Notices

Day 1

Old 10-04-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Have been lurking on this site for a long time and have got to know most of you.

I am a wine drinker, a bottle every night for years. Tired now of the lethargy next day, want to stop. I have always known I have a problem with alcohol, if I am in a social situation I always want more wine. But have nevet had a drink during the day. Realise that means nothing!

I want to stop the nightly ritual of alcohol so I can be more focused next day. Retired and babysit grand kids during the day most days.

Thank you to all.

Old 10-04-2019, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. You have come to the right place for help and support. Changing your normal routine of drinking takes a lot of work, but many have managed to do it. Stick around and let people know what's going on with you. You'll get tons of advice on what you can do to cut the cycle. John
Old 10-04-2019, 04:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support and useful advice for getting sober for good.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking.

My suggestion would be to plan ahead to be doing something different in the evenings. Maybe you could go for a walk, go to the gym, have coffee with a friend, whatever it takes to change your routine.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Deidre - this is a place of great encouragement and support.

Whey not check out our Class of October support thread - it's for anyone quitting this month. All you have to do to join is post

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7281565

D
Old 10-04-2019, 05:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Deirdre21 View Post
Have been lurking on this site for a long time and have got to know most of you.

I am a wine drinker, a bottle every night for years. Tired now of the lethargy next day, want to stop. I have always known I have a problem with alcohol, if I am in a social situation I always want more wine. But have nevet had a drink during the day. Realise that means nothing!

I want to stop the nightly ritual of alcohol so I can be more focused next day. Retired and babysit grand kids during the day most days.

Thank you to all.

What Dee said! Come and join the Oct/2019 group. I’m there with the same bottle a night problem. It is becoming more than a bottle, though.....enough. I’m on day five wine free. Welcome!
Old 10-04-2019, 05:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The good news is you want to stop...So now is the action of stopping...plan the day...maybe on the weekend if you don't have the kids...say to yourself...I'm done..and get some things in place...lots of fluids...and time to rest.....

Its not just going to happen you have to decide a day....I hope you do it and I hope you feel better so that you can keep doing it.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome!
Old 10-04-2019, 09:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. I love your name
I hope you find the support here I did when I first quit. And you will.
Yes, join a group, start your own threads do whatever it takes. That's what I had to do.
Whatever it takes. One day at a time.
Best to you.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome and keep logging on! We know you can do this!
Old 10-05-2019, 01:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome ..same with wine ..bottle a evening and was sneaking into more

Good luck ! Week in for me and lovely not having the death feeling every morning ! Evenings are tough though , gotta keep strong !
Old 10-05-2019, 02:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello there and congratulations on your DAY 1 xxx
Old 10-05-2019, 02:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your warm words of encouragement. I am going to do this. Not much sleep last night without the wine, watched 4 episodes of Unbelievable on Netflix. Feeling fairly good this morning but tired. Going to do a plan later today on how to occupy myself each evening after 8pm.

Thanks again to you all.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Originally Posted by Deirdre21 View Post
Thank you all for your warm words of encouragement. I am going to do this. Not much sleep last night without the wine, watched 4 episodes of Unbelievable on Netflix. Feeling fairly good this morning but tired. Going to do a plan later today on how to occupy myself each evening after 8pm.

Thanks again to you all.
Welcome to SR.
You 'occupy yourself' by replacing a bad habit (drinking booze) with a good habit. It takes time to undo the ritual and your body/mind are going to fight it but, stay strong.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Deirdre - from another 'retired helping to look after the grandchild' (one in my case), minimum of one bottle of wine a night now ex-drinker, greetings!

You can do this. You really can but I agree, based on my experience, that you need a plan. Mine was very simple: (1) stop lurking - you've done that - and join 'your' monthly class. Mine was June. (2) Read and post every day. It's amazing how quickly you make virtual friends and how, in turn, that somehow makes you feel both supported and accountable. (3) Add one bit of exercise to whatever you do now even if it is just a 5 minute walk round the block and do it every day. (4) make a spreadsheet and record how much you,save each day by not buying wine. (5) maybe get your blood pressure, heart rate etc checked out and then check it againweekly or monthly to see the difference not drinking alcohol makes.

If you had told me on 21 June that I would be celebrating 100 days plus of sobriety and that the inevitability of 'needing' my bottle of wine everyday no longer seemed either necessary or inevitable I would quite simply not have believed you. And yet......

Best of luck.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks all again for your input. Tonight is hard, 2nd night without the wine. Getting there, am determined. Ate take-away, reading at the minute and have to do a ‘taxi-run’ to pick up my daughter after midnight.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you joined us & decided to post, Deirdre. I know you can do this - I drank 30 yrs. & now have over 11 sober. Being able to talk things over here on SR has meant the world to me. No one else in my life really understood.

Congratulations on your 2nd night without wine. We feel a bit disoriented at first, but it gets better & easier as we go along. You're doing a great thing for yourself.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So proud of you.....its so hard and you are doing this...…
Routing for you and your family.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome! I too was a bottle of wine plus a night person for years.
Echoing what others have said here and that changing the nightly habits has been crucial for me.
The first week may be tough as your mind and body will be screaming but it really does get better and better.
Make a plan and check in often.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Deirdre - just a friendly hello and congratulations on your day 2, shortly hopefully to be your day 3. Stick with it and you will come to love your decision to kick the wine bottle into touch!.