Notices

Struggling

Old 10-20-2019, 04:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome Misspolly!! Hope ur feeling ok. I'm just over 2 weeks sober, so I'm also at the start of my journey! Keep posting!
Old 10-20-2019, 04:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I could not have stayed sober without AA. It is so good to hear you are going to go back. I have a hard time asking for help and then finally admitted I needed help. I know my drinking was just a symptom of my alcoholism. I had to go to meetings regularly, listen to speaker tapes, read daily meditations, read the Big Book, and I finally got a sponsor the last time I went. Finally. Any time I got a sponsor I was able to stay with the program. I have to say this to remind myself too. I can find all kinds of reasons not to go to meetings. I am going to a women's meeting tomorrow evening. I have not had to have a drink for a few 24 hours, but anytime I slack on meetings my thinking reverts back to old ways of thinking and behaviors even without the drink.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misspolly13 View Post
I am going to try AA again. This forum and have a plan in place.
Leave any preconceptions at the front door. With every meeting just take what you like or what you can use and leave the rest until you’re ready to commit and work with a sponsor. Listen closely for people telling your story. Listen for how they comes out of it. Wishing you the very best Polly. Please keep posting.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hello there,

I am so happy that you came here! I have been logging on to SR for the past 6 months and finally have three months sober. I wouldn't have done it without the family here.

Here are some things that worked for me. I started listening to podcasts that help like Recovery Elevator and This Naked Mind among podcasts on mindfulness (Infinite Potential takes me right out of self).
AA also works for me. I wonder, what could you do differently if it didn't work for you last time? Did you get a sponsor, speak up at a meeting and ask for help, Start reading and working steps? It is a magical place and can work if you work it (and all of those cheesy quotes).
Finally, changing habits, that was a MAJOR step for me. I did everything differently. I drank at night on the couch, so I stopped hanging out on the couch for months. I avoided situations, people and places unless I felt comfortable. Changed my eating habits, but allowed myself sugary treats in these last weeks. Changing everything you know can be scary, but try to change your perspective on it; look at it as an exciting new adventure of trying new things. Playing calm classical music, whatever you like, watching funny tv shows and movies and reading things that really bring you pleasure all worked for me.
I know that this is really hard but we owe it to ourselves to give it everything we've got and it seems like you have had enough.

Glad you're here, keep it up!
Old 10-21-2019, 02:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies I’m going to get myself to a meeting ASAP. My sponsor last time, wasn’t very helpful and couldn’t ever come to a meeting with me.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misspolly13 View Post
Thank you all for your replies I’m going to get myself to a meeting ASAP. My sponsor last time, wasn’t very helpful and couldn’t ever come to a meeting with me.
Good morning Misspolly. I hope you are doing well. Regarding your comment about your old sponsor I have some advice. Lower your expectations. I think the best description of sponsorship came from AA speaker Sandy Beach who described sponsorship as the half blind leading the blind. My sponsor is not always available to go to the same meetings as I attend either. But I also rely on all of the other folks there and can have discussions with them too. A sponsor is a very important part of the AA program but they are not a savior. YMMV.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I’m doing ok though. I did have one drink this morning, as the shakes were so bad. But I’ve had nothing since just drinking lucozade. That seems to be helping.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

My therapist and I discussed a plan with my trauma that AA may not be the best fit because of the "powerless" part I started working the SMART plan and I haven't drank for ever 9 years. The most important thing is to have my WHY be strong. If my WHY I want to quit is strong enough my willpower will be enough to ask for help or not pick up a drink for today.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I did find the powerless part a little difficult myself. But I’ve got to try again. I have had a couple tonight, as the anxiety is bad. I haven’t slept for days and I’m too scared to go cold turkey. I have reduced considerably though. It’s a start.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

If the shakes are really debilitating maybe you need to see a Dr instead MissPolly?

You can get into a real cycle of feeling bad... need to drink...feeling bad...need to drink..a Dr might be able to help you break that cycle?

D
Old 10-21-2019, 02:56 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I have seen my GP a few times, but it’s always the same, they just tell you to cut down gradually, don’t stop straight away or you will be ill. I have been successful doing that in the past, but only lasted 3 sober days. But I’m more determined this time.