Notices

One Day At A Time- Weekenders 11 - 14 October 2019

Old 10-11-2019, 10:35 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

Mags that was a really nice introduction to this Weekenders.

Im definitely IN.

i was feeling all good with the one day at at time until i went to Mums 80th and my brothers were all drinking. It usually dosnt bother me. But i was frustrated that my children couldnt even turn up for their Nanna & the fact it was a warm day.

I stuck to lemon lime and bitters and was fine. Got home and the relief of being sober was exhilarating.

I never want to feel the remnants of a revoltingly putrid hangover ever again in my life.

I really love this group and all the support here. Im looking at one year sober in November, i cant remember the date but i can remember the hangover & the hospital admission....yuk.

I hope all those struggling find peace and know we are only a chat away.
Post here first if you feel like picking up and we can help you through it.

Much love to all of you from little ole me....... & PJ in Adelaide , South Australia xx
Old 10-11-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags for a fabulous post & Hi everyone!

Im in!! Day 50 for me & planning a relaxing Weekend as suffering with a killer sore throat grr!!

wishing you all a happy sober Weekend xx
Old 10-11-2019, 01:30 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Wait, I'm in!

Son and (one day we hope daughter-in-law) GF visiting from Colorado this weekend. Lots to do! Keeping very busy. Just wanted to check in!

Keep it Sober!
Old 10-11-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hey Non--glad to see you here. Sounds like you approve of GF--that's really nice since it sounds like she will be joining the family if he's bringing her out of state to see you all.

Rainbow, have you tried gargling with warm salt water? It really helps and reduces pain quite a bit. It's my go-to for sore throat.

Snoozy, I always get a bit triggered by family stuff. I think it must be genetic
Old 10-11-2019, 03:09 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I am in for another 24 hours of sobriety.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:24 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi Mags - you've started a really interesting thread here and I've really enjoyed reading what everyone has said so far. No words of wisdom from me but I'm totally addicted to ODAAT! It's a mantra I repeat in my head often and I intend to keep on doing so because it's got me past 100 days of sobriety. Or rather that and SR have got me past 100 days. So glad it's the weekend.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:00 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

ODAAT- just goes to show, recovery is not just about booze- it is about everything I do.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand feeling bad vman but as I've often shared it took me 15 years to stop.

I stubbornly thought I could learn to control my drinking. I thought of it as a willpower and control issue when it's not really - it's an acceptance/surrender/ facing facts thing.

'Self,' I said...'Drinking is one activity you do not do very well' - in fact you do it spectacularly badly. Its time to cut your losses and focus on the hundreds of things you do do well, and the thousands of things you have good in your life'.

D
Old 10-11-2019, 07:32 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Evening! In bed, preparing for a good long snooze. Got stuck in my own driveway trying to go for a flu shot and grocery shopping, so an hour of shoveling heavy wet slush first. Got my shot, got my food. Hunkering down for the weekend. Weather is so bad we canceled the (Canadian) thanks giving dinner we were going to host for family.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:56 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Magsie

We’re much more than our drinking was. I hid behind drink, gave me a false confidence.

Each of our journey is special to us, no one can make us take that first step and all the other steps after it. But we’ll be here, supporting and pointing out the ‘bumps in the road’, the pitfalls.

I realised I couldn’t do it alone, after many failed attempts, and it wasn’t a walk in the park, to begin with. But it’s doable, very much so...if you want sobriety you can do it, one day at a time.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:50 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Day 5. Not feeling very good. Withdrawal, I guess. On the sofa watching tv and guzzling water.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:52 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I found out a couple of hours ago that a friend, a man I grew up with had a mad crush on in high school, and much later in life found again and fell in love with for a time, took his own life on Wednesday. We dated while both drinking. We dated again after we both got sober (his second time in recovery). I stayed sober. He didn’t. I tried to help after we broke up (he was still sober when we broke up but not for long). The past 3 years I had intermittent contact with him but I knew he was in very bad shape. He wouldn’t let me in. Wouldn’t let anyone in. He let his demons get the best of him in the end. Homeless, jobless, sick and hopeless. No one should die like that. My heart is broken.

I ask this of the warriors I know in recovery. Lift each other up. Take care of each other. REACH OUT if you are hurting or struggling. Don’t ever feel that you are not worthy of help, like my friend. He died thinking he was beyond help and hope. He wasn’t. No one is. 😢
Old 10-11-2019, 09:27 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear that MLD. Sad for you on a personal level; sad for all of us in the tragedy of it.

Alcohol has taken me some pretty dark places. Maybe I’d have gone there anyway - I’ve been drinking all my adult life so it’s hard to distinguish - but somehow I don’t think so. It’s impossible to rationalise why something that made me so miserable was so attractive. A&E; suicidal thoughts; months on end of scraping myself off the floor daily.

I am sorry for your bad news. Thanks for sharing it
Old 10-11-2019, 09:30 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

It’s 5.28am on a rainy Saturday morning. I’m going downstairs to look out the window and watch the rain coming down past lamp posts and falling in puddles. For no other reason than I feel like it! Then a cup of tea and probably watch some appalling repeats on tv before my kids wake up.

Happy
Old 10-11-2019, 10:01 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Howdy everyone. I have not been on for a couple weeks. Been super busy with work and farm. Closing in on two months clean and sober. Feels great. Hope everyone else is doing well. I will catch up with people when things start to slow down. Heading to Victoria to see our daughter this weekend. Will be great to see her.

tkr everyone. Remember to do something fun over the long weekend.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:34 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry Marty but thanks for that post - it really resonates.

D
Old 10-11-2019, 10:51 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That is awful news Marty, alcohol takes over people's lives and it kills them. I would repeat what you said, if you are struggling, reach out.

Keep going Patcha, this will most likely pass soon. Your body is adapting to not being poisoned.

Like RainbowAlien I am suffering with a sore throat. I sound like a Dalek when I speak. Urh!
Old 10-11-2019, 10:52 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Magsie

MLD so sorry .
Old 10-12-2019, 01:17 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Mr

Sorry to hear that Marty.

Nice to see you Trojanhorse and good news about 2 months.

Hello to all the weekenders.

Time for some coffee.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:50 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

That made me think this morning MLD.
Sad story and I realise I was in the same swirling downfall at the end.
I was lucky to be forced to get sober by a pneumonia and 10 days at the hospital.
It was the winning ticket for me and I have gratitude today.
Thanks for your post even if I feel sorry for your loss.

Hang on Patcha, one minute at a time if one day is too much ahead.

Take care Weekenders