Notices

Routine/boredom/mundane

Old 10-24-2019, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Routine/boredom/mundane

Evening all

Well 82 days i moved back to the UK and haven’t drank since.

Got a very different life now.

Up early, do whatever, work, gym, chill, cook, Bed early.

Just feeling really bored with the repetitiveness. It’s like groundhog day!

Anyone else gone through this and got through it?
Old 10-24-2019, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I find life boring if I'm drinking as well. It's no surprise I don't always remember how boring - I've been drinking.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

82 days of sobriety is great!

Why not try something new and interesting if you're bored? What do you like to do ? Have you thought of volunteering in your community. It's a great way to give back and to meet new people.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your 82 days sober! I second the suggestion of volunteering in your community. It's a great way to help others and meet now people.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try getting immersed in recovery.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brighterday1234 View Post
Try getting immersed in recovery.
Yep,, then add all that other good stuff. I had to learn to sort out what I called "boredom" for what it really was- tired, aggravated, sad, restless.....and during these early days where you are it was a lot to do.

Keep going- my interest in life and other people and things outside of me returned and is so much greater.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Al34 View Post
Evening all

absolutely. I go through it on the regular. I'm getting better at accepting my new reality but I vacillate from time to time. Its a mindset and I hope you can come to terms with your newfound sobriety.

PS. Its not actually a new reality. Started my journey in October of 2015, seriously seems like yesterday.
Those that have been here awhile know I had a very rocky road.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also struggle with boredom in sobriety. 'Fear of missing out', or FOMO, eats away at me. A recent example for me was earlier this year when Toronto's NBA team won the basketball championship and every bar/pub in city, actually, in Canada, was jammed full. I can't sit at home alone sober while this is going on. It was impossible for me.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'll take sober and bored any day. ✌
Old 10-24-2019, 07:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

crumbs...nothing was more boooooring and repetitive than the drinking days!!
Old 10-25-2019, 01:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Al34 View Post
Evening all

Maybe reflect on things you used to enjoy as a kid and re-kindle them - sports, hobbies, reading, etc. This worked for me to fill time at the weekend in a healthy way.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Always worth remembering the reality of drinking for an alcoholic too. It was a horror for me so some boredom in early recovery is par for the course tbh and more than worth the horror of active alcoholism.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Finding Joy's in small things helps me,a new flavored coffee,a meal out with hubs or my daughter,a small treat I buy for myself,a show I like on TV,a small garden etc,sure it's mundane but the missing out on life while drinking was the most BORING waste of my time for years! I never want to go back to that self imposed prison
Old 10-26-2019, 06:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My drinking was horribly repetitive, and so is my sobriety. I suspect that’s just life...trudging along with some highlights and lowlights thrown in. As I’ve gotten older I have accepted that it can’t all be fireworks and rainbows, and I’ve evolved into experiencing loads of contentment in my boring, repetitive life.

I believe that repetition is what makes good (or bad) habits. I also sleep early, get up early, work, exercise, parent. Each day I do so the right and healthy choices become more ingrained.

And that’s good, because nothing ever stays the same. Life will throw me curve balls, good and bad, and I’ll need the strength and resources I’ve built up in the slow times to manage in a healthy way. For me, the mundane time is when I build up resources for the tough times.

Congrats on your sober time!
-bora
Old 10-26-2019, 08:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
nez

I get through it by practicing gratitude. My number one priority is to not drink and the fact that I am not, is a good step towards gratitude. That morphed into gratitude for the things I could do now that I am not drinking. Then came gratitude for being able to handle situations better. Today life constantly reminds me of the gratitude I have for being free. All the choices I make going forward are up to me. I can change whatever I want about me!
Old 10-26-2019, 05:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Boring is good- compared to what I had become...but think on this (used a lot at meetings, this one)

Insanity is repeating the same actions over and over, and expecting a different result (apparently Albert- E.)
Old 10-26-2019, 06:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Al34, I feel like this a bit lately and I am roughly the same time in as you. I think that it is just an indicator that I am getting alright. Now I have a bit of time under my belt (and more time on my hands with not drinking) I am starting to question what I want from life. I think that is okay and part of the journey. When I am ready I will make some changes, but it is always a process. First I bitch about things and then I make changes. That said, I do also know that I need to be vigilant when I start to bitch - I think I heard the term 'stinking thinking' somewhere. I sent myself off into the gratitude forum earlier as a pre-caution.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Maybe try learning a new skill? Like writing an app, playing an instrument, fixing up your car, woodwork, etc.