Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When the wind blows how strong are your roots, Weekender - Weekenders 04 - 07 October 2019

Notices

When the wind blows how strong are your roots, Weekender - Weekenders 04 - 07 October 2019

Old 10-04-2019, 12:25 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

There may have been Mags - its a lovely park and area nowadays but it wasn't always so salubrious LOL

D
Old 10-04-2019, 01:08 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Some lovely trees arriving on these pages. I often walk in a ancient woodland with my dogs. It is called Epping Forest. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epping_Forest.

This is not my image but a tree I often sit by. It over looks a small pond called Warren Pond in which Alfie swims, Matilda just sits as she is very old now (nearly 19). Children often play in the roots as you can literally climb under it and out the other side.

A beautiful spot. Sadly in 2017 the tree was set on fire by vandals but luckily it was saved in time by the fire brigade. It is believed to be over 500 years old.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:44 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thought as much Dee!

Hiya Ravel, pleased you’ve got plans for the weekend, a zoo trip sounds great.

Kaily, I’ve heard of Epping forest though never been. If my husband saw that tree, he’d do exactly the same. Climb through it! He still thinks he 10, I’m sure. .
Matilda, bless her, what a great age. hug for Alfie too

Sober Friday sounds a good plan.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:52 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Morning all Happy Friday! Payday Friday too, once meant the drinking was extra 'spirited'. Now it's just savings in the bank for that next project or purchase -another ukulele? Or maybe just extra gas, Dragon Son passed his drivers test yesterday.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:02 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Congratulations to Dragon Son on his license!

My son still doesn't have his, and he turns 18 in January!!! It's a long story why he doesn't. Partly it's because his old mother is very busy and barely has time to take him driving, and the fact that his father has yet to step up and take him even once. I'm bitter about that. It's typical of him though. I have to specifically ask him to do anything for his own kid, and even then there seems to often be an excuse as to why he can't. Maybe this is why we are divorced??? OK. Rant over.

Looking forward to the weekend, even though it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow. I need to finish some painting I started as part of the remodel, and do some cleaning and organizing. I can only do so much, because there is so much stuff in places it doesn't belong because of having to empty out the kitchen and other rooms. Things are rather chaotic at my house.

Then maybe Sunday I can relax and watch lots of baseball. That's the plan, anyway.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:34 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Morning all Happy Friday! Payday Friday too, once meant the drinking was extra 'spirited'. Now it's just savings in the bank for that next project or purchase -another ukulele? Or maybe just extra gas, Dragon Son passed his drivers test yesterday.
Trust me - you'll need extra gas money now. Congrats to Dragon Son!

In my area, I don't think we're known for our trees - cacti for sure, trees not so much, although cacti generally don't live more than 100 years or so. Still, doesn't mean I can't have some solid roots

I am loving the old pictures just the same - our planet is an amazing place.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:36 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I'm loving all these different trees. Wow that yew tree is gnarly saoutchik, but I guess I would be too if I was 2000 years old.

A redwood was our favourite tree growing up. It's funny because it's from california, apparently the largest tree in the world, planted in the middle of the welsh countryside. It towers over everything else for miles and was introduced 150 years ago. I'll show a picture when my post count is high enough.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:17 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

In a bit of coincidence...

There has been a tree right outside the window where I am sitting right now for all of the 27 years I've lived here. There are four of them, alders. Many of the alders in the area have started dying, as well as other large trees like Big Leaf Maples, and no one can figure out why. The alders here are about 100 feet tall and hundreds of little birds spent time outside my window eating the seeds and brought me endless entertainment. Osprey and eagles perched in the dying top to scout for fish in the river below.

Yesterday it was cut down. The whole top of it was dead and pieces had fallen onto the roof, and with our $4 million dollar building exterior upgrade, we really couldn't afford to keep them three feet away from the building. I was 100% behind having them removed. They were dying.

And yet, today there is a void in the world and an empty spot in my life.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Mr

I didn't know that there was a post count in order to post a pic.

Fill the spot Bim. Plant something in a pot !
Maybe a curcuma plant.

It's home time.
Been a tester of a day.
I would love one of these tomorrow morning

Attached Images
Old 10-04-2019, 08:00 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I look forward to seeing your Redwood NewOne.

That is sad Bim, are they going to plant a new tree in its place?

Another coincidence I just received this email about free trees for London.

I am proud to announce that we are working with the Woodland Trust and with support from players of the People’s Postcode Lottery, to give away 30,000 trees to Londoners. As Mayor of the world’s first National Park City - this is part of my commitment to help make London greener, healthier and wilder.

For a chance to get two free trees to help make your garden greener click on the link below.

You will be entered into a London-wide ballot to win one of the tree packs. The winning entries will be selected at random from all Londoners that apply. You will be notified whether or not you have been successful by the Woodland Trust in mid-November.

I am now in the draw!
Old 10-04-2019, 08:10 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Oh Vman I could eat that right now. Yum! Although I am pescatarian and on a diet. ... better stick to my boiled broccoli.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:12 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

VMan, of all the many possiblities, why curcuma? Isn't that a short bush? Maybe I have that wrong.

Honestly, I am not one for liking trees next to buildings. I've lived in too many houses with heavily wooded lots, it's just asking for trouble during our NW winters. If it's not damage to buildings, it's spending days cleaning up after storms. I will be happy if nothing takes the place of the alder. I can see the river now! Otters and Blue Heron, salmon, deer, dozens of water fowl, I am happy to live tree-free. Across the river are hundreds of huge trees I can enjoy - on someone else's nickel and they have to worry about them.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:26 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
I didn't know that there was a post count in order to post a pic.

Fill the spot Bim. Plant something in a pot !
Maybe a curcuma plant.

It's home time.
Been a tester of a day.
I would love one of these tomorrow morning

Y'all call that a fry-up don't you? I've heard "a proper English breakfast" but you're Irish iirc. My own people in the Ozarks hills would call something similar a good country breakfast, but there'd probably be biscuits and gravy instead of toast.

Hang in there, VMan! These are the times that try men's souls as they say, I think that was Thomas Paine.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:36 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders!

Count me in! ☼
Old 10-04-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Oh, man. If I had an actual kitchen right now I'd be doing a sort of fry-up for breakfast tomorrow morning. No toast for me. Just eggs, bacon, sausage, sauteed mushrooms and peppers and onions. Making myself hungry right now thinking about it.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:07 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Bim! I remember you talking about the tree. I'm glad your life's work has finally paid off. :P

Breakfast food is some of my favorite...haven't gotten to have a good one with eggs, toast, bacon and the works for a long time, since I work every weekend. Although I do think eggs might be my favorite breakfast item....lol, making myself hungry now too.

Another day at the office, but it is fall now!! At least I hope it sticks. Got to wear a sweater and scarf with some cute boots and I feel the pumpkin spice energy flowing through my white girl veins.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Mr

LOL we are all hungry now.
Sorry.

Great to see you Snazzy !
Old 10-04-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Magsie

Vman that breakfast looks good and well deserved I’d say for your testing day.

Congratulations to Dragon’s son!

Bim, it must be lovely where you live and all the wildlife and plenty of trees, just not too close to you. My neighbours trees lean over our way for the sun and drop all their leaves in our drive and garden. Nightmare clean up.
The trees are nice though, they sound like they’re whispering when the wind blows.

MLD you’ve a lot on your plate at the moment, so to speak. Hopefully you’ll soon be shipshape with a new kitchen.

We’ve just had ribe-eye steak, mushrooms peas and chips. And Mr. Mags made peppercorn sauce if we wanted it! I’m stuffed now. Mind you I’ve some ice-cream with my name on it in the freezer. Happy Days.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:54 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Mr

Bim yes curcuma can be an indoor or balcony potted plant. Nice plant with lovely flowers.
The roots give curcuma spice.
It was only a suggestion to fill the void
Old 10-04-2019, 10:06 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Second time I am posting this - it has been ages since I lost a post.

A Giant Redwood in Wales must look an impressive sight.

Congratulations Kaily, I have heard of that Woodland Trust project although sadly Saoutchik Towers does not possess a garden.

Congratulations to junior Dragon on passing his driving test, that is a big deal.

That breakfast does look good, i'm mostly not eating meat but I might have one or two of those around Christmas.

Hometime here. I won't be "waiting for my man" this weekend or any other but here is the Velvet Underground singing about just that. I should warn people that there are a couple of brief stills of drug taking but nothing that would trigger (just the opposite)
https://youtu.be/Kla_Jd7EyT4

YT]Kla_Jd7EyT4[/YT]