Notices

One Day At A Time- Weekenders 11 - 14 October 2019

Old 10-12-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Checking in!

General question: How long after quitting until your cravings/compulsion backed off?
Old 10-12-2019, 02:45 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I am sorry to be an absolute bummer here, but it’s a story that needed telling and I’m most comfortable on the Weekender. I am having a rough day, but so grateful for my sobriety. Much more so than usual. Really wanted a cigarette several times today though. He and I enjoyed smoking together. But you know what? I know he’d be proud that I finally did quit. So I stayed strong today, for myself, and for him. There was a moment there when I almost went and got a pack. Safe at home now, not leaving the house for anything on this cold, blustery, snowy evening.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:25 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You're not being a bummer Marty, posting about your friend reminds us that what we are struggling with is not some abstract future inconvenience like a rise in interest rates or antibiotic resistance but a very real and very deadly threat to us. You need to tell it and we need to read it.

Originally Posted by Patcha View Post
Checking in!

General question: How long after quitting until your cravings/compulsion backed off?
This time it was middle of month two, on a previous (failed) attempt long before I joined SR I was still craving after 49 days but that was on willpower alone, no recovery plan.

I have spent all of today indoors and a fair bit of it in bed. Colds at the weekend should be illegal. It's nearly 1.30am and I cannot sleep. No Strictly for me, I watched a double bill of Spiral instead
Old 10-12-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Oh go on then...
https://youtu.be/zQCj0fNCqJI

Old 10-12-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Administrator

It wasn't a bummer MLD - sometimes we need to be serious here.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:04 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Patcha View Post
Checking in!

It varies for everyone. For me it was fairly quickly, within a few weeks (but then again, my memory doesn't serve me very well). But, there were still those out-of-the-blue A/V attacks. They get further and further apart and become easier to brush off as time passes. I still get them at almost three years but it's really just an annoyance. As we've learned today, going back is just not an option.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:09 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
Running 10K when fully fit in the pouring rain at night, park to oneself, music blaring. Now THAT'S a high.

Sorry just had to share this moment somewhere. I AM BUZZING. Will catch up later
Thanks for posting this Tetrax, you reminded me of one of my most favorite runs from many years ago. It was a 10k out and back, as I turned back, the skies open up and drenched everything. It was a most exhilarating feeling, like I could just go on forever! it poured all the way back.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:15 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Exhausted from all the shoveling accomplished today. As my days go on, I very often think of you guys as if i'm posting things as they are happening.
Like this:

Ready for a drive!
Old 10-12-2019, 06:52 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Wow snow already ?? I can’t imagine it
I’m doing the Saturday night Netflix after a day of cleaning and errands. My sister was talking to me on the phone earlier and she was ordering a beer. For a split second I felt jealous but now I’m happy to be cozy at home with no gross beer
Old 10-12-2019, 07:04 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
gross beer
I like to think of my preferred beverage as flavoured ethanol, and if you add some thickener, it might as well be hand sanitizer and the thought grosses me out.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:34 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Magsie

Marty, you wasn’t a bummer at all. I’m glad you shared the tragic news of your friend with us. So sad that your friend picked up after 16 years sober, its a strong reminder of what we’re dealing with.

I look at my addiction as I would a naughty child. To give in to that child would be the thin end of the wedge or tip of the iceberg. Yes I would get respite for a while until the next time, which the child would be louder and stronger gathering momentum with each and every time I gave in. It would be more difficult to say no each time the child made their demands until it was the child ruling me.

So I have rules, a set of sober tools. The child knows it’s place. It may be waiting for a ch*nk in my armour to do its deed, and I keep my tools sharpened and available, in the knowledge that they will serve me when most needed.

I know if I didn’t have these sober tools I would very likely pick up. Not now, maybe not next week, but down the road somewhere. When I hit a bump in the road and perhaps it may seem too insurmountable to get through. I wouldn’t want to but my addiction is crafty, it would convince me that’s all I have left.

So ever vigilant, grateful in the knowledge that today I’m sober.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:38 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I feel a bit under the weather. Partly too much junk food and partly I think I'm just a bit sick. Urgh. Day 6 is nearly put to bed.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:41 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hope you’re felling better soon Patcha
Old 10-13-2019, 02:41 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning weekenders.
It's a beautiful Sunday morning.
Shortly heading out for some lunch.
It's good you checked in Kaily. Hope the morale comes back to you.

Later weekenders
Old 10-13-2019, 02:51 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Morning weekenders, a late check in this week but I've been lurking... Good to see the regulars and newcomers.

Thanks Mags for the thread. Even nine and a half months in I'm finding ODAAT is still useful as my fallback strategy. When I'm confused, apprehensive, uncertain or just plain tired, as long as I get through the day sober I'll be OK.

Sorry MLD for your friend - thank you for sharing. I had an old friend die suddenly just a few weeks ago (aged 42) and still don't know the full details. I'm not sure if it was substance related but it certainly was a shock.

I'm doing some woodworking today so I'm off to the hardware store to buy some new tools. A year ago I would have been drinking by now... Gratitude, gratitude, gratitude...

Warm wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:20 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Patcha i have been watching INTERVENTION on foxtel in Australia on the CI channel.
Thanks for the youtube idea !!!! I didnt even think of that :-)

Xx
Old 10-13-2019, 03:41 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Not a bummer Marty. Sobering - and wholly appropriate for these forums.

Checking in for Sober Sunday.

We had unusually warm weather yesterday. Our son is in town and he had some friends over. They do the strangest thing - they sit around on the patio and have a few beers. Like just 2 or 3 each. When they went to bed there was still beer left. My brain cannot process that.

No worries here. Caught a wiff every now and again and the smell of it was repellent. Not that I delude myself that my AV is dead. Not after the recent damage I let him do. I know he's lurking, but he's not getting back in. He is the God of Death. And what do we say to the God of Death?

Not today!
Old 10-13-2019, 06:11 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
...When they went to bed there was still beer left. My brain cannot process that. ...
I know right! I could not fathom why people would drink'light' beer. For me it was all about the alcohol content.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Forwards View Post
...I'm doing some woodworking today so I'm off to the hardware store to buy some new tools...
Woodworking eh? What are you building and what are you buying?
Old 10-13-2019, 06:24 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
saoutchik

My daughters are the same Nons, they have more sense than their old man and can take or leave booze.

I was going to begin soundproofing the floor of my flat (apartment) this weekend but have been struck down the lurgy. The only time I left home was for about 15 minutes to buy some cold remedy. I've had better weekends