Notices

Money

Old 09-30-2019, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Money

I save about $200 a month not buying alcohol. That is insane. That is a bill. The only bill I have higher than that is rent.
Anyway, that's yet another good reason to stay sober. I buy things for myself and the house now because I'm not focused on making sure I have enough alcohol onhand...running around to different stores because the cashiers knew me.
But I digress. The point was how much money we're all saving by being sober, and we deserve to treat ourselves.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not to be pedantic but saving money is not spending it. Spending on items other than booze is obviously good but it is still spending.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, the fatter wallet is nice.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don’t recommend this to everyone, but I do check out the booze section at my supermarket and gasp at some of the prices. But whilst there are the pricey wines and the imported beer, there is also the cheap stuff which means a person could drink double the healthy limit for around £8 a week ☹️

But we still have to hydrate, and I can’t do it with just water. I like coconut water which isn’t cheap and (I’ll get in trouble for this) I drink the occasional alcohol free (<0.05%) beer which is not as expensive as the real thing but an expense nonetheless.

it’s hard to calculate. Because I’m fitter and more active, I go out and do stuff more. I’ll also eat more. I spend more on clothes because I have the body of a man 😀 now and not a blob. But I definitely don’t spend £5 a day on booze, so I can spend it.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
Not to be pedantic but saving money is not spending it. Spending on items other than booze is obviously good but it is still spending.
I understand. I meant that I buy little things; a pair of jeans, a new picture for a wall. Some goofy pajamas. By saving I didn't mean literally that, I meant not buying alcohol.
That amount for just alcohol is ridiculous.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It really is madness when you think about it. We spend so much money, get into debt etc, for the privilege of poisoning ourselves.

I do like the thought of saving money every day simply by not drinking, it's like being paid to get healthy.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImNotThatGuy View Post
Yeah, the fatter wallet is nice.
Yes, sir.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It is nice to see very tangible results!
Old 09-30-2019, 09:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
I don’t recommend this to everyone, but I do check out the booze section at my supermarket and gasp at some of the prices. But whilst there are the pricey wines and the imported beer, there is also the cheap stuff which means a person could drink double the healthy limit for around £8 a week ☹️

But we still have to hydrate, and I can’t do it with just water. I like coconut water which isn’t cheap and (I’ll get in trouble for this) I drink the occasional alcohol free (<0.05%) beer which is not as expensive as the real thing but an expense nonetheless.

it’s hard to calculate. Because I’m fitter and more active, I go out and do stuff more. I’ll also eat more. I spend more on clothes because I have the body of a man 😀 now and not a blob. But I definitely don’t spend £5 a day on booze, so I can spend it.
Yeah, I remember Walmart's wine section had(has) bottles for $2.97. And some were 12.5-13%. I wasn't a wino but when I did drink wine, that was the place to go. 😒
Coconut water is so good for you, I just don't like the aftertaste. I thought of adding fruit juice or something, but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of its purity? I can do just water, though; sometimes I squeeze about 4 wedges of lemon juice in it. I love lemon.
I'm sure you weren't a blob, but I'm glad you're getting some exercise/activity in. Gets your heart-a-flowin'. 😊
Old 09-30-2019, 09:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lucinda2 View Post
It is nice to see very tangible results!
It really is, Lucinda. 😊
Old 09-30-2019, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've bought lots of things with my beer money - just recently some beautiful lights for autumn in the garden. At dusk I used to be already drunk.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soturi View Post
I'm sure you weren't a blob, but I'm glad you're getting some exercise/activity in. Gets your heart-a-flowin'. 😊
I’m sure I was 🤣 Nowadays I tuck my shirt or polo shirt into my trousers. Before (40+ lbs ago), I used to let it all hang out. It’s tough for guys with bigger bellies to get that shirt and trouser look, but it’s well worth trying.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I paid my car off!
Old 09-30-2019, 02:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewOne View Post
It really is madness when you think about it. We spend so much money, get into debt etc, for the privilege of poisoning ourselves.

I do like the thought of saving money every day simply by not drinking, it's like being paid to get healthy.
I like that idea.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ColoradoRocky View Post
I paid my car off!
Hey, that's awesome! That's what I'm talking about. 💃
Old 09-30-2019, 02:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonnefond87 View Post
I've bought lots of things with my beer money - just recently some beautiful lights for autumn in the garden. At dusk I used to be already drunk.
Me, too. 🙄
Michael's and Ollie's are good places for garden decor. I love to shop for things like that. You can always have things delivered, but sometimes it's fun to just go to a store. Never know what you'll find.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I was drinking daily, which has been a year or so, I was spending about $400 a month (home and at bars), not counting the take-out orders I'd get from restaurants that I normally wouldn't have. Yikes.

I'm still not saving that money though lol...just putting it to better use.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soturi View Post
Yeah, I remember Walmart's wine section had(has) bottles for $2.97. And some were 12.5-13%. I wasn't a wino but when I did drink wine, that was the place to go. 😒
Coconut water is so good for you, I just don't like the aftertaste. I thought of adding fruit juice or something, but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of its purity? I can do just water, though; sometimes I squeeze about 4 wedges of lemon juice in it. I love lemon.
Coconut water being good for you is kinda debatable. Yes, it's good for dehydration, but it's full of sugar.

It's like MyFitnessPal who sends these emails daily with these "healthy" recipes just because they're low carb, low calorie, or low fat. Processed carbs in the form of regular pasta, especially when it's 75% of your dish, is NOT healthy at all.

That's why so many people have issue with losing weight. The perceived notion of what is healthy merely based on calories or carbs is terrible.

I still drank a ton of gatorade when I was in detox, but as soon as all that was over, back to purely Whole Foods.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Originally Posted by abgator View Post
When I was drinking daily, which has been a year or so, I was spending about $400 a month (home and at bars), not counting the take-out orders I'd get from restaurants that I normally wouldn't have. Yikes.

I'm still not saving that money though lol...just putting it to better use.
This, exactly! Spent $400 on booze plus way too much takeout. Probably $5,000-6,000 a year. That’s nuts.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinnacleOR View Post
This, exactly! Spent $400 on booze plus way too much takeout. Probably $5,000-6,000 a year. That’s nuts.
And half the time I got so trashed that I'd wake up the next morning and the food I bought was untouched, still sitting on the counter to be thrown away. It's Florida, most food left out isn't edible the next day. Or I'd spend a couple hours making some kick ass meal with plenty of leftovers, only to forget to put it in the fridge because I started drinking.

I've wasted so much money because of alcohol, not just from the expense of alcohol itself.

Now I give my money to Amazon to feed that addiction lol