Notices

Life was going too good...

Old 10-30-2019, 10:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life was going too good...

Hi all, been awhile. Today is 322 days and it has been a busy year. Maintained my sobriety, bought a house, have quite smoking for the last 34 days and wife and I were talking about having our first child.

Yesterday, due to some concerns about effectiveness in my response to the meds I'm on (anxiety) I finally got the courage to reach out to a Therapist and talk about some things that have been concerning me lately (I know I should have a long time ago). I'm terrified of relapse and constantly read of about thought patterns and warning signs; am I preparing myself for a relapse? OK, going to be hard times ahead with that one, but I can do it.

This morning I got a quote for some chimney work that an original inspector had quoted at $2,400 before we closed on the house. Second opinion is $20,725.

Twenty minutes later my boss calls and informs me that do to downsizing I am being laid off. Bottom drops out.

I'm sitting here still in shock, not really knowing what to do just know that I can't let it get to me. I'm trying to be proactive and started looking at the job sites but it's just too depressing right now. Entire life on pause. Right now I am going to go to lunch with a co-worker that was notified this morning as well (also recovering alcoholic) and commiserate. After that, I suppose life will go on.

Really just a stream on consciousness post. Whatever, needed to get it out to people who get it.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ugh, I'm sorry about the lay-off! But, yes, life will go on. I think that commiserating with your co-worker is a good idea. Hopefully you can offer each other support and suggestions for moving forward. As you said, things are on hold, but hopefully not for long.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A good idea may be to write/mentally write a gratitude list about all of the gifts that you have in your life as a consequence of being sober. I know for me that is life itself as I’d be dead without sobriety.

I would also say if you stay sober, make sure you do positive things each day, facilitate personal/emotional/spiritual growth and have faith in recovery then everything will all turn out for you. This is my experience and those of many who I see at meetings frequently.

Also regarding fear of relapse then my experience is that as long as I am spiritually fit then I am in a position of neutrality to alcohol so there’s no fear there. I am careful not to romanticise it too much though. Respect is healthy but fear may indicate that you’ve got work to do on your recovery. For me the spiritual side of my recovery negates any fear.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AKA ComputerMan

Man, i had something like that happen to me back in 2010, it sucks but you have to keep moving on. Take your skills and apply them to another company. Or hey, go back to college like i did!!!
Old 10-30-2019, 11:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Congrats on your sobriety.

Originally Posted by vxper View Post
This morning I got a quote for some chimney work that an original inspector had quoted at $2,400 before we closed on the house. Second opinion is $20,725.
Get a 3rd.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Feeling better. Lunch with my co-worker was good and we've made plans for me to attend my first AA meeting this Sunday (a group he said he likes and helped him). I had already been doing gig driving (food delivery) on the side for a little extra cash, I can put more hours in to that while I look for another job and that will help out a lot. I'm going to go soak some beans for chili which I had been planning on making tonight anyway (part of my annual giant batch I make). Life is still good.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey congratulations on your sober time I'm sorry to hear about your situation look when one door closes five more open up you got to be positive I know it sucks but you can do this. ✌
Old 10-30-2019, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It’s really good that you have recognised the warning signs and taken action to prevent relapse.

There is is no situation that alcohol will make better and there is every situation alcohol will make worse!
Old 10-30-2019, 02:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi vxper. I'm sorry for what you're dealing with - but so proud of you for recognizing the need to reconnect with those who understand. As we've already painfully learned, alcohol doesn't calm us or help us get through bad times. It just adds to our stress when we sober up and realize we've let ourselves down.

Venting is healthy - and we're open 24/7.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Vxper - so glad to see your update and steps on this crummy package deal of problems happening now. Others have chimed in well, and I'll just add that when I quit, money issues had to be tackled one step at a time. Some of that was facing seemingly insurmountable medical bills by setting up payment plans of $10 a month; I was making $8.25 an hour at my fast food job and the $100 total of the payments was truly the most i could do.

Stuff like that and other tiny baby steps (like lunch with a sober friend, more hours driving, getting sleep, so on) are the best plan. We can stay sober if we bite off one bit at a time.

Glad you are here. It can seem completely paralyzing to act and stay sober when this kind of stuff piles on us at once. The only way I got thru those "worsts" was getting my head on the pillow sober every night.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you're feeling better vxper

There really is nothing so bad a drink can;t make worse. Congrats on 322 days - wishing you the best in finding a new job quickly - and yeah get another chimney quote for sure

D
Old 10-30-2019, 06:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know if you weren't sober for this long....you would not be doing as well as you are doing now....when one door closes another one opens....sounds like your young (if you are having first child)...and that just means...YOU WILL HAVE ANOTHER JOB....

However, if you were to drink....there would be no guarantee of life continuing to go in a positive direction....It is so positive that your not drinking right now...you are going thru a lot of hard stuff....big life changes.

That chimney? Is there a lemon law for houses or something? I would talk to a lawyer....
Old 10-30-2019, 07:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It'll all work out.. like Carl said; get a 3rd or even 4th estimate on the chimney (or with the newfound time off learn masonry lol). AA meeting(s) always helped me when I was facing some 'life change' moments so, that's a good idea...

PS: let me get your chili recipe.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vxper View Post
Feeling better. Lunch with my co-worker was good and we've made plans for me to attend my first AA meeting this Sunday (a group he said he likes and helped him). I had already been doing gig driving (food delivery) on the side for a little extra cash, I can put more hours in to that while I look for another job and that will help out a lot. I'm going to go soak some beans for chili which I had been planning on making tonight anyway (part of my annual giant batch I make). Life is still good.
This made me smile. Keep it up!
Old 10-31-2019, 06:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sobriety!

Regarding the chimney, well, get another opinion because that jump is too high.

With relation to your job, it absolutely fine to feel down. Nobody likes to be laid off. However, things will pick up for sure.!

Keep it up!
Old 11-02-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
It'll all work out.. like Carl said; get a 3rd or even 4th estimate on the chimney (or with the newfound time off learn masonry lol). AA meeting(s) always helped me when I was facing some 'life change' moments so, that's a good idea...

PS: let me get your chili recipe.
Modified off of a ICS champion recipe (2012 & 2013) - https://www.chilicookoff.com/winning-recipes

5 lbs sirloin roast cubed
2 lbs andouille sausage sliced and quartered
5 medium yellow onions
1 pack cellary
3-4 pablano peppers
1-2 lbs chili beans (soaked over night)
3 28 oz cans stewed tomatoes
2 14 oz cans tomato sauce
48 oz beef broth
48 oz chicken broth
Cholula hot sauce to taste

1st Spices:
4 tbsp paprika
6 tsp onion powder
4 tsp garlic powder
8 tsp beef granules
4 tsp chicken granules
2 tsp seasoned salt
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp ground chili pepper

2nd Spices:
12 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp seasoned salt
14 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp ground chili pepper

3rd Spices:
8 tsp chili powder
4 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garlic powder

- Saute the onion and celery in LARGE stock pot until onion begins to soften.
- Add pablano peppers and saute until just soft.
- Add sirloin and sausage and brown.
- Add first spices and stir until well combined.
- Add stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for ~30 minutes
- Add second spices and beans. Allow to cook and stir occasionally until beans are cooked.
- Add water if needed.
- Add third spices and hot sauce to taste. Simmer for ~ 30 minutes.

Serve with chili fixins (sour cream, cheddar cheese and chopped white onion).
Old 11-02-2019, 11:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey vxper--so glad you're feeling better, and thanks for the chili recipe; I'm a vegetarian but make chili with impossible burger--could use veggie Italian sausage in it as well-and I like beans in my chili too. Off to the supermarket--hope you're having an excellent day.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
not a greeter

The chili sounds great vxper. Congrats on your sober time. Sorry about the lay off but at least you have the delivery thing for now. I like your comment that life is still good.