Notices

Denial

Old 10-14-2019, 06:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Natom View Post
Welcome,

The first paragraph of your post really reminded me of myself. I'd be sitting there at 5am, having not slept for 30 plus hours, trying to figure out if the flecks on the carpet were cocaine or dust. And I'd think to myself 'I have a problem'.

But, after a couple of hours sleep and something to eat I'd think I was fine again. Even though less than 12 hours earlier I was trying to snort random flecks of dust out of my carpet.

You don't have to be sleeping on a bench and begging for money to hit your rock bottom. Everyone has their own moment when they realise they have to change.

Natom.
I have to admit that I felt silly writing my post because I know that so many other people have been in worse situations. I'm glad you all are so welcoming 🙌
Old 10-14-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by XOnedayatatimex View Post
I have to admit that I felt silly writing my post because I know that so many other people have been in worse situations. I'm glad you all are so welcoming 🙌
Better to feel silly posting now because so many others are in worse situations than to keep going down the dark path of addiction and actually becoming one of those worse situations yourself.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

One thing I was told early in my AA days is to look for similarities instead of differences. So sometimes we do think "oh my gosh, that person is so much worse off than me!" or other things- but if we instead find even one thing that we relate to, that's how we start to get well.

I was a life and death case with my own insane story to share....my husband was one who drank alcoholically and probably could have continued to do so and live a pretty good life to a reasonable age. The key thing we had in common was that we had unmanageable lives - and we didn't (couldn't) stop drinking once we started.

AA sounds like a perfect idea for you - it was my last resort, and it saved my life. Whether it does that for you or not, you sound like you might be in a place to learn a lot, and get a start to sobriety. The biggest thing that every one of us has in common is that life sober is much better than whatever our lives were each like drinking.