Notices

Sleep, the good and bad

Old 10-23-2019, 05:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Sleep, the good and bad

Hi All, on Day 70 here, which feels strange to say, it’s been so long since I got this far! Things are so much better on so many levels....including sleep. So much so that I’m going to bed ridiculously early and sleeping 10+ hours a night. I just love sleeping now!

I know after years of drunken sleep deprivation my body needed to catch up. But after 70 days, did others find they still needed to catch Up? Should I be getting myself more on an 8 hour schedule? Sleeping in is making me groggy and limiting my productivity during the day. But is it medically possible my body still needs to catch up more?

Thoughts?
Old 10-23-2019, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I’ll be following this thread. I too LOVE sleep now. But like you, even if I get a lot of sleep I’m still tired in the day.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm 2 years sober and I still sleep a lot sometimes. I love my bed too.
I put it down to our bodies heal when we sleep, I drank and smoked for 20 years, my body has a lot of damage to undo.
However, if I go a week where I only get 5 or 6 hours a night it doesn't affect me in a bad way, like when I drank and got poor sleep. I still don't sleep past 5am most days. My internal clock, but there are nights, mostly Tuesday when the kids have nothing, that I am in my jammies, curled with a book at 7:45pm.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've found I can't get enough sleep. I'm always trying to get to bed early, I need x amount of hours of rest, omg I can't be tired and irritable lest I go off on people. 🙄 But I digress. I think we are all like Jenny in Forrest Gump. When, towards the end, she goes to his home and sleeps. "Like she hadn't slept in years". We all know why she was sleeping. Now, we need that rest, that healing.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I could well be that you need more sleep still.

Congrats on 70 days sober!
Old 10-24-2019, 11:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is a great thread. I don't sleep enough and I go go go until I crash and sleep away the day on the weekend. For example, this week I have logged about 4 hours of sleep a night, because I stay up and do recovery work. I know this is unhealthy but right now, I am trying to get to bed earlier but cannot seem to.

I do, however, LOVE getting into bed, and falling asleep finally. I listen to a sleep meditation every night and I am usually asleep before it is done. I love that, as I used to be scared of going to bed.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Aaah sleep. Well let me tell you I sleep like a baby. Now that I got this king size pillow top bed with an additional 3 inch foam thingy. Oh I just melt. Lol. My sleep is sound. Not to mention my brain shuts down now instead of wheels turning when I was boozing . I am a morning person so sleeping in would be like 7 am .
Old 10-25-2019, 01:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Pinnacle,

same here. Over the last years, I just slept for 6 hours per night, at 5 am I was awake no matter what. Today I could sleep for 10 hours easily, which as a result makes me dizzy all day long.

I talked to my GP about it, she advised me to go to bed early and stand up as usual at 5 am (on workdays I have to anyway). On the weekend at 6 or 7 am. My focus should be on sleeping well rather than sleeping long, but with a regular sleeping rhythm.
I don't want to pretend I understood much of what she explained about circadian rhythm, slow-wave sleep phases and deep sleep in general. However, I know that effect from weekend siestas very well, 25 minutes of dozing off completely relax me, 60 minutes ruin the rest of my day. It was interesting to learn, that people who are suffering from depression are strongly advised to stand up really early in the morning.

It works perfectly fine. Yes, I still have to force myself out of the sheets, but a couple of minutes later I'm top fit and sharp.

And congratulations to day 70! :o)
Old 10-25-2019, 02:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

My sleep cycles. It depends on variables.

Now that I quit drinking, I have found that I can function on nearly no sleep for 24 hours.

When i am really tired, i will sleep for 7 hours straight. I take naps to make up for lack of sleep.

I drank, off and on, since I was a little kid.

When I quit things got better. Sleep is better and I am optimistic it will improve.

I still have issues from my drinking days that are improving.

The bottom line is never drink again, or face the hell on earth I have just barely gotten out of.

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I was in my alcohol addiction I would be
on the road some nights visiting a favorite club
where music and folks like me who drank and
partied till closing time. Then get in my car and
drive home, racing some soul or driving the wrong
way putting myself and others in harms way.

One night returning home, 2am, I ran off the road
hitting a concrete culvert head on. With numerous
surgeries to patch me back up with a 10 day hospital
stay.

The next drunken incident landed me in rehab where
my family stepped in because I wasn't capable of controlling
my addiction.

Late night road trips, drinking, driving, lying, cheating,
stealing etc, all became a part of my recovery story.

Once I got into recovery 29 yrs ago and began incorporating
a program of recovery as a guideline to live by on a continuous
bases then I began to heal in mind, body and soul.

My bed became my safe haven. I couldn't believe how much
I appreciated this gift in my life. A soft place to lay after a sober,
honest day. A place I learned for my body to heal after a day of
physical work. A place I learned that sleeping and resting my
mind body and soul would be beneficial to my health in the
long run.

With all I do during the day. Working Gods Earth in my garden,
healthy food during the day, coming here to SR to share my
ESH with others in recovery, my safe haven, bed, is waiting
for me to begin the healing process thru out the night.

I go to bed early and rise early. Get my days work done, rinse
and repeat the next day.

Sleep is an important tool I embrace and never take for
granted in recovery because it's a gift that keeps on giving
day after day with positive results.

All in moderation too. Remembering too much of anything
isn't good for me. Even sleep. With Faith I intuitively know
what is necessary for me to keep thriving each day I remain
sober, honest, and responsible.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I sleep a bunch. 11 hours a night if I let my body decide. After years of insomnia, it’s delicious.

I’m in my late 40’s now, and chalk it up to aging. I jettisoned the idea that “adults” don’t go to bed until 10 or 11. If I’m tired at 7, I go to bed if responsibilities allow.

I do credit sufficient rest as part of my sustained sobriety. When I’m tired is when I my body thinks I need alcohol/sugar/more food to try to prop it up, when what I really need is a nap.
-bora
Old 10-25-2019, 04:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations Pinnacle on 70 days! This thread is very interesting.

Sleep has changed for me too, big time. Sleep used to be a dissatisfying struggle. Dragging myself to bed, I knew I’d be awake in a few hours, sweating and tossing and turning only to get up feeling terrible.

Now, I look forward to bed. I appreciate my bed, soft pillow, clean sheets and I get up feeling rested, most mornings.

I don’t really sleep past 6:30 or 7. Sometimes I get up earlier and I love this quiet time. I have my coffee, sit in my quiet living room and wait for the morning activities to slowly start outside. Most mornings I feel peaceful and it really does feel like a gift.

I’ve definitely realized how my level of productivity during the day can affect my mood. Getting up late throws me off and I tend to be less productive which makes me beat myself up so I try to keep it early.

I think it’s very interesting what Ravel said, that people with depression are advised to get up early. I definitely see a connection between my mood and getting an early start but I had thought it was just down to my productivity level. It’ll be something interesting to read about.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NicLin View Post
This is a great thread. I don't sleep enough and I go go go until I crash and sleep away the day on the weekend. For example, this week I have logged about 4 hours of sleep a night, because I stay up and do recovery work. I know this is unhealthy but right now, I am trying to get to bed earlier but cannot seem to.

I do, however, LOVE getting into bed, and falling asleep finally. I listen to a sleep meditation every night and I am usually asleep before it is done. I love that, as I used to be scared of going to bed.
Thanks NicLin, I used to be afraid of waking up hungover as hell.

I’m up at 430 this morning, only because my old dog fell during the night on the hardwood floor and I awoke to his whimpering and scratching. Poor guy...but that’s another story for another post...
Old 10-25-2019, 05:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is really helpful everyone. I’m going to try setting the alarm and standing up early. I too feel unfulfilled if I get a late start on my work. I usually have my best thinking and me time early in the day. I’m grateful that I often work from home, so short naps are always an option if needed.

Waking up early to be productive, sound sleep, peaceful naps...none were remotely possible when I was a drunk.