Notices

That Was Dumb

Old 10-09-2019, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

That Was Dumb

I've got a long story, but I'm not sure there's a point in telling it. Went to Las Vegas. Four-day bender ended with me waking up in the emergency room with people calling me John Doe because my wallet and phone are missing.

Detoxing on the plane ride home was about as miserable a feeling as I think I can ever endure. I seriously thought I was going to have to tell the flight attendant I needed medical assistance. I probably should have.

I got away from doing the things that make me stronger than my AV. Getting back to them starting today.

Day two of my best life. Thanks for being here.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That sounds horrible. Sympathy and best wishes for recovery.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry that you went through that. It sounds awful.

I'm glad you're back here and safe, Nonsensical.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Man, that does sound horrible. I hope you learn from it.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I've got a long story, but I'm not sure there's a point in telling it.
If you think you'd gain anything from telling it, I hope you share. But I understand you not doing that.

When I relapsed on drugs, what...five years ago?...I didn't go into detail because everything I wrote read like I was excusing or justifying the relapse. It came down to me wanting to get high, and I did.

You apparently wanted to get drunk.

And you did.

Glad you made it back.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

I have to stick with the idea that I am always stronger than my AV , any doubt in that is AV .

There is nothing I need to do to maintain that position , other than changing my mind.

That said, my AV didn't even try to minimize the painful empathy I felt reading about waking up in the ER and the hellacious plane ride, but it did say " yeah but You know the first two days were probably awesome".

you know you got this, rootin for ya
Old 10-09-2019, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sorry for the misery, Nons. Further proof that it does nothing but bring misery & chaos into our lives. Never going to be worth it. Heal and grow stronger.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i am curious....when planning this trip to Vegas, was there the intention to drink at will?
Old 10-09-2019, 01:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I'm so sorry, Nonsensical. That must've been beyond horrible for you.

I don't know why I'm shocked by your report, but I am. Like others I admire around here, I thought you "had it." Glad you made it out of that mess, man.

If you think that you or anyone here will gain from telling the story, please do. I've been thinking hard about how to best prevent the "relapse before the relapse," and best as I can figure, it seems to depend on recognizing and dismissing the Addictive Voice. Every time. Even when it whispers. What are the things you'll be getting back to?

xo
O
Old 10-09-2019, 01:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Ah, really sorry to be reading this Nons but i'm glad you're back and posting. I know things have been going reasonably well at least from a work/business point of view so maybe there was an element of curiosity there. I mention that as a Brit who has always wanted to visit Vegas (I have no interest in gambling) but who is also reluctant to because of the booze vibe that accompanies it. (ditto New Orleans btw)

I'm really pleased it wasn't an extended period. Good luck Nons
Old 10-09-2019, 01:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If the approach you’re taking doesn’t work e.g. being stronger than your AV then maybe try a different recovery method/approach or add some more tools to your current one.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, I am really glad you are here to post. But Imma also be tough on this one: dumb? There are a lot of other words I had to admit to besides that to finally quit.

Day 2 so what are you doing today to make this your last chance? Obvious analogy coming but the house always wins on this situation if we keep playing.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Damn Non, this one was surprising and disappointing to read. Your wisdom and input was very valuable to me in my path to sobriety. I'm sorry to hear you picked up.

How long had it been for you?

What's the plan?
Old 10-09-2019, 03:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I’m sorry non. I hope you learn from it. Staying sober to me is like staying physically fit. If I stop exercising,I will lose my muscle tone and this body I’ve worked so hard for. If I stop exercising my sobriety every day, I bet I will eventually drink again.

I am glad you posted because hopefully this will help you be accountable and also prevent another person here from relapsing knowing how awful this experience has been.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Non, that sounds terrible. Vegas is a dangerous place and I'm glad you are okay now.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Detoxing on a plane? Been there. The. Worst. The worst. It was a 9 hour flight and the most turbulent ride ever over the Pacific from the Marshall Islands. This after I almost got left on the island because I got so drunk the night before and went to another island without a ride back secured. Isn’t it fun, drinking?
Old 10-09-2019, 03:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dang. I'm just glad you made it back Nons.
Take care of yourself man.

D
Old 10-09-2019, 03:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I believe in you. I’ve read many of your previous posts. Don’t let this blip catch fire and spread. It’s day two. GREAT work. GREAT, GREAT work. Day 1 there are more flames than day 2, but you still need to be vigilant that this fire is out. Keep working, and fighting, and posting, and reading, and exercising, and breathing. Before you know it, it’ll be like this disaster didn’t happen and you’ll be all rebuilt. You’ve done it before so you know what you need to do and can do it again. We’re all here believing in you and cheering you on. This doesn’t have to be the end of the world. You’ll rebuild bigger and better than ever.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I've always loved reading your posts. You're insightful, you write well, and you've helped a lot of people here. I'm so glad you're safe. I know you did some damage, but you're not dead or in jail so there's that. I will agree with you that it was dumb, but the beast's ideas are always dumb. You know what happened and you know what to do moving forward.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Whoa, Nons, phew, had not expected that.
i wonder if you did, as you got closer to the trip?
no need to answer, of course.

glad you came back and are ready to go for it again.