Notices

Shame

Old 10-21-2019, 12:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Have you also decided to accept that there is no proof of that assertion ?

Can you accept that the prooflessness of the declaration is no way a hindering factor ?

Any and all doubt is by definition AV , ignore it.
I can't produce proof that woud satisfy you. But that's not very high on my list. I might fail like I did last week. If so, congatulations.
This is my way of doing it. In fact it's done. Negativity from others is not going to stop me.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Have you also decided to accept that there is no proof of that assertion ?

Can you accept that the prooflessness of the declaration is no way a hindering factor ?

Any and all doubt is by definition AV , ignore it.

Read your post again and see that maybe you're agreeing with me - I think. I believed that you were saying I needed to prove to you that my "I'm never going to drink again," statement was true - which of course is impossible.
But now I see you meant that......well I don't know what you meant about prooflessness.
The AV is everything that goes against that decision to stop drinking. Is that right? Or is the AV the voice that tells me I've stopped drinking forever?
I've no idea.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by taplow View Post
I can't produce proof that woud satisfy you. But that's not very high on my list. I might fail like I did last week. If so, congatulations.
This is my way of doing it. In fact it's done. Negativity from others is not going to stop me.
My bad, I should have worded that better.

Absolutely no ill will on my part. I meant to convey the idea that, that assertion is inherently 'nonprovable' .

My view and point was that, that is not disqualifying , and accepting that 'truth' of the unprovable -ness is how to shut down the AV.

I'm a rooter, you got this
Old 10-21-2019, 01:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My bad, I should have worded that better.

Absolutely no ill will on my part. I meant to convey the idea that, that assertion is inherently 'nonprovable' .

My view and point was that, that is not disqualifying , and accepting that 'truth' of the unprovable -ness is how to shut down the AV.

I'm a rooter, you got this
Sorry for misunderstanding you. I think I might have got sort of what you meant when I read it again. I posted again above.
First time I thought, well you know what.
Thanks.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
quat

Definitely my fault , congratulations on your decision!
Old 10-21-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

i always look for loopholes, taplow.
because of my own history.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I always look through peepholes as well. But we won't go into my history.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

yo, taplow.
tapping the low bottom of the sarcasm barrel here??

in case you’re NOT joking, just to say that knowing my history with loopholes and fooling myself, i highly recommend to you to be clear on your own. history and loopholes.
no need to share it here....other than what you already have.
how are you today?
Old 10-22-2019, 09:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Also Dee, I should add that though I've been told - well it's obvious really - that drinking interferes with the meds, I do still get plenty of fits in sober times.
I ought to keep a record of seizures against alcohol consumption but when sober I just don't see myself in a drinking world anymore so would think it a waste of time. But really if I did see a correlation then that would at least give me another reason to live sober.
I’m epileptic, my seizures are GREATLY reduced when I’m sober.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:21 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
yo, taplow.
tapping the low bottom of the sarcasm barrel here??

in case you’re NOT joking, just to say that knowing my history with loopholes and fooling myself, i highly recommend to you to be clear on your own. history and loopholes.
no need to share it here....other than what you already have.
how are you today?
I'm fine fini, how are you? Please don't take offence. It was not meant to be insulting, just the words were similar - assonance isn't it? I'm a decent chap really; the sort of man who always washes his hands after going to the toilet.
Well, moving on, I'll say that I've always been a master at deceiving myself, especially over drinking. There are always reasons to talk myself into it - it's sunny, it's wintry. I'm with people, I'm alone. I'm happy and need to celebrate, I'm sad and need to commiserate. How I didn't drink enough to get it out of my system so have a big binge and finish on a climax, then I can stop properly after the weekend. Maybe a reason might be that there are no reasons, utter despair, so why not get pissed.
Recently I realised - and it makes sense to me - that the big problem is using the word TRY. To try means there's doubt. Saying that I'm going to try not to drink turns the whole drinking subject into an internal debate. Why subject myself to this? I'll either give in under the pressure or successfully resist only to be fighting this battle for the rest of my stupid, sorry life. And all of that is because the doubt is there.
Why not sweep it all away? I don't have to examine my weaknesses, where I've gone wrong, why I've failed and how I can learn from that. None of that will help me. There's a whole network of intricate tangled thoughts that I can navigate. But examining past failiures to get one up on the desire to drink won't achieve anything, just continue the struggle, take up time and effort. It's one thought against an opposing thought; it's just something attacking itself. I can have all the reasons in the world, but there's still doubt. Earthlings, resistance is futile.
I believe that I can by-pass all that just by getting rid of trying. I say that drinking is out of the question. Sobriety is no longer something I hope for; it's already done, it's been achieved. It's not something I believe it's something I know, because if I don't know it then I've already put myself back in the arena.
For me now the whole looking through peepholes for loopholes thing is pointless.
I don't know if this is AVRT - I think it is - but whatever, it makes sense to me.

And once again fini, no offence meant.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:27 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

The Wisdom of Yoda

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” Yoda: The Empire Strikes Back
Old 10-23-2019, 03:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post

I’m epileptic, my seizures are GREATLY reduced when I’m sober.
I had 2 in 8 days when drinking last week. But I still get them when I'm sober. But yes, there's less of them.
I hope you're doing okay.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:07 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

no offence taken at all, taplow.
when i understood on a different level from before that i am an alcoholic, i could stop the loopy hole thing. the need for all of that was gone.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi everyone
I'm just ready to sail up on the calm waters of sobriety after a nearly a week of being cast adrift on the stormy waters of inept metaphor.
Yikes, this sounds like it's going to get heavy.

The fact is our own spare time says everything about who we truly are; this personal nightmare is what we can't escape from. I think that the main reason I drink is shame.
That's a little hard to follow.

So, I'm not sure that it's just a chemical thing - although when I get started I can't stop, so I've already shot down my own argument (what an idiot.) Yes of course it's a chemical thing, it's the added ingredient; it gives the same warm feeling as being immersed in gravy.
Alcohol is a vehicle for meeting others but I'm not sure I want to if I go by the calibre of some I met last week - "has Godfrey appeared in court yet?" "No, the penguin sanctuary have decided to drop the charges?"
This is not getting much clearer.

No but it's more than that. I just want to be absorbed in something meaningful. But alcohol covers my shame about the pointless vacuity of my life. And what I choose to do in my spare time shows to observers what I really am - ashamed.
Alcohol is like a little boy closing his eyes and thinking you can't see him. Anyway, just wanted to say that I'm giving it a go this time.
OK, I think I have the answer. You need a hobby.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Sorry DriGuy, but I think you misunderstood every point. My fault of course; I should have been clearer and simpler.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:20 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Tried to edit above post and add this in but it wouldn't let me save it. First I should say that first post was written while I was drinking. I sort of clarified that later on.

The first one's a joke, obviously not a very good one.

The second one's saying we are what we are when we're free to act. We have to accept responsibility for that. As for the shame bit, I'm saying that I meant that it's often the reason why I've started to drink again after a long abstinence.

The third one was - well it's clear to me. Trying again to be funny - unsuccessfully again.

Best wishes.

Last edited by Dee74; 10-25-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: refer PM
Old 10-25-2019, 06:32 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Sorry DriGuy, but I think you misunderstood every point. My fault of course; I should have been clearer and simpler.
I understood that it was a joke, but I actually thought it was pretty fair. I enjoy a good flow of word smithing as much as the next guy, but after all the flower and depth, I thought it would be fun to say something totally simple and inane like, "You need a hobby."

I actually enjoy your writing style.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

"You need a hobby" was good. I'd have liked to have said it if I'd been in the same position.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:10 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

sent you a PM Taplow.

D
Old 10-26-2019, 05:39 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm not sure that the shame of being alone made you drink Tap.
Doesn't really fit with the running narrative you wrote in another thread - but maybe it's just semantics....

I drank for a bewildering variety of reasons - but mostly because I could not handle my feelings - especially disappointment, fear, and loneliness - all the negative ones... but also the good ones...celebration,...reward and relaxation as well.

My mistake was thinking the only way I could ever deal with these feelings was drinking...thats simply not true.

Where the shame really cut in for me was after I drank. I bless the day I stopped doing that.

D
Wonderful advice & explanation