Notices

Very low

Old 10-22-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very low

Hi think I have managed to taper off. The sweats and shakes have gone. I managed to get a few hours sleep last night too. But I feel very low what’s the point. Is this normal?
Old 10-22-2019, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a depressant. So yes, it’s normal to feel very low. I can’t tell you how low I’ve felt in the days following heavy drinking. It can last a day, a week or a month. The good news is you never have to feel this way again if you’re willing to put in a little work.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very normal. It took me about 10 days after my last binge to start feeling back to me again.

Keep in mind it is the alcohol making you feel this way. That these feelings are not really you. Unfortunately you have to go through this to get to the other side. Stay close. You are not alone.

🙏❤
Old 10-22-2019, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, I know it is the affects of the alcohol. I’ll get there 🙂 I have just got to remind myself that I was suicidle during a bender. At least I don’t feel like that 😀
Old 10-22-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its very normal. Our minds and bodies take a battering when we drink. We have to give them time to recover.

Be kind to yourself - do normal familiar things - but stay the heck away from more drink

D
Old 10-22-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on making the choice to get sober. I am proud of you. Now let's get into some sober living. As you stated you is in the first stages which for me was the worse part of it. But the longer I stayed off the sauce and started reeping the benifits from doing so. You are gonna want to fuel that sober drive with action. Daily action. I was a sick man. For sure. And once I surrendered things started to turn for me for the better. I am now 171 days sober today due to taking the steps to feel better. And you my friend are going to do the same thing. I jave faith in you. This SR fam is awesome. ✌
Old 10-22-2019, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I’m sorry to hear your feeling low. I have been in the same situation as you today myself.

A torrent of painful emotions and anxiety is something we just need to go through and ride out. As someone said to me today it’s the brain retiring itself.

Give yourself a pat on the back your doing really well and tomorrow you will feel a lot better than today.

Stay close to soberrecovery and focus 100% on your recovery👍🏻
Old 10-22-2019, 05:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel. I grew up with an alcoholic mother but she never seemed to feel any low mood, shame, or guilt. So when I became alcoholic and suffered terribly with anxiety and shame, I thought I was an especially bad drunk. I realize now my mother just was someone who never showed her true feelings no matter how she felt. It is completely normal how you feel now.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I went low and up and low and then I got to feel just numb, then everything became really real......

Journey through the first year of sobriety. And no, you won't ever have to do that again as long as you don't pick up that first drink again! You're worth it!
Old 10-22-2019, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by Misspolly13 View Post
Hi think I have managed to taper off. The sweats and shakes have gone. I managed to get a few hours sleep last night too. But I feel very low what’s the point. Is this normal?
It takes a while to feel normal, but it gets better. I give you a lot of credit for getting through the physical stuff/withdrawals. You just got through that, give yourself a break and try to find simple things to take you mind off feeling low. Going for a long walk always seems to help with my mood and sleep. Hoping you are feeling a little better :-)
Old 10-22-2019, 10:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am at three months and went through a bad low. This is going to happen, and life will continue to come at you...the best thing you can is continue to grow your toolbox (or armory) to battle the next low. This is life on life's terms.

Every time you come out of one, you will be stronger and more aware of the resistances and triggers. You will understand more and more how to recognize them, accept them and work on yourself for the next one. Don't give up before the miracle happens and it will.

Rooting for you!