Notices

I Want to Rant About Oktoberfest.

Old 10-17-2019, 02:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Want to Rant About Oktoberfest.

Has anyone else noticed an uptick of Oktoberfest events in the last few years?

I am not into controlling other people or their choices in life — and I like soft pretzels — but I really have an issue with how drinking a quart of beer out of a boot is marketed as family-friendly fun. Food trucks, face painting and lots of belligerent adults...It’s a little weird; many families we know are going with their kids. A bacchanal somehow made more innocent because: pumpkins.

Okay. Rant over.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to notice things like that a lot when I quit, Pouncer - but it gets easier.

I really couldn't tell you nowadays where the Oktoberfest festivities are in my town. Its off my radar and I couldn't be happier.

Hang in there

D
Old 10-17-2019, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I used to notice more of this stuff too. Like Dee, I couldn’t tell you where. And i could care less. But you might be right or maybe it’s marketed differently. What bothers me the most is probably just that - how it’s marketed and the fact that it’s “family friendly” so kids are welcome and they get to watch their parents get toasted. And how is everyone getting home? Uber? It’s just another way alcohol is made acceptable and even glamorized in society. Just like “mommy juice”. I’m even tempted to not watch Real Housewives anymore. Don’t get me started.

It’s a good rant
Old 10-17-2019, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I lived in Germany including a short spell in Munich and walked through the real Oktoberfest site during the festivities. Despite the fact I was a heavy drinker back then, I didn’t spend a penny or touch a drop there. It’s awful. The beer is only served in one litre glasses, and there is supposedly pressure to order more. Not surprisingly, there were people throwing up. It’s not a family or kid-friendly event at all.

Germany has some great festivals, e.g. the Christmas markets (which have nice food and alcohol isn’t seemingly compulsory), so it’s a shame the worst one of them all, Oktoberfest, is recreated worldwide.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Similar in many respects to St Patrick's Day and (at least here in North America) Cinco De Mayo. Days which have significance to certain communities which have been co-opted as an excuse to get loaded.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I never needed an Octoberfest to get wasted. Every day of the week would do. Only 7% of the world population are alcoholics. The rest drink normally even if they maybe over imbibe on occasion. I think we need to be careful not to project our oversensitivity on others. I know I have to guard against that.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

+1 Callas.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’ve been noticing these types of family events more now since I became a parent. All the second hand smoke, the boozing in front of kids.. I’m sure I’m being sensitive bc I had an abusive childhood but I still don’t want my cherub around that kind of debauchery. No way would I take her to an event celebrating Oktoberfest. I do have friends that do and they tend to hit the bottle hard. I don’t approve but not my monkey and not my circus.

I choose public events where alcohol isn’t served and had to turn down private gatherings where I know people will be smoking. I don’t mind the folks who drink calmly, ya know, the folks who can have one or two beers, but other than that I just don’t want her around it.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Although I think Callas put it perfectly I wanted to chime in with my two cents. I know that when I was still struggling to get sober I would focus on this kind of thing. Looking outward and seeing alcohol, its presence and the way other people enjoyed it or even overdid it was something I made it a priority to pay attention to. The truth is it's got nothing to do with me or us or any of us getting sober. This is an in an internal quest. Looking for society to conform or to make things easier on anything that we do is a Fool's errand. I still appreciate the post though. Hope that you're feeling good in your sobriety.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm a huge fan of sports and when I quit in Nov a couple years ago, I could hardly watch a game without getting a bit angry at all the drinking commercials. With some time talking with guys from the AA meeting I went to and some fine folks here, I realized/learned others drinking is not my business.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Our town has a big Octoberfest, I missed it this year because I was away with my oldest daughter, but my husband took my other two kids. They have lots of great craft booths, rides and music, the beer garden is separated and only 21 and over so it makes it more family friendly.

I am definitely not a fan of lots of drunk people, so tend to avoid those situations, so I can understand wanting to avoid Octoberfest if that is the only thing going on.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My experience is that there’s no point ranting over the pervasiveness of alcohol, even into childrens’ lives, birthday partys and so on. They happen, ever more frequently.

So I’m determined to be a good example: that happy times aren’t delivered or heightened by an alcoholic drink; and sad times aren’t drowned or ameliorated by an alcoholic drink.

All I can do, is be the change I want to see in this world.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
I never needed an Octoberfest to get wasted. Every day of the week would do. Only 7% of the world population are alcoholics. The rest drink normally even if they maybe over imbibe on occasion. I think we need to be careful not to project our oversensitivity on others. I know I have to guard against that.
Agree completely.

This is why I avoid seeing the friends I did have and I never preach to anyone else about their drinking, be they heavy drinkers, alcoholics, or social drinkers. It's not my place to judge them or tell them how to drink just because I'm an alcoholic.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oktoberfest doesn't really bother me. In fact, despite the fact that I'm not drinking this fall, I've been trying to keep an eye out for them. I LOVE German food; my maternal grandmother's family was mostly German, and she made a lot of German food when I was growing up. I find it really difficult to find German restaurants, so I'm really happy Oktoberfests have sorta caught on, even if it's mostly been because of the drinking. Makes it a little easier for me to find German food, even if only seasonally.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
waking down

As a musician, Oktoberfest, Paddy's Day, and a few other party dates tend to mean I get paid well to do something I love (play music), and a lubricated crowd usually means good tips on top of the check (one of the few perks associated with people drinking - other people, of course - I mean, call me crazy, but drunk people tip better - Lol). As long as there's a microphone in front of me I feel relatively insulated from the chaos.

One thing I learned from mindfulness practices is that it became very clear that my problem drinking started with judging reality, not liking what I was experiencing, being critical of self or others. The antidote for me has been to suspend judgement and thus not crave a "better reality" that doesn't exist.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I hadn’t even thought of Oktoberfest, more focused on celebrating Sober October 🍂🍁🎃 I have been on a path to my higher self since August and offers for drinks, bbqs, are avoided. I would like to do something fall like but it will probably be making a pumpkin soup or painting a pumpkin. So many events fail epically now because they are centered around alcohol and many people are probably more into yoga or pets than alcohol.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I don't mind Oktoberfest or any other things that have alcohol. People like to drink and it is great they have something to do. It just isn't a thing for me to do with my problem drinking.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

One of the first things I noticed in sobriety is most people do drink responsibly. I also noticed it was rare that co-workers would show up looking rough. I can recall one person who did often come to work hungover and thinking he's got a long day ahead of him.

I could drink anyway I liked until I reached about the age of 28. Then it would take a good day to recovery. You reach say 40 and still drink hard well... it must be horrible getting up in the morning to work a 9-5 job.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Once you get some solid sober time you cease to really care about these things. Just avoid them if they’re not your thing. Like has been mentioned most people aren’t alcoholics, that’s not to say alcohol still doesn’t do them any favours mind you.