it only emphasizes that brief period of a comfortable buzz which is just a fraction of the whole experience.

Look at the whole process of drinking. It just leads to wanting to drink more. Losing control, doing things you dont want to do, feeling like crap.
As soon as you pop the first beer you will be miserable. That early part of the buzz will be destroyed by what did I do. If you pick up a drink its gonna suck.

Right now you just put a guerrilla in a cage. He is smiling at you, convincing you he can behave this time if you let him out of the cage. He wants you to see he really wasn't so bad. If you let him out you are going to have a wild animal on your hands. Who knows what he will destroy this time and if and when you will get him back in the cage.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

When you become addicted to alcohol, simply drinking 2 drinks won't cut it because your body will crave more. If you stop at 2, you will feel worse than if you had remained sober because your body is primed for alcohol and will release a bunch of chemicals in response to the alcohol and your craving for more than 2 drinks will kick in. So, the result is you will end up drinking more than 2 and keep going. Most people think they will go back to being a "normal drinker" but our bodies aren't wired that way anymore and those days are in the past. We need more and will continue to drink in excess. Good luck tonight.