Notices

90 Days Sober - Guilt and Shame

Old 10-15-2019, 07:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

90 Days Sober - Guilt and Shame

Hi guys! I am 90 days sober today after a second DUI in July. I just turned 30. I'm trying to be positive. I cannot change my past. What I can do, is fill my 30s with sobriety.

I have shame and guilt in regards to my drinking. I am grateful that I did not harm anyone when I chose to drink and drive. With the support of my sober friends, I sold my car and have used the proceeds to pay out-of-pocket to see a therapist.

It is nice to "meet" you all. I am struggling to find my sober "tribe." AA is not for me. I do attend Big Book discussions on occasion and have several speaker meetings I enjoy.

I participate in Refuge Recovery meetings. Meditation has changed my life.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 10-15-2019, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

great you’re here, aspiringwriter.
i love your action on the car! wonderful idea to turn th8ngs around for good this way.
welcome to SR!
Old 10-15-2019, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your bold action on the car is FANTASTIC. I believe in you!
Old 10-15-2019, 07:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard aspiringwriter8 - this is a place of great support and encouragement.

D
Old 10-15-2019, 08:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on 90 days aspiringwriter8 & you're spot on about the past: can't be changed, but you can do your best to make the future a hell of a lot more positive & productive. Best wishes
Old 10-16-2019, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Guilt and shame are a breeding ground for relapse once your head has cleared up. It caused me to relapse at 13 months sober - well I was the one that picked up the drink. But guilt and shame were a big part of my reasoning.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aspiringwriter8 View Post

...AA is not for me. I do attend Big Book discussions on occasion and have several speaker meetings I enjoy.

It sounds like you have an overall plan that's working, so....

Who says AA "is for me" or "is not for me?"

I don't see anything wrong with going to some big book discussions and listening in on some speaker meetings. Who says you have to do more than that?

I never heard of Refuge Recovery (I like the sound of "participation" though!) but if that and meditation has had a positive influence on your life and helping you not drink, it can't be bad.

As long as you're hanging out with people who know how to stay away from a drink, you're good to go.

Ninety days is a big deal!
Old 10-16-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey there, Aspiring Writer! Congratulations on 90 days!

It has taken me more than 5 years to (sort of) get over being arrested for being belligerent. (I am embarrassed still). Therapy has helped me accept my mistakes; part of the reason I drink is because I have really harsh standards for myself. Now, I can appreciate that I am human, imperfect and it is okay if I made mistakes in the past -- it's what you do with mistakes. As for the lingering embarrassment, maybe it's a good thing since fear of getting arrested again keeps me sober.

I also struggled to find my sobriety tribe. I am not religious and AA is very difficult for me to get behind since I cannot mentally get past the first step. I have had success with Rational Recovery and SMART, however. There is no one right way to get sober, but it is very, very difficult to do it alone.

Participating in the variety of Newcomer's Daily Support threads is something new I am doing that makes me feel less isolated. I am in the September class and I also visit the 24-hour Connections and the Morning Gratitude threads. There is also a busy sober "weekenders" recurring post that offers daily support.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-459-a.html (24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 459)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...part-92-a.html (Morning Gratitude ~ Part 92)
Old 10-16-2019, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

90 days is fantastic, uve taken some great positive steps. I cant offer any advice as I'm 11days in so clearly no expert!! I will just say, stay here, post & read as often as possible!!
Old 10-16-2019, 09:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loulou1981 View Post
90 days is fantastic, uve taken some great positive steps. I cant offer any advice as I'm 11days in so clearly no expert!! I will just say, stay here, post & read as often as possible!!
Congrats on 11 days, Loulou!
Old 10-16-2019, 10:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Originally Posted by aspiringwriter8 View Post
Hi guys! I am 90 days sober today after a second DUI in July. I just turned 30. I'm trying to be positive. I cannot change my past. What I can do, is fill my 30s with sobriety.

It is nice to "meet" you all. I am struggling to find my sober "tribe." AA is not for me. I do attend Big Book discussions on occasion and have several speaker meetings I enjoy.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Congrats on 90 days! I just hit 60 myself. I hear you on AA and I’m lucky to live in a city with several Refuge Recovery meetings a week. I also have a daily meditation practice. I will say I have found some AA meetings that also incorporate meditation, and I enjoy them. Do you have SMART recovery where you are? That could also be an option.

Before I lived here I was in a smaller city with no AA alternative. A group of us started our own Buddhist based recovery meeting. We used Kevin Griffins book One Breath at a Time as our “big book”. Maybe you can find some like minded folks with good sobriety to do something similar?
Old 10-17-2019, 12:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The best advice I was ever given to shore up my sobriety was to practice gratitude every day. It was hard at first, but I did it anyway and now it's a habit to be grateful every day for my blessings.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0

The guilt and shame will fade as you get more sober time.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on 90 days!

I got sober in my 30s too and had to re-build my social life to stay sober.

Turns out most people are non alcoholics and like to go do lots of interesting things instead of sitting around drinking!

I recommend reconnecting with your hobbies and passions - sign up for classes/join clubs/volunteer - and you’ll start to meet people whose company you enjoy with similar interests.

First year for me was mostly figuring out how to navigate life sober:
Old 10-17-2019, 01:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Also adding that I gave myself permission to do a second ‘90 days’ to focus on healing from the damage drinking caused - emotionally, physically, etc.

During this time I was gentle with myself and didn’t push myself. I suffered from a fair amount of brain fog that frustratingly got worse during this period too.

90 days gave me just enough clarity to see the damage that I had really done, but I needed more healing time before I could jump in to make headway on a positive path, if that makes sense. Shame/Guilt came with that clarity.

It’s worth it tho! Good luck