Notices

New need the tips!

Old 09-30-2019, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New need the tips!

Hi All,

So I've been drinking over 5 years now. Got heavier and heavier.

It's usually every other day, sometimes will be a few days in a row, around 90 units a week.

The past year and a half its got this bad, it was usually every 2-3 days a bottle of cider or so.

I've found I've gone from 12 stone to 16 stone in weight, partner is always complaining about the drinking.

It's on a night time, it just makes everything better.

I want to stop but after a day off find myself buying another bottle of cider or whatever.

Just really want to know what is the best way to quit, I have my reasons it's just the cravings and how I feel so much better!

I find it hard to write how I feel exactly but any advise please!
Old 09-30-2019, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome
If you really want to stop, as you mention, and find you can't you may have a problem.
I drank heavily for thirty years and I couldn't stop and it all just kept getting worse. More to drink and unable to stop.
You'll find a lot of support here. If that's not enough a lot of us find face to face meetings helpful, like AA.

But you're not alone as you can see. Not many of us would be here if we didn't have a problem with drink.
I would try your best to cut down. You may not be too far gone to be a full-blown alcoholic yet.
Believe me, it'll save you a lot of misery if you can stop now.
Best to you and I hope you stick around here.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This American didn't understand a word of those units lol
Old 09-30-2019, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nez

It's on a night time, it just makes everything better.
I used to think it made everything better, as well. Why then, did I have a desire to quit. I focused on the why I wanted to quit. Also, I took a good honest hard look at the "makes everything better" train of thought. What did it change to make things better? Could I not achieve it by other means? Turns out that I could and the results were even better than they ever were when I was drinking. Sobriety was not a quick and easy solution, but it has been a far more satisfying fix.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It helped me to join the 'thirty day experiment' by Annie Grace. It's free and you can look it up online. It helped mostly because I found I couldn't go anything like thirty days at first. I had to get really desperate to quit. But, not everyone is like that, there are a lot of people who don't have nearly the problem with alcohol that I had but who just want to get healthy, lose weight, live life more. It's a good site for that.
SR is the best help I've found. I hope you let us know how you're doing!
Old 09-30-2019, 10:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Andy, I’m in the UK too. I understand 90 units.

(Roughly, 10 units is a bottle of wine).

Clearly you’re not happy drinking that amount, and it’s right you want to stop. Unfortunately, it sounds like you’ve become alcohol dependent now, so the only answer is to totally quit as trying to moderate is nigh on impossible now. The good news is quitting is easier than trying to moderate.

But what to do about it? Firstly, accept you’re dependent and need to stop. If you go to your GP and be honest about the 90 units (most people give vague figures, you’ve been very precise which is good), they’ll help. I was prescribed tablets called Campral to reduce alcohol cravings. Tell your GP you want to quit. GPs might not take someone so seriously if they only want to “cut down” on drinking.

I very occasionally drink alcohol free cider, which is way too sweet for me. Have you tried that to wean yourself off the real stuff? The real battle here is knowing that quitting is the only way. It’ll probably be one of the hardest things you’ll ever do, but after a matter of weeks, you’ll be over the worst.

Me, I was a 48 year old on 70 units a week. I weighed 110Kg (BMI 32) and wasn’t in a good way. I lost 20Kg within six months from exercising and not drinking. I couldn’t sleep to start with and the cravings were excruciating, but nearly nine months on, I really don’t want to drink. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome my friend. You are at the right place if you want some insight on how to get well. And get a grip on your life. Starting now. Stick around. ✌