Notices

Alcohol makes me dumb and forgetful

Old 10-09-2019, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol makes me dumb and forgetful

I’m not just talking about the blackouts or hangovers that make the normal person forgetful. Alcohol has truly made me dumb. I’ve been failing at work because I can’t remember things, I’m moody, and I’ve gained a ton of weight. I’ve periodically tried to stop drinking and it works for a bit. Now I’ve noticed it’s finally taking control. Has anybody else noticed that alcohol makes you dumb? I’ll have have drank the night before and not be necessarily hung over but my performance is terrible.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My performance at work was inversely related to my alcohol consumption. The more I drank, the less I did at work. I wasn't drinking during the day but I was always miserable and sleep deprived. Alcohol disrupts sleep so being a daily drinker meant I never got the restful sleep a person needs to function properly at work. I would say that I was performing at 60 percent of what I could do if I didn't get drunk every night. I was certainly a dumbed down version of myself.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Booze fries that brain. It alters chemical pathways.

It is a neurotoxin. The only reason I kept drinking was because I was uneducated about booze and very addicted.

The major physical addiction went away pretty quick. The mental is for life.

i will be an addict for the rest of my life. I would rather think i was an addict and be wrong than think i could start drinking again safely and be wrong.

i haven't been very sick since I quit drinking. my wife had 2 drinks a couple of days ago and immediately got sick. I have told her booze saps the immune system.

She drinks about 3 times a year. This is enough to sap the immune system and cause the basic addiction.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking made me dumber than hell. And depressed as hell.

Now that I'm sober every day I no longer feel like crap, mentally and physically. I love waking up sober!
Old 10-09-2019, 08:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found it took a little bit of sober time for me to get all my faculties back - but I did

the sooner you quit the sooner you can look forward to that happening takeaction

D
Old 10-09-2019, 10:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah alcohol will take everything from an alcoholic including their mind.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes during my boozing days I was not not running on all cylinders. Now that I gave myself a tune up. 159 days of sobriety. I'm all good. ✌
Old 10-10-2019, 06:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcohol really destroyed my brain's ability to retain information. I'd frequently forget things at work and I'd frequently forget things I studied at home. I'd watch films and series and forget most of what happened in them only weeks later.

Since I gave up alcohol I've been able to retain more information. For art/illustration reasons I've recently made a point of studying human anatomy for at least three hours a day and find I can now remember multiple complex muscle names a day. 14 months ago it would take me days to learn one name, which would be completely forgotten days later.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Alcohol makes me dumb and forgetful"

That would be correct! Watcha ya gonna do about it?
Old 10-10-2019, 07:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Definitely made me dumb. Mostly financially stupid. Nothing like washing down two bottles of wine with some internet shopping. Work definitely suffered as well. Who can function with a raging hangover every day?
Old 10-10-2019, 08:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Definitely noticed that too. Other people apparently noticed it too, my sister said to her new husband once “Yeah, she seems dumb but she’s actually really smart”. Ouch. Definitely more forgetful, have read books that I clearly didn’t fully absorb because I could reread them and not remember parts or try to explain it to someone and draw a blank. Today is only day 5 for me but I can’t wait for some improvement.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Every part of human existence is negatively affected by alcohol. That includes the brain for sure. And that is true even for non-alcoholics.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me it was living a life where my mind was almost entirely preoccupied with thinking about drinking or thinking about trying to stop an out of control binge. There wasn't room for much else.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Alcohol pickles the brain, literally. After a really bad binge I have problems telling the time and understanding dates. It's really terrifying. I forget everything and can't keep track of normal conversations. Always a few steps behind....

I'm patially deaf too so all available capacity for hearing goes out the window.

The mental clarity does return though, just give it a bit of sober time
Old 10-10-2019, 09:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

God...I needed this reminder today. I have been romanticizing alcohol a bit lately. I don't miss the brain fog and forgetting what I did/said the day before -- even on days I didn't drink.

Blech.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes, absolutely I have noticed this Takeaction.

I have a 1st class degree but I can't even manage to string a basic sentence together these days. I forget the most basic words and I have to google everything because I only have small pieces of information left in my brain. I punch the pieces I have into google to recover the whole. I am coming up for 3 months and the brain fog hasn't left yet.

There is an improvement though. I am self-employed and I went through a period where my staff kept leaving because I was so snappy to work with. I am less moody/irritable and I am more productive in my work life again.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Its crazy to know that a habit became a full span addition. I’ve been out on a 30 day final write up. If I don’t improve overall at work I’m out the door. It’s scary because I’ve established a career for myself and it’s slipping through my fingers. Today is day three (again) for me, but this time I see how negatively alcohol affects me as opposed to helping me relax from the negative. I’ve been getting headaches the last couple of days too. I’m holding on!
Old 10-10-2019, 11:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well done on day 3 Takeaction!

I remember the headaches in the beginning. Keeping hydrated helped .
Old 10-10-2019, 04:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

For the longest time I was not able to remember anything. Short term and long term memory. My wife would get so frustrated with me cuz I would always ask what is going on today. She would reply that she told me yesterday or a couple days ago. The fog has mostly lifted and am now able to remember things we talk about for the most part. Just have to wonder how many brain cells I have destroyed with the drinking. Feeling great on day 17.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Absolutely feel this myself, today at work my work mate told me I had a memory like a seive and I know it's from drinking..