Notices

New to the forum

Old 10-20-2019, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the forum

I am new to the forum. A little bit about me is that I have been abstinent from alcohol for 10 years. I actively attended AA for about 5 years and then started seriously slacking off on meetings. I would head to 1 or 2 every now and then when the desire struck. I am one of those who does not want to seek help and I want to appear like I always have it all together, and often I do. But inside I struggle and am hurting. I started attending meetings again. I went three times last week, finally. I seek emotional sobriety and relief from my depression and anxiety. I have had so many challenges in my personal life the last 10 years and not had a drink over any of it, even though I wanted to. I left my husband who is still an active alcoholic. I moved out. My kids are grown. I have a 26 year old son who has been in recovery for over a year now. Thank God. I have so much to be grateful for. But I had a very challenging event come to surface that was something that happened as result of my drinking when I was 17. I started drinking at around 14 . I got sober at 21 and stayed sober for about 5 years. I relapsed. I would go back to meetings and relapse again. I was married to a man who wanted a drinking buddy. My story is too convoluted for this short intro. But I am sure many can identify. I spent years compromising my sobriety for the person I married. That was my choice. I don't blame him. Then finally I got sober and after 8 years left him and his drinking, apathy, and passive cruelty. No victim here. I did what I needed to do for me and I am at peace with that decision. My kids were happy for me and that says a lot. But then in January discovered something that really has been hard on me and my 35 year old daughter emotionally. It has triggered a lot from my past drinking. But I am here. I am back to meetings and I am hoping to intuitively handle this situation that is baffling me. But I need to work on my sobriety and felt I needed a safe place to discuss this issue until I can get a good sponsor. And also until I can a home group, commit to continuing to go to meetings. I know I need more help than I am willing to admit. I can appear to others like I have really got it together and then I am falling apart inside or I just want to isolate.
JJ
Old 10-20-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you found us.

The SR Community is a safe place and a good place to come for support. We do understand how hard this is, and we're here for you.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on 10 yrs sober! You'll find lots of support here.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. Browse around and read and post as much as you like.
It's great to have you here.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi & welcome!!
Old 10-20-2019, 04:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard JJ

D
Old 10-20-2019, 05:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you join us, JJ. SR made all the difference to me - I knew I was no longer alone.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Dafodil. I hope this lends a bit of extra strength to the growth you seek.

Also I gotta ask . . . where can I find some blue Daffodils???!
Old 10-21-2019, 08:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daffodil8 View Post
I need to work on my sobriety and felt I needed a safe place to discuss this issue until I can get a good sponsor. And also until I can a home group, commit to continuing to go to meetings. I know I need more help than I am willing to admit. I can appear to others like I have really got it together and then I am falling apart inside or I just want to isolate.
You're in the right place. Not drinking is what we do here. I bet you never saw yourself showing up at a place like this 10 years ago, but here you are, and we are glad to have you.

There are sites devoted to travel, flying remote controlled model airplanes, and training your dog, but this site is devoted to not doing something. Although, what is not said is that it opens doors to other things.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome, JJ, and how good that you can see what you need and are going after getting it.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!