Notices

Day Two - thirty hours into my detox

Old 10-02-2019, 01:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day Two - thirty hours into my detox

I am thirty hours into my detox. Yesterday was horrendous as I suffered several panic attacks and felt anxious all day, however I medicated with 20 mg of diazepam (valium) which took the edge of the torment. Today I am feeling much better, but already had a brief anxiety attack.

I have ordered magnesium, b vitamins and omega 3 which should be delivered today. Is there anything else I can do? If I stick with this, I should be three months' sober on New Year's Day, which is a nice albeit unintended consequence and something to work towards.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Auchieshuggle

A few things I learned from years of detox - keep hydrated, try to do normal familiar things to get through the day, and listen to your body - don't be afraid to call for help if you need it

Beyond that - by our rules the only medical advice we can really give you here is to see your doctor if you're concerned or the anxiety gets debilitating.

I know you're in Scotland and the NHS is not great - but it's still the best advice.

All the best,
D
Old 10-02-2019, 04:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I like your plan and you will be surprised how much those vitamins will help you.
You got this!
Old 10-02-2019, 05:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on Day 2.

I like your forward plan too. What a nice thought - 3 months sober for NY.

It sounds like you have it covered pretty well. In the first few weeks, I cut myself a break and allowed myself to watch box sets to unwind and went out for walks (I got myself out of the city and into the countryside which somehow reduced my anxiety). Sounds daft but drinking lots of water really helped too - I was getting headaches to start but found lots of water helped that.

I think you are onto a win with your plan and great attitude!
Old 10-02-2019, 05:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

stay hydrated with fluids not just water
seek out medical advice
you can do this
Old 10-02-2019, 05:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have zero experience with detox, just wild cravings. I cannot help with tips and advice, but consider me there with you, and more than anything, wanting you to get through this to start your recovery.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you are posting- I had a terrible experience detoxing; I tell this around here a lot, as I went cold turkey. Which brings me to -

Is the valium doctor prescribed- and for you not another person? I made a commitment to be completely honest with all drs, do what they said, and not anything else, re meds, my drinking, everything.

NY and future dates are awesome to think about being sober to enjoy. BUT I couldn't think much about turning 40 sober that Aug when I was on day two in Feb.

Dee and others said it best- take care of yourself. Whatever you do, don't drink.

Glad you are here.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think listening to your body is the best advice. If you're tired, then rest. Try to get some exercise and be kind to yourself. Your body is going through a lot.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Get medical help if you need it. Lots of fluids and easy food like soup and/or crackers, toast, rice. Whatever you do - don't drink if you feel bad. That will just prolong the withdrawal.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you to everybody who has replied.

I had my last drink at 03:30 on Tuesday 1 October, after waking up following a binge and drinking the remnants of the bottles I had left, as well as a can of beer I found. I promised myself I would do Sober For October and so remember feeling bad as I had lasted just 3.5 hours!

However, as I type it is now 12:20 here on Friday 4 October, and I haven't touched a drop. Neither have I smoked a cigarette. However, I am still anxious and was going to leave the house to get some food and cleaning materials, but had a heart palpitation (more of a heart 'flutter') which elicited a panic attack. Is this normal, still? I know everybody suffers differently, but I worry that this is a symptom of an underlying heart condition or something serious. I daren't bother my GP again, as I have bugged him enough during the last couple of days - I have a sick note for work and extra diazepam.

I have reduced my diazepam consumption: Tuesday (20 mg), Wednesday (10 mg) and yesterday just 5 mg. Today I have also taken 5 mg.

Online it does suggest withdrawal can take five days. It also suggests there can be withdrawal from nicotine too.

What's everybody's thoughts? I am scared, but also excited at having done this so far.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had a lot of anxiety and physical symptoms like you are describing...mine lasted a while.

The anxiety and nervous system disruption lasted a lot longer than a week - it was many months, although it became more manageable after about nine-ten days.

I took walks outside, ate good nutritious food on a schedule, listened to quiet instrumental music online, and stayed away from contentious people.

This helped me a lot:

Quiet Box - Box Breathing
Old 10-04-2019, 08:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am glad you are still with us Auchieshuggle. You are really going for this! I enjoy reading your courage.

I remember struggling with nervousness when I stopped smoking. Your GP is there to help but if you don't want to go in again then I think you could probably have a chat with the NHS helpline and get their advice?

Great that you have a plan with the benzo's but remember its not a race. I am probably going against the grain here but I think that it's ok to do whatever you need to do to stay alcohol-free and functioning with the support of your GP.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't envy you right now. I went through detoxing last month and the anxiety attacks were unbearable. I had a full-blown panic attack during an AA meeting and had to leave. I probably should have stayed out of public places.

I need to remind the horrible detoxes I've had every time I am tempted to have that first drink because that drink invariably turns into an expensive week long bender.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anxiety is very normal in early recovery. Hopefully it will ease up soon.

Good job on getting this far.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I don't envy you right now. I went through detoxing last month and the anxiety attacks were unbearable. I had a full-blown panic attack during an AA meeting and had to leave. I probably should have stayed out of public places.

I need to remind the horrible detoxes I've had every time I am tempted to have that first drink because that drink invariably turns into an expensive week long bender.
I walked to the local shop with a friend an hour ago. I was going to turn back as I could feel the anxiety building, however my friend was insistent I went a bit further and I managed to get to the shop and back without having a full-blown panic attack.

Thanks for your reply. It's reassuring to know this happens to other people.

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I had a lot of anxiety and physical symptoms like you are describing...mine lasted a while.

The anxiety and nervous system disruption lasted a lot longer than a week - it was many months, although it became more manageable after about nine-ten days.

I took walks outside, ate good nutritious food on a schedule, listened to quiet instrumental music online, and stayed away from contentious people.

This helped me a lot:

Quiet Box - Box Breathing
I have added the link to my phone, thanks. It's good to know that yours became more manageable after nine/ten days. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Lucinda2 View Post
I am glad you are still with us Auchieshuggle. You are really going for this! I enjoy reading your courage.

I remember struggling with nervousness when I stopped smoking. Your GP is there to help but if you don't want to go in again then I think you could probably have a chat with the NHS helpline and get their advice?

Great that you have a plan with the benzo's but remember its not a race. I am probably going against the grain here but I think that it's ok to do whatever you need to do to stay alcohol-free and functioning with the support of your GP.
The only reason I am not smoking is the fear of having a heart attack! Though really I have got to continue with it, especially now I have come this far. I think the nicotine withdrawal definitely adds to it. Thanks for your reply.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The body will physically clear out all the alcohol in roughly 24 hours. So technically, you are detoxed and you are sober.
​​​​​
From here on in, it's the mental struggle that begins and this is the crucial part.

What are you going to do ? Go it alone, basically go it alone with cyber support, attend therapy, join AA, join another sober type program, join AA and take the steps ?

Studies show the best chance of success is with peer support in a face to face scenario.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My personal opinion is you are withdrawing from everything! And I wouldn't withdraw from the benzo until...you were good with the cig and the alcohol....if it were me.....

The anxiety for me...after I drink a binge (week at a time)….the anxiety takes a full 2 weeks to subside for ME.....its horrendous and relentless....but today I have 15 days and finally I didn't have to take my benzo till 2pm...all previous days I had to take one early in day around 10am and then at 2...and then at bed.

Now it is in the afternoon and at bed...and I feel much better....Alcohol especially as you get older...wreaks havoc on anxiety.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auchieshuggle View Post
The only reason I am not smoking is the fear of having a heart attack! Though really I have got to continue with it, especially now I have come this far. I think the nicotine withdrawal definitely adds to it. Thanks for your reply.
But even if the nicotine withdrawal is adding to it right now you are going to feel totally great when you come out the other side.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Derringer View Post
The body will physically clear out all the alcohol in roughly 24 hours. So technically, you are detoxed and you are sober.
​​​​​
From here on in, it's the mental struggle that begins and this is the crucial part.

What are you going to do ? Go it alone, basically go it alone with cyber support, attend therapy, join AA, join another sober type program, join AA and take the steps ?

Studies show the best chance of success is with peer support in a face to face scenario.
Technically, you're right. However the damage done to the brain and nervous system in general results in anxiety and cravings out of desperation - so whilst 'sober' the individual is still 'under the influence' of the drug.

I understand your point, though. I'm going to go for cyber support, therapy and AA! I am in the fortunate position to have all of those resources at my disposal, so I might as well utilise them all.

Thanks again for your reply.

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
My personal opinion is you are withdrawing from everything! And I wouldn't withdraw from the benzo until...you were good with the cig and the alcohol....if it were me.....

The anxiety for me...after I drink a binge (week at a time)….the anxiety takes a full 2 weeks to subside for ME.....its horrendous and relentless....but today I have 15 days and finally I didn't have to take my benzo till 2pm...all previous days I had to take one early in day around 10am and then at 2...and then at bed.

Now it is in the afternoon and at bed...and I feel much better....Alcohol especially as you get older...wreaks havoc on anxiety.
I totally agree with you. I am going to take each day as it comes, though. If my anxiety becomes unbearable or a problem I will take one, if I can get through it without them though, I will do. I have them with me, and that is helpful in itself.

Thanks again for your input.

Originally Posted by Lucinda2 View Post
But even if the nicotine withdrawal is adding to it right now you are going to feel totally great when you come out the other side.
That's the plan! I really hope so...one day at a time. Thanks.