Notices

Greetings

Old 10-22-2019, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Greetings

Good morning all,

Let me start that I have lurked over 12 years. This site was very helpful during my then year 10 years sobriety. But one day a few years ago, I thought I could drink like normal person and we all know how that goes.

Needless to say I have battled sobriety on and off. 8 Months sober, weeks sober, until this weekend. Went on a bender and figured I need to stay sober. Went to a Dr and Im doing the home detox. On day 2.

Still have he shakes a bit but I dont feel like death warmed over. Librium taper and naltrexon.

Just thought I would check in
Old 10-22-2019, 10:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

Glad you're here!

Old 10-22-2019, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome izzy.

Wow 12 years is a long time to lurk. I am pleased you have decided to post now and that your Dr is helping you with the detox.

Well done on day 2. With 10 years sobriety behind you, I imagine you have a good idea what to expect.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
totfit

Glad you are here and thanks for the reminder. That being said, I had a couple of years of sobriety years back and slipped up. Thought I would never gain traction again........but I am over four years continuous with just a couple of days slip at the beginning for the four years and two before the slip...........so there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Izzy!
Old 10-22-2019, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the posting side of things Izzy

D
Old 10-22-2019, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the support. I have a question about the librium? Im taking as directed but it is kicking my butt. I feel almost as messed up as being drunk, is this normal? Tommorrow I go from 1 pill every 4 hours to three Wed then 2 Thursday and 1 Friday. Is this to be expected?
Old 10-22-2019, 07:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome, izzy.
sorry, i know nothing about the librium, but i do know that participating instead of lurking made a huge difference for me. hope it will for you, too.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by izzy1962 View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the support. I have a question about the librium? Im taking as directed but it is kicking my butt. I feel almost as messed up as being drunk, is this normal? Tommorrow I go from 1 pill every 4 hours to three Wed then 2 Thursday and 1 Friday. Is this to be expected?
I have no experience with librium., Can you ask your Dr? That would be the best advice we could give you here

D
Old 10-25-2019, 04:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

10 years sobriety. But one day a few years ago, I thought I could drink like normal person.
OMG. If I hear this one more time I'm going to scream. OK, I'm not really going to scream. I just feel like it. It's such a common fail point that I'm starting to think it's probably the cause of relapse 98% of the time, the other 2% being to simply self destruct.

But I do feel compelled to ask you why you thought you could drink like a normal person? And did you really think that, or did you just choose to drink?
Old 10-25-2019, 05:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Izzy, Sorry I have no experience with librium either.

I just wanted to say thanks for your post. I need the reminders that abstinence from alcohol is not control and congratulations on fighting back. How’s it going?
Old 10-25-2019, 05:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Hi Izzy, I have experience with Librium.

I’ve been prescribed it a few times in hospital, and then to take home to continue my detox. 4 a day, then three, two and one taper. I felt like a bag of bricks on it, super drowsy and heavy. But I think that’s the point, to counteract the withdrawal symptoms of anxiety, sweats, rapid heartbeat and so on. As i tapered and came off it the fog lifted.. That’s my personal experience...I found it helpful. I took as directed and just rested.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
OMG. If I hear this one more time I'm going to scream. OK, I'm not really going to scream. I just feel like it. It's such a common fail point that I'm starting to think it's probably the cause of relapse 98% of the time, the other 2% being to simply self destruct.

But I do feel compelled to ask you why you thought you could drink like a normal person? And did you really think that, or did you just choose to drink?
I totally agree with what you are saying as I am proof. Didnt really want to go into details but... It was a combination of a promotion to a stressful position and the death of my younger brother (the death was tough enough, but the drama between his meth head partner and my parents was horrible) within a month of each other. Thought I could cope like I used too. Currently I working for a coping mechanism for my old coping mechanism. Thats why I'm seeing a therapist
Old 10-25-2019, 08:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinnacleOR View Post
Hi Izzy, I have experience with Librium.

I’ve been prescribed it a few times in hospital, and then to take home to continue my detox. 4 a day, then three, two and one taper. I felt like a bag of bricks on it, super drowsy and heavy. But I think that’s the point, to counteract the withdrawal symptoms of anxiety, sweats, rapid heartbeat and so on. As i tapered and came off it the fog lifted.. That’s my personal experience...I found it helpful. I took as directed and just rested.
Thanks, last single dose today at 0900!
Old 10-25-2019, 08:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Izzy!
Old 10-25-2019, 10:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just read your post about your brother's death and the ensuing drama with your parents. That must have been very hard for you. I suspect you are a resilient and brave person and I'm sure you'll get back on track and back to sobriety. Good that you posted.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good to see you getting sober Izzy
Old 10-26-2019, 05:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Prayers about your bro Izzy and welcome.

Great move seeing a therapist. Join some of the newcomer's threads. I find meetings useful too.