Notices

What the hell

Old 10-01-2019, 05:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What the hell

is wrong with me cancelled doctors and close to breaking point
Old 10-01-2019, 05:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You know what is wrong and cancelling the doctor only means you are not ready to do something about it now.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sometimes we have to do things that terrify us. Being scared is totally normal. Change is scary and facing reality is scary. But not addressing this situation is much scarier.

Can you call and get your appointment back?
Old 10-01-2019, 05:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have a lot of years of suffering, MT2.

I think you deserve to get yourself out of this.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do it for your kids if you can't do it for yourself.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's why I asked, "What happens if your doctor tells you something you don't want to hear?" Like you're an alcoholic and need to do x,y,z.

Nothing wrong with you. It makes perfect sense.

Cancelling the appointment means you don't have to tell the doctor what's going on, don't have to hear what the doctor will say.....and you don't have to decided whether or not to do what she tells you to do to stop drinking.

All us alcoholics are very good about not hearing the truth, or censoring it when we do hear it, and we all have a hundred very very very "legitimate" reasons why we can't do what it takes to stop drinking.

"Close" to the breaking point ain't the breaking point.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

These things are not just happening to you Mum, all of them are within your control. It's your choice to give in to the desire to drink, just as it could be your choice to change your life.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can’t do it it’s in the genes I’ve tried so hard
Old 10-01-2019, 06:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

you are using excuses Mummyto2. It is in the genes is ********. Many generations have gone without alcohol available. You may have a genetic predisposition to become an alcoholic once you start drinking. It takes a lot of money and effort to become and alcoholic. And it takes a lot of time and effort to stop drinking.

I have never heard that stopping was harder for those who had alcoholism running in the family. Two days ago you were convinced this was not a disease. Now you are drinking and you keep finding yourself excuses. If you saw it as a genetic disease (any other genetic disease) you would run to the doctors.

If you have seen alcohol running in the family you also know the damages it causes to everybody around. Keep drinking; it is your choice. Try to own it at least.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry if I sound harsh. I guess I am so scared of relapsing that every time I read about someone else's relapse I get a bit angry. I know you must be suffering, but that will not help you or anybody around you. It only adds to the misery of alcohol.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 View Post
I can’t do it it’s in the genes I’ve tried so hard
Everyone on this board, sober or not, can relate. None of us chose to have these addictions.

What you do with the life you've been given (and I think I can say blessed with, from what you say about your children) is entirely up to you.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Mummy,

You can stop this. My dad was an alcoholic, he died from health conditions related to alcoholism. I will have four years sober on January 1st. It took me being willing to do the work, and that meant whatever it takes to get sober.

I am a better mom, and much happier person sober. Why don’t you call the doctor’s office back and reschedule that appointment. You deserve sobriety, and your kids deserve a sober and healthy mom.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I’m sorry you canceled your appointment. I agree with some of the possibilities mentioned as reasons why you might choose not to go to the doctor. Hearing solutions like go to rehab or go to AA etc in real life is a bit more formal than reading what you already know on an anonymous forum. I’m sure that this point you’ve realized you have the problem that almost everyone on here has... Alcoholism. I’m throwing another possibility out there... are you still drinking and can’t go?
Old 10-01-2019, 07:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You sound like me. I was completely powerless over alcohol. There was no human power that could relieve my alcoholism. If there was, then my daughter would have been it. I had to find a power greater than me and I was so broken and so desperate I prayed to God to help me. To let me live and to live sober. Since that day I havent had a drink and that was over 17 months ago. Yes I have to put in the action. My plan of action is AA but my Higher Power is always my initial defence against that FIRST drink. Find that power today mummy

🙏❤🙏❤
Old 10-01-2019, 07:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mummy, I'm sorry that you cancelled your doctor's appointment. It's hard to reach out for help, but I think you know that you need to add something to yur recovery program in order to stay sober. You can do this!
Old 10-01-2019, 07:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Please reschedule the appointment and get support.

You deserve it and so does your family.
They need you—the real you, not you with addiction dragging you down.

We have all been right where you are now. This is the tipping point to accept the truth of your addiction, that you have not been able to beat it with willpower, and that you need professional help to beat this.

If you were sick with pneumonia, would you deny yourself a doctor’s visit and medications to save yourself and heal?

Have you talked to your husband about what to do? He is hugely impacted by your drinking. Does he think you need support?
Old 10-01-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Can someone go with you to the doctors? Someone to
support you, drive and be strong by your side? Someone
you can trust?
Old 10-01-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ColoradoRocky View Post

Cancelling the appointment means you don't have to tell the doctor what's going on, don't have to hear what the doctor will say.....and you don't have to decide whether or not to do what she tells you to do to stop drinking.
This.

Drinking is a choice. Cancelling appointments is a choice. When you truly want to be sober, you will make the choice of being sober over being drunk. For some people, this choice isn't easy to do alone. We are addicts and some of us need professional help. You need to accept outside help and make real changes to your plan. I believe your answer to me once was 'I'm adding to my plan as I go' or something like that, but you didn't really say WHAT you were adding.

A solid plan and a desire to be sober more than being drunk will put you on the road to success.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

What is the purpose of this appointment? My understanding is you have been sober for a bit. Are we checking liver panels? Are we looking for referrals to outpatient programs? Medications to stay stopped?

Maybe I haven’t followed your story long enough but I don’t think you have anything to fear unless you are in active addiction.

And even if you are in active addiction you still don’t need to fear the doctor unless it’s judgement you’re worried about. In that case, taking someone with you may be a good idea.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You know what is wrong with you and you know what you need to do. To reiterate what you already know: you are an alcoholic and you need to stop drinking for good. Only you can do this, nobody on this forum or on the planet can do it for you.