Notices

Rock Bottom

Old 10-29-2019, 12:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Stable View Post
Thanks all. I have been in contact with Alcoholics Anonymous contacts today.

i find AA very challenging and don’t understand how attending meetings miraculously gets you sober?

I will attend a meeting this week.
Nothing will miraculously get you sober. It's hard work but it does get easier the longer you maintain. That's OK though because now that you've made the decision that you want out no matter what you'll be willing to put in the hours.

I didn't use AA but I was on here every single night for several hours for a year. If I wasn't working or doing the laundry I was working on my recovery. It was like another full-time job for the better part of a year. I devoted that much of time to drinking so it's only reasonable I replace it with the same amount of effort to recover. If you want to do something it is necessary to surround yourself with people doing the same thing you are.

It concerns me that you stated you will go to a meeting this week. If AA is your plan you should go to one tonight, and the next, and the next until you get your legs under you again.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yes I need help this time and need structure in recovery.

I just cant go through another day like this. The pain has been very intense.

Also so getting drunk on a Monday and not turning up to work today has not gone down well with my employer.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
That feeling is the reality of alcohol addiction. Let it sink in. Then use it to your advantage. I would have full-blown cravings for 3 hours a night between 7 and 10. I would sit in the bathtub basically rocking back and forth for the first month. Every time my mind try and get me to go buy alcohol I would pull that feeling from deep inside my soul and hold it until the craving subsided. Then about a minute later a new craving would come and I'd do the same thing. I learned to associate alcohol with pain instead of believing in the story.
This is powerful.

I'm quoting the whole thing because in some way or another, this is the kind of thing we all have to do to .... get started, get thru, keep going. This is the kind of visceral example of "whatever it takes" that finally registered w me about what I had to do at the beginning. Sometimes I'd experience spatial distortion just moving in my apt, for example - not even driving or having real stimulus- and I would put my hands out on one end of the kitchen island and consciously focus my eyes. It helped channel me and even when I had to pair it with conscious breath counting, it got me thru difficult minutes.

You can do this with a plan. Glad you are back. Please stay!
Old 10-29-2019, 02:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Nothing will miraculously get you sober. It's hard work but it does get easier the longer you maintain. That's OK though because now that you've made the decision that you want out no matter what you'll be willing to put in the hours.

I didn't use AA but I was on here every single night for several hours for a year. If I wasn't working or doing the laundry I was working on my recovery. It was like another full-time job for the better part of a year. I devoted that much of time to drinking so it's only reasonable I replace it with the same amount of effort to recover. If you want to do something it is necessary to surround yourself with people doing the same thing you are.

It concerns me that you stated you will go to a meeting this week. If AA is your plan you should go to one tonight, and the n
ext, and the next until you get your legs under you again.
Agree strongly.

Go to AA the absolute next possible time. I mean, tonight or in the morning or after hopefully working tomorrow. Not kidding.

Everything else had to literally take a backseat to what I needed to do for hours and days at the start. My life has changed tremendously with the freedom AA has brought me (nothing miraculous, ditto the above) but the bottom line is the same:

To any lengths, at any cost.

Every day. Which reminds me, I haven't been to a mtg in a few days, it would have made my emotional balance better, and I am going at noon tomorrow. I have a lot of other things to do for that emotional sobriety I maintain, but a mtg is never a bad idea-if only for this girl to spend an hour with other people trying to live a good sober life.

Every bit of effort we throw into whatever recovery plan we choose is repaid in spades, daily. I've never done anything better than getting sober.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Google the Dan and Shay Official VIDEO "how not to"..then get to a meeting ASAP..if you want.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

OMG Don't Remember. I have chills everywhere. I'm about to share this with the restaurant industry group I lead. Fitting in that way and every way. THANK YOU.

***except most people shouldn't start dating someone they meet in AA when one day sober, or not yet sober***
Old 10-29-2019, 03:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Google the Dan and Shay Official VIDEO "how not to"..then get to a meeting ASAP..if you want.
Is that how you feel about drinking?
Old 10-29-2019, 11:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Is that how you feel about drinking?
Not sure what you're asking? I haven't had a drink in over 2yrs, technically 3 but, I had a 'one night reminder' around 9mo.. the video is powerful though!
Old 10-29-2019, 11:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
OMG Don't Remember. I have chills everywhere. I'm about to share this with the restaurant industry group I lead. Fitting in that way and every way. THANK YOU.

***except most people shouldn't start dating someone they meet in AA when one day sober, or not yet sober***
I meant to make an edit that there's some serious 13th stepping going on! But I got distracted by a shiny object or something. Lol