Notices

Dreaming of drinking

Old 10-19-2019, 03:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreaming of drinking

Last night I had not one, but two dreams about drinking. In the first, I was having a great time with my sister dancing and drinking (we used to have weekly lunch dates that turned into nights and several bottles of wine), and another where I was hastily taking a big chug of wine out of a mug as my husband came down the stairs, spilling it down my chin and trying to wipe it away before he could see how early I was drinking. Both very realistic, things that happened a lot in the past. So, I’ve avoided drinking for 14 days now, and my AV is trying to come at me while I sleep?? Get out of here buddy, not going to work. Celebrating my 2 weeks today!
Old 10-19-2019, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wish I had a nickel for every time someone had a drinking dream around here. I thought it was just me, but it turns out they are very common in recovery. Mine all occurred from like 6 months after I quit until maybe 3 years or so. I haven't had one in years now. I never understood why they are so common. They seemed to have no purpose other than to terrify me and wake me up.

Congratulations on your recovery and on your drinking dream. Drinking dreams are a sign, but I don't know of what or if they're good or bad.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I used to have drinking dreams all the time, but not so much anymore now that it’s been 9 months. I still have occasional booze-related dreams nowadays, but I no longer actually drink in them. (Usually I’ll dream that I’m planning to drink, then get sidetracked or change my mind.) So, maybe that’s progress?

Anyway, congratulations on two weeks! You are doing great.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Had one or two in the past four months.

I always wake up in terror that I relapsed and then I smile when I realise it was just a dream and I'm sober and I feel good.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 2 weeks!

Yes I am another one that has regular drinking dreams of all sorts. They are disturbing yet harmless. I guess it is our subconscious trying to make sense of the shift into sobriety.

I also once dream't that I won the lottery, the elation I felt in that dream was exhilarating, the happiest feeling ever and it seemed so real. I felt true disappointment when I woke.

Drinking dreams are no more real than winning lottery dreams.

Keep going, your doing great.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking dreams are common and will happen less frequently as your sober time accumulates.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll still have one one in a while and haven't drank in a bit over 2.5 years. Usually when I have them I grab a cup and take a sip suddenly realizing it contains alcohol. Then I wake up freaking out about it for a while.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its very common Jaz but I didn't attach any deeper meaning to it - I was just remembering something I did a lot of

D