SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Long time lurker now taking the first step here (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/442652-long-time-lurker-now-taking-first-step-here.html)

CFG76 10-13-2019 10:25 AM

Long time lurker now taking the first step here

Wow where do I start?

Typing here on my phone as my family are nearby.

I have been lurking on this site for over 2 years and finally have taken the courage to register.

Have tried countless tines to quit. Always end up doing secret binging then 3 days of recovery and then I stop for few days as basically I can't function. Once I recover, usually day 4 of nothing then jump back on the booze.

Have been drinking heavily for 20 years. All started normally nice dinners, parties etc...

So much to share just not ready yet.....
I need help

Ghostlight1 10-13-2019 10:44 AM

Glad you decided to post.
Your drinking is exactly like mine was until things got really bad and I was drinking most every day.
Alcoholism is a chronic, progressive, relapsing disease. You're in a bad spot, but believe me it gets worse. My advice would be to quit now, whatever it takes while you can and are still semi-functional.

You've been lurking, so I guess you've read a lot. I hope you've read a lot.
It took me a long time to finally quit drinking. But I drank for thirty odd years. All alcoholically.
Please stop now and save yourself the misery I went through. Do whatever it takes. Go to any length. It is so worth it, because, if you're anything like me, what lies ahead for you is not pretty.

Welcome to posting and best to you.

least 10-13-2019 11:33 AM

Welcome to the family. :grouphug: You'll find lots of support and good ideas here. I hope we can help you get sober for good. :)

Pouncer 10-13-2019 12:11 PM

Welcome, CFG!

Anna 10-13-2019 12:42 PM

Welcome CFG, I think alcoholism always progresses until we decide to stop completely. I'm glad you found us.

Hevyn 10-13-2019 12:45 PM

It's great to have you join us, CFG. We all understand just how you feel.

I drank 30 yrs. & spent a good portion of my life trying to be a social drinker. When I found SR I finally acknowledged that there could never be any control. I had to get free of it & begin to heal. You can do it - we are all with you.

Rose335 10-13-2019 01:00 PM

Welcome CFG. I was a long time lurker too and In fact I only signed up about 4 months ago. I'm of an age and I have been a heavy drinker for many many years. Signing up and posting here has, well, totally transformed all that. I haven't had a drink since I joined SR. Trust me on this: if I can do that so can you. Lots of luck and I hope to see you posting again soon.

awuh1 10-13-2019 02:02 PM

Doing something different is the first step in recovery. It shows you are acknowledging a problem. Learn a lesson from each mistake as you go forward. Your life can't help but improve.

wiscsober 10-13-2019 02:08 PM

Welcome, CFG!

Fusion 10-13-2019 02:09 PM

Welcome to the posting side, I’m glad you did, CFG76. I can attest to drinking being progressive, from social drinks, fine wine whilst dining, a coupe of drinks after a stressful day, occasionally.....to every evening, to every evening, to daytime, to eventually....well you can imagine.

But it doesn’t need to become that bad, you can step off that downwards elevator anytime you wish, and SR is a fantastic resource to utilise to do so!

Dee74 10-13-2019 03:22 PM

I'm glad you decide to post CFG :)

My life got better when I become part of this community . It was a revelation to be around people who understood -and to be around people who had my problem but who were happy and sober :)

SR helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you too CFG :)

Welcome!
D

Hawkeye13 10-13-2019 04:41 PM

Welcome!

Lucinda2 10-13-2019 05:09 PM

Welcome CFG.

I am glad you moved from being a lurker to a poster.

I hear you about there being so much to share but not ready yet. Sometimes just welcoming someone new and identifying with them helps me with that a little.

Being a poster (rather than a lurker) got me through a holiday sober recently. Members of this forum held my hand when I needed it and I am so thankful to them.

It seems to me that when folk ask for help around here it comes. :)

SoberRican 10-14-2019 01:23 AM

Welcome to the sober club my friend. Great that you are posting . never know what you might learn or share could save your life or someone elses life. One day at a time. ✌

Mags1 10-14-2019 01:27 AM

Hi CFG and welcome :wavey:

PhoenixJ 10-14-2019 01:30 AM

WELCOME CFG...keep posting.

saoutchik 10-14-2019 03:41 PM

Welcome to SR! You'll find lots of support and insight here, like I did.

CFG76 11-03-2019 05:50 AM

Thanks for the welcome and support. Last weeks have again been a rollercoaster of trying and then failing.

Last drink has been Thursday. Have managed to push back against my AV but have been quite irritable with those around me.

Concentration is completely gone. Last night had the most horrible nightmares.

I need these demons to leave me!

Reckoningday 11-03-2019 05:54 AM

I was a long time lurker myself, I made my account the other day. Sober recovery is an awesome tool, let's use it! Welcome!

silentrun 11-03-2019 05:56 AM

Welcome to both of you.