Notices

So I went 10 days

Old 10-02-2019, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I went 10 days

I went 10 days. Which is really good for me. I turned 40 this week, it was the first sober birthday since I've been 16 so 24 years. I'm on the edge of commitment. It's something I know has been a long time coming but its hard.

My job as a chef/Captain/ fishing guide has me in happy vacation spots always which I love. But in the Caribbean its normal to have a beer at 7 am. I just started a new job on a nice yacht, the crew doesn't seem like party animals so thats good but they invited me out to their weekly ritual at a restaurant and football. I don't wan't to not fit in because a crew is a team and don't want to be the odd man out off the start.

I usually take travelling jobs always leaving. This boat mostly stays at the same spot so maybe I can join a gym or find a local meeting? My job is weird that I live with who I work with so I can't brush off co workers and just go home
Old 10-02-2019, 08:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Ten days sober is great! You'll just have to dig deep in your soul to find the self-discipline to say "no thanks" to alcohol. It can be done. I was an alone drinker and I quit. If you want to stay sober, you must want to be sober more than you want to drink. Not easy, but simple.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hey 10 days is how it starts. Sobriety can be a progression as well.

BTW your icon is scary AF LOL!
Old 10-02-2019, 11:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

ten days is a good start

I think it's possible to be the non drinking guy and still be part of the crew and to fit in. I have saikling mates who do not drink.

I do remember my insecurity played merry hell with me about that in my 20s and 30s but I wish I'd been mature enough to stop back then instead of destroying my health, my relationships and my career and stopping at 40 cos I was literally nearly dead.

I've never had more fun or a more active social life than I do now since I quit drinking. True story

D
Old 10-03-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

as a chef, if one of the "team" had a food allergy, the kind that can kill a person, would you make sure to prepare non-allergen foods for that person, or would the crew person just try to eat "like everyone else" to fit in?
Old 10-03-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

10 days is great!

Your job sounds really good, and I hope that you can become comfortable with being the non-drinker in the group. It's helpful that it's a weekly ritual rather than a daily one, so you can prepare yourself.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

10 days is fab! Good plan about mixing up your work/live life with something else outside of that. I think for most of us when we quit drinking adding some new routines in helps.