Notices

Recipe for sobriety- Weekenders 25 - 28 October 2019

Old 10-26-2019, 10:49 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Harriet I am glad you felt a bit better yesterday and hope you slept better last night.

Well done loulou. I think an answer that shuts down the question totally is a good idea, otherwise you will always be making excuses. Something like alcohol doesn't agree with me or a straight I no longer drink. No need for anything more.

Mariposa that must of been scary. I hope you are feeling a bit better now. If not as others have said, a trip to the Dr is necessary.

I don't like the clock change either Mags. Gonna be an extra long day. I hope the promised sunshine shows its face later.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:10 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders. I agree, messing around with the clocks is dumb. I understand there might have been a point to it back in the days before electricity but not in 2019. We should just stay on BST.

Mecanix is a South London man originally I believe though he lives in the north west now.
Good to hear the Meters Dragon
Old 10-27-2019, 12:56 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Morning everyone, hope your all doing well. Finally some lovely sunshine up north after a week of torrential rain. Least I will get a chance to put away the ton of kiln dried logs I got delivered in the log store. Happy to be on GMT now, my body clock works better when we’re actually using the real time. It’s always confused me why putting the clocks back is seen as a bad thing because it takes us to the correct time zone and summer or BST is an hour ahead of the correct time zone lol.

The older cat now hates little Max, hisses at him all the time and won’t let him snuggle so having to keep an eye on them both, no idea why just seems one day they were pals and now their not. As long as I pass the checks should start work again next week, took a fixed term contract till Jan 2020, not as good money but I get proper paid holidays, bank holidays and are classed as an employee which will be nice to just settle for a year and have some consistency in my life.

Hope your looking after yourself MLD, been thinking of you a lot lately so sending you a big hug from across the pond.

Anyhow, take care all and be good! cx
Old 10-27-2019, 01:40 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Me too - it's good to be sober this Sunday morning
hi mags, yes I'm a bit further up the north east side. It's pretty chilly this morning but the sky is blue and the sun is shining and quite golden. So that makes up for the cold.

​​​​​Finally got a reasonable nights sleep so feeling infinitely better. 6 days today so still early days. Key ingredient in my recipe is SR. Should have one energy for a few household chores today. Got to get some laundry done at least. Probably make a healthy but very easy vegetable soup with cheese for lunch.

Loving this golden morning light
Old 10-27-2019, 01:42 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post

The older cat now hates little Max, hisses at him all the time and won’t let him snuggle so having to keep an eye on them both, no idea why just seems one day they were pals and now their not.
I had this with two of my dogs. Alfie absolutely adored Merlin (now very sadly passed) and vice versa. Then when Alfie was no longer a weaker member of the pack as in a puppy they fought for dominance. Poor Merlin being much older lost his hierarchy which was very sad. It actually made me dislike Alfie for sometime as he was being so horrible.

It still makes me sad as Merlin was such a loving dog and Alfie just bullied him constantly. Matilda wasn't involved, it was definitely a thing between the two boys.

I hope your Alfie and Max sort it out.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:11 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi MantaLady, all the best with your new job. It’s a shame your cats aren’t getting on, do you think the older one is a bit jealous, though come to think of it my older cat get annoyed with the younger one, though there’s only 6 months between them, the young one acts like a young kitten all the time.

Sun is out here too, but cold. Nice to see the sun.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:46 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. It's Day 300 for me and the sun is shining here.

I sometimes end up watching Strictly on a Saturday night at my parents' place - they are great fans. I thought the Halloween special was actually quite fun. A Paso Doble based on Stranger Things - clever...

Congrats Manta on the new contract. It looks like the IR35 tax reforms will mean I'm heading for 'on payroll' work in the New Year as well. It seems increasingly difficult to be a contractor in the UK, though I'm still doing some freelancing in the meantime.

Thoughts to you Snoozy - life is precious. Thank goodness we can experience it fully in sobriety.

Anyway, a mix of work and leisure today and some Sunday night cooking later. All good. ..

Warm wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:11 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by Forwards View Post
Congrats Manta on the new contract. It looks like the IR35 tax reforms will mean I'm heading for 'on payroll' work in the New Year as well. It seems increasingly difficult to be a contractor in the UK
Agreed! I’ve contracted lots of places in the North West and whilst I could reluctantly suck up the loss of income to go PAYE on a contract day rate, I can’t risk working anywhere I have already worked as a LTD outside IR35 contractor but now on PAYE as that might suggest my previous determination of status was dishonest. That pretty much means not many places I will be able to work next year. Well, it was good whilst it lasted and time to do something different.

Mags, not sure if it’s jealousy with Alfie, I think Max is just getting to big to play fight with and Alfie is seeing the play fighting as a challenge to his top cat position in the house. Ordered some of that feliway plugin stuff from Amazon and will see if that helps any. x
Old 10-27-2019, 05:21 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

What's up everyone, it's Sunday.

Last night I was feeling like a sack of ****, to be frank. Called my mom and sat in the Trader Joe's parking lot for about a half hour before going in and deciding to get whatever my little heart desired. Got some stuff to make a lil charcuterie plate, ice cream sandwiches, and a flatbread, Exercised when I got home and watched some halloween themed cooking shows, and then Midsommar when it got dark enough to turn the lights off. A disturbing film, but a good one.

Anyway, I made it through and I'm hoping today will be better. I decided I need to now work on moving on. I have been thinking about the whole thing too much. So no more sad music, no more doing things to feel sad, etc. Gotta keep pushing forward.

Happy Sunday all. Sorry this post was all about me, but I'm glad to see all of you posting.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:33 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dpac414 View Post
What's up everyone, it's Sunday.

Last night I was feeling like a sack of ****, to be frank. Called my mom and sat in the Trader Joe's parking lot for about a half hour before going in and deciding to get whatever my little heart desired. Got some stuff to make a lil charcuterie plate, ice cream sandwiches, and a flatbread, Exercised when I got home and watched some halloween themed cooking shows, and then Midsommar when it got dark enough to turn the lights off. A disturbing film, but a good one.

Anyway, I made it through and I'm hoping today will be better. I decided I need to now work on moving on. I have been thinking about the whole thing too much. So no more sad music, no more doing things to feel sad, etc. Gotta keep pushing forward.

Happy Sunday all. Sorry this post was all about me, but I'm glad to see all of you posting.
I love charcuterie plates and make up a plate myself often. They're one of the most delicious meals ever imo. Sounds like my kind of evening - cooking shows and then a disturbing film when it's dark.

I'm glad your post was all about you because then I'm not the only one lol. Besides, I like to hear how other people are doing.

Hope you have a good sunday
Old 10-27-2019, 06:24 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders!

Just curious about this Harriet11 :

"None (N/A)" is a Narcotic Anonymous group?
They find funny names for these AA (or NA) groups sometimes and I like this one

Have a good Sunday folks!
Old 10-27-2019, 06:30 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canadian Koala View Post
Hello Weekenders!

Just curious about this Harriet11 :

"None (N/A)" is a Narcotic Anonymous group?
They find funny names for these AA (or NA) groups sometimes and I like this one

Have a good Sunday folks!
Lol, I don't know why that's there. I've never taken narcotics or found treatment for anything other than alcohol which was AA and that's it.
In the questionnaire to join it asked if you have sort treatment for anything anywhere, as I haven't I left it blank so I thought it just meant that I have found treatment at None meaning nowhere and I thought the N/A meant not applicable.
I've seen it pop up with a few other people aswell
Old 10-27-2019, 06:46 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Ah...ok!
"None" was a pretty group name I thought...
I actually take "none" myself lol

Thanks Harriet
Old 10-27-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

There is an option in your profile to turn it off.

Morning and happy Sunday. Hi Manta
Hoping to get to some leaf raking today, but first, fluffy puppy needs a haircut. Mrs D. is making bacon and eggs so breakfast is top priority. We started Carol of the Bells in Uke class yesterday, challenging, but not bad, it's in three parts and I played second fiddle.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:50 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Sunday morning check-in.

Been a busy coupla days, and I'm OK with that. I like to be busy. When I am bored it takes more effort to keep my my from wandering...

My daughter is selling essential oils and we started a project to make some shelves for little oil bottles several months ago. We had all the pieces cut for 4 shelves and then have not been back to that project. I finished them all this morning. Feels good to have that done.

About 4 months ago a local university contacted me and asked me to be an adjunct professor. I agreed. Finished my first class last week. Now they've asked me to be Director of a particular degree program. We hashed out the details and the compensation on Friday afternoon, so I am starting that.

Hired my first person for my business a few weeks ago. Trying to create the necessary processes to get her fully integrated. Expect to hire 2-3 more in 2020.

Local community theater put out a call for volunteer painters for the set on Monday. Plan to do that.

All opportunities made possible by SOBRIETY.

Have a great Sunday, y'all!
Old 10-27-2019, 06:54 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Forwards View Post
Good morning everyone. It's Day 300 for me and the sun is shining here...
Congrats Forwards!
Old 10-27-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
There is an option in your profile to turn it off.
e.
i don't seem to be able to get into my profile to do anything. Im using a tablet so I tap on the bits around where it says Harriet's profile and nothing happens
Old 10-27-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canadian Koala View Post
Ah...ok!
"None" was a pretty group name I thought...
I actually take "none" myself lol

Thanks Harriet
. Lol
Old 10-27-2019, 07:17 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I think I'll get my very old laptop out that I haven't used for many years and see if it will be easier to use with SR
Old 10-27-2019, 07:45 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

It is a beautiful day and I have been on a lovely long river walk.