# 1 (permalink)  

Stark raving sober!

Meetings? Check.
Praying? Check.
Reaching out for support? Check.
Sober? Check.
Exercising? Check.
Medicated? Check.

Totally bat-sh1t crazy? Totally discontented? Stark raving sober? Isolated from the world, feeling unwanted and disconnected? Check.

I mean seriously man, I feel like I’m in a danger zone. Any time I have ANY free time I go nuts. Like the neediest little baby.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Most of that is positive. Can you meet with a friend for dinner, extra meetings, FaceTime with your kids... . The sober part is key to all the other things.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gypsytears View Post
Most of that is positive. Can you meet with a friend for dinner, extra meetings, FaceTime with your kids... . The sober part is key to all the other things.
FT with the kids? Check, lol. In fact I was absolutely out of my head tonight until my son, then both of my daughters FT’d me (Thank you God).
Old 10-14-2019, 10:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nez

I mean seriously man, I feel like I’m in a danger zone. Any time I have ANY free time I go nuts. Like the neediest little baby.
Be the parent to that needy little baby, like you are to your kids. I have read your posts where you talk about your kids and the love you have for them is obvious. Show that same love to yourself. We all need that love. Don't hold it back from yourself. It will be payed back tenfold to you and your loved ones.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are right Nez, my kids mean the world. Not quite sure how to love myself like I love them. For now I’m just not poisoning myself.

Also, I noticed you ride (or ride) a motorcycle. I ride too. It’s a nice escape.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nez

Not quite sure how to love myself like I love them.
Treat yourself the way you treat them. Pay attention to yourself. Listen to yourself. Do fun things with yourself. Empathize with yourself and pass along to yourself the valuable life lessons you have learned thus far. Give yourself breathing room but hold yourself responsible for your actions. Let yourself know that so called failures are not failures at all, but rather opportunities for learning and the only real mistakes you will make are the ones you don't learn from. Most importantly of all let yourself know, that no matter what, even though there may be times you don't like your behavior, you will never stop loving yourself.

Yeah I do love to ride. Even though I have been riding for years, everyday when I finish a ride, I am still like that 12 year old kid that just got his first ride on a motorcycle. The thrill is alive and well.

Because I live in the boonies, every job I take involves a commute and the question always comes up in the interview process about how will I handle the commute. My answer is that I don't look at it as commute, but rather a chance to partake of my favorite hobby in the world, riding my motorcycle and if I get the job I get to do it twice a day!

Riding is also a great chance for me to practice mindfulness meditation.

How about you? Do you get to ride much and what is a typical ride?
Old 10-15-2019, 01:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thats awesome that you making the moves to better yourself. Like they say do the right thing the rest will follow. Unfortunately for me the riding a motorcycle thing. Which I never learned how. Heck I done scratched out even driving a vehicle. I am banned for life to ever drive again. No thanks to my ex......booze. But guess what ? I am still a happy camper. Why? Cause I have been blessed with this thing called sobriety. . The collateral damage is intense. But you know you live and learn. I did the hard way. . but you what I still humble myself. I am still able to get around. Work etc. . how do I do it? One day at a time. ✌
Old 10-15-2019, 03:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great work with your self care. Your doing a lot of the things to keep you on the right track. Honestly, it takes some time for the new routine and lifestyle to feel comfortable and satisfying. But it does happen, it may sound cliche, but I wouldnt give up the way Iife is now, for when I was out there, for anything. Still have disapointments and have to work hard, but that obession and madness is gone, as long as I work my program. Keep it up!
Old 10-15-2019, 11:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
not a greeter

How are you feeling today BeABetterMan ?
Old 10-15-2019, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
You are right Nez, my kids mean the world. Not quite sure how to love myself like I love them. For now I’m just not poisoning myself.
I think it's often really hard for us alcoholics to begin to love ourselves. But, it's also essential for recovery. Maybe you could start by doing something nice for yourself today.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am embarrassed to say I’m a little worse. But if I zoom out, life isn’t so bad. Again, I’m just such a needy, whiny little alcoholic. That being said, if you want to drive a person insane, put them in solitary confinement. And I feel like that. Work is unfulfilling and home is isolated. At least my work has found me some challenging stuff to do. I tried to go to a different department and they fought to keep me which was a nice surprise. Still, I’d rather be sweeping up the streets if it paid the same.

Good news is my kids are here this weekend and we have some fun stuff planned.

Probably the biggest news though is that I’m considering getting a new sponsor. My sponsor has withdrawn big time since he had a little mental hiccup. He is always telling me that he’s “ not a life coach” which is true but we used to have normal adult conversations about all things life and now he’s just...detached. There are a couple of good options at my AA meeting, it just stinks because I loved my sponsor and he was so good for me. But lately it’s been diminishing returns
Old 10-15-2019, 12:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Changing sponsors literally saved my life. I hope you do that. From what I understand, sponsors are to take us through the Book the way they were taken through the Book. It worked for me, and I've been sober for 22 years. Good luck to you.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
not a greeter

You might be feeling worse but your report sounds pretty positive actually. Kids visit is sure to raise your spirits and work, doesn’t seem so bad. As for switching sponsors I have no experience but change is apparent and time will tell how that turns out. Regarding your old sponsor, is there any reason you can’t remain friends since you value the relationship? I’m glad you checked in .
Old 10-15-2019, 01:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

GT, always love hearing from you.

Yes, I hope to remain friends with him. I haven’t made any decisions yet. We talked last night and when I brought it up he basically accused me of drinking which I haven’t been which was weird for him too. He had a little bit of a breakdown a month or two ago. Had to quit his job and go to the hospital a few times. He’s never returned to that thoughtful, patient, wise teacher that I first met over a year ago. It’s a big loss. As with all things in my life I have to look for my part in it. I didn’t call him for several days (because it was leaving me feeling worse). And that might have made him question my dedication?? I don’t know. I can’t overthink it too much. I’ll make a mess.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Overthinking causes many a downfall. Myself included . I won’t presume to dissect the sponsor/sponsee relationship but I do know we’re all responsible for our own actions or reactions. Sobriety isn’t a guaranteed cure to what’s bothering us but it’s sure as hell moving in the right direction.

Just move forward from where you are. K.I.S.S. and all that jazz. Someone else will probably happen along with real advice. Until then, post away. I appreciate your posts.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Huge over thinker myself! When I was in early sobriety an old man who drives a city bus(that job would suck!) at AA told me to "kiss"(keep it simple stupid).
Old 10-15-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For what it's worth, here's what I'm hearing.

You fall apart internally when you are alone without any external distraction, support, stimulation, direction, feed, whatever you want to call it. You feel disorganized internally and frenzied.

We, especially men, are taught to be self-sufficient, and much admired if we are. We're looked down on with contempt as if we were little babies if we aren't self-sufficient.

Falling apart just because you are alone is a huge self-disappointment and, really, unacceptable to others no matter what they pretend.

It's all very destructive to self esteem.

(I could be way off base on this, it's just my impression; you can tell me to get lost if you like...won't be the first time I heard that!)
Old 10-15-2019, 02:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You’re right Rocky. But I don’t “fall apart” in the traditional sense I just crawl inside of my own skin. I feel like I’m missing out on making important connections with other human beings. My mind likes to be stimulated.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post

Totally bat-sh1t crazy? Totally discontented? Stark raving sober? Isolated from the world, feeling unwanted and disconnected? Check.

ya might want to add read the bb and work the steps to:

Meetings? Check.
Praying? Check.
Reaching out for support? Check.
Sober? Check.
Exercising? Check.
Medicated? Check

ive seen it help many people go from stark raving sober to peaceful,serene, content
Old 10-15-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I agree with tomsteve. I suggest getting a new sponsor and start working those steps.!

Also, get out of self. It really helps to be of service to other people. If I am helping someone else then it takes me out of thinking about me.