Notices

Longest I’ve ever been sober and reflections

Old 10-01-2019, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Longest I’ve ever been sober and reflections

Good morning, I just took the painstaking process of looking through the posts I’ve made since first joining this board. I guess I had to remind myself of the fact that I’ve been struggling with alcohol for years now. In my first posts, I had been making sporadic embarrassments to my family that I would regret and randomly post on in dramatic fashion since I was usually on day 1. Then my saga progressed to suffering from 2 injuries related to falls while drinking. This quickly escalated during the same time to multiple DUI arrests in a very quick time. I now have 10 months sober which is the longest I’ve ever gone. It was useful for me to see the rapid progression of this disease and the fact that it just gets worse. Consequences can ramp up quickly. It was somewhat depressing, but I did not nip this in the bud when I first noticed a problem over 3++ years ago. If I had, I would not of had to deal with 3 DUIs. I absolutely have good days and bad ones and have a lot to deal with from legal and mental fall out. It is evident however, that drinking does not work for me. This disease is scary progressive. I used alcohol to self medicate extreme anxiety disorders. I’m still left with anxiety and now depression to figure out. Alcohol was NOT the answer.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 10 months, Lilly!

I am also left with anxiety and depression to wade through. It's work, but the only way to do it is sober.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It sounds like you're learning from your mistakes. I am, too. We'll get through it. Like you said, alcohol isn't the answer. No alcohol is the only way.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Big congratulations!
Old 10-01-2019, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice work LL. Going back and looking at my old posts is always instructive.

Getting sober didn't solve all my problems either. But it does give us the space, time, energy and ability to try and sort out the rest of life's messes.

Congrats on your sober time. Great stuff.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome on your ten months. Yeah I haven't really looked at my old post from 5 months ago but as far as like you saying DUIs and all that well I'm part of the DUI Club let me tell you and again all of it is because of booze you know yeah I got regrets but you know what I'm moving forward I can't dwell on the past you know it sucks but what are you going to do I'm grateful right now that I'm above ground and I got to clear mind and I'm sober life is good
Old 10-01-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on tackling this problem head-on and doing what needs to be done. We all know it is difficult but bleating and crying and wishing will get no-one anywhere. Determined action is all that gives one a chance.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on your hard-earned sober time.

I suspect those DUI's may have helped you make a decision to seek help for your alcoholism.

I needed consequences to come to that decision, too.

Glad you're here.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, it’s s hard pill to swallow the consequences but they made my need to change evident!
Old 10-01-2019, 06:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 10 months sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lilly- I used booze for years not understanding it was to medicate against c-PTSD and later on, major depression. No- it did not work for me either. To deal with the depression, I have done stuff with CBT and ACT through psychologists. It has helped me a lot, as does getting support for recovery here and journal writing.

Support to you.